Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so originally I posted asking for anybody else having issues with moisture buildup in the fog light housings. Well, update - even though nobody replied - I pulled the housings and to my surprise, the guy before me installed Diode Dynamics' LED SLF bulbs. So, knowing that the bulbs are of higher quality, I pulled the housings and baked them (175° for about 20 mins). I replaced both of the bulb gaskets with factory gaskets (I had a spare set of H8's sitting around). Installed everything back, drove the car, washed it, looked at the fogs last night, moisture. Again. Took the housing out and looked at the bulb still plugged in, and to my even more surprise, the bulbs have a 2 piece heatsink and you can see light coming through THE BACK of the bulb.

I mean, I could be crazy and this is all by design and I have TWO defective housings where the breather valves are both stuck closed or open, but c'mon. The bulbs shouldn't emit light through the back of the heatsink.

Anybody else running these bulbs in their fogs?

What's the consensus on the BEST fog bulbs? Could I be missing something on what's causing the moisture?

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I bought off the shelf yellow bulbs, the gasket on them should prevent this. I see you've already PM'd Intervention302 for his bulbs so I won't point you in that direction. In my experience, LEDs that need to be run constantly (fogs, headlights, tail lights) tend to either have a large heatsink that causes fitment issues or starts to dim due to the heat so I usually avoid them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Madokami Are these halogen bulbs you bought? Or even the ones from Intervention? I'm thinking that the LED's heatsink on the DD bulbs I currently have have that opening in the back between the two pieces of the heatsink so it doesn't seal properly AND LED's don't get hot enough to evaporate the water particles.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I bought yellow housing halogen bulbs from a local shop. Figured I didn't need anything fancy for fogs. Only LEDs I have are the reverse lights and turn signal lights, no need for heatsinks on those.

Sounds like you've found the issue, there's an opening in the heatsink letting moisture in. Just replace your bulbs with basic AutoZone bulbs to confirm, and nobody that's bought Intervention's bulbs has posted about any issues either.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The fogs are plug and drive

Why did you bake anything with the housing, to replace the fog bulbs you just rotate, pull and replace

I have Diode fogs, I didn't have to redo any gasket or bake anything,,, no moisture

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Madokami Ah, gotcha. I think I'm going to steer away from LED fogs or even headlight bulbs on my other vehicles (sticking with the factory D3S's HID's on this car). I used to love the instant on, clear, crisp light they put out. Then started realizing that there's a reason that they aren't used that often yet (cost is another reason). And I ordered the yellow's from Intervention as soon as he PM'ed me yesterday. Here's to hoping this corrects everything. My passenger side evaporates super quickly although moisture still builds up on heavy rain days. My driver side actually forms larger droplets so I'm hoping/thinking that the heatsink has a bigger hole, because if not, then maybe I have a bad housing. Thankfully they're only about $50-75 to replace.
@Ankah I don't think you grasped the concept of the original issue I've been having. The bulbs were installed correctly, seals/gaskets were not degraded by any means. I replaced the gasket just to be sure and was still getting moisture inside the housing. So, I threw the housing (without the bulb, of course) into my oven at about 175 degrees for about 20 mins to evaporate and get rid of the moisture completely - dry it out. Reinstalled everything snug as a bug and noticed that there was light seeping through the back of each bulb when turned on in between the 2 pieces of the heatsink. That is where I believe the moisture is coming from so I'm getting rid of these Diode Dynamics LED's (bulbs that I didn't purchase, nor originally installed myself) for a set of factory spec halogen bulbs.

This is my daily driver and not garaged at the first sign of precipitation. So I need the fogs un-fogged up on foggy days. :wink-new:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts