Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Focus RS 12,000 miles. Pulled a complete rookie mistake and money shifted into 1st from 2nd trying to get into 3rd. RPM’s shot to like 7k and car went into limp mode, pressed the clutch immediately back in and pulled over. Waited a few minutes, then turned car back on. No codes visible or any problems noticeable. Car drove fine on the way back home. What should I do from here? Planning to go stage 2 on the car in a few months but want to make sure I didn’t mess anything up in the engine.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
You = lucky.

Upgrade your shifter cable bushings to get the slop out of the setup while you're throwing money at the car.

Reactions: big jim

·
Registered
SG2016
41 Posts
My experience is a "money shift" is not a grey area event. You either cause catastrophic damage or none at all. I have done what you done to numerous cars and they all worked perfectly normal afterwards. You should be fine in going forward with your upgrades.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Buy a lottery ticket. If your luck keeps up and you win then get a built motor, if not just continue as normal.

I would be curious as to what the code it threw was, engine overspeed?

·
Registered
991 Posts
OP:
You left out the most important part from your post:
you smashed that gearbox so hard your butt clenched and felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of tiny parts suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced as you pressed the clutch. Changing from second to first at 20mph is tough let alone if you are wot at 6500 in second gear.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
OP:
You left out the most important part from your post:
you smashed that gearbox so hard your butt clenched and felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of tiny parts suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced as you pressed the clutch. Changing from second to first at 20mph is tough let alone if you are wot at 6500 in second gear.
Good council. There is no support group I’m aware of to help with anguish.
OP...from one who has made “money mistakes“ nobody has heard of...
Keep Calm, and Drive On

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
You just have pushed really hard to do a 2nd to 1st.

In most cases money shifts happen on 3-4 upshifts, when you are stupid and do a 3-2 downshift.

Chances are you are fine. Honestly, with the way most people have reported having accidentally done it (myself included) it seems the valve train is fairly robust and can deal with 7500rpm fairly easily.

I cracked like 8100 and got super lucky. Car was fine for its whole life other than the bad head gasket crap.

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well, I have to confess, it happened to me also, at 31K while teasing a Porsche 4s.
This is what my AP recorded:

Then, at 89K was just lazily coming home from work, and this happens:

Never a good sight. This was all that was left of rod #3:

Related? Maybe, maybe not.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Reactions: big jim

·
Registered
1,850 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
forgot the clutch and gas pedal parts.
I would never do a finger tip 3rd to 4th.
I mostly follow how he goes out of 2nd to 3rd, pop it into the middle and then straight up.
There was another video that explained it better I couldn't find it though.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
forgot the clutch and gas pedal parts.
I would never do a finger tip 3rd to 4th.
I rarely if ever miss a shift. Its only happened the once, and when I did, I wasn't using the open palm method.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Relax...I’m not going to say anything about the right way to use your fingers...chill out already!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts