Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've never had SS brake lines on a car, but my understanding is that the SS wrap keep the rubber from expanding as much as a normal rubber line providing more fluid pressure to the brakes. Maybe it depends on the quality and design, and again I've never used SS lines, but I see a lot of people recommend them.

I agree with this too. Improving the driver is the best upgrade. Also, drive the car for a couple months before doing anything. What you think its needs after 1 week with change after 1 month of driving.
I've never had SS brake lines on a car, but my understanding is that the SS wrap keep the rubber from expanding as much as a normal rubber line providing more fluid pressure to the brakes. Maybe it depends on the quality and design, and again I've never used SS lines, but I see a lot of people recommend them.

I agree with this too. Improving the driver is the best upgrade. Also, drive the car for a couple months before doing anything. What you think its needs after 1 week with change after 1 month of driving.
I came from motorcycling, where I first discovered the advantages of SS hoses. You are correct, the SS hoses still have rubber lining and coating but all rubber hoses will "breathe" as the brakes are applied. The SS wrap prevents this breathing and results in a rock hard pedal, which improves feel and confidence for me. New rubber hoses actually perform quite well but degrade with use. Also, the only time I can take full advantage of the available brake performance is on the track. I change my fluid when I change pads and I use the Motul RBF600, which has a very high boiling point. I have boiled my fluid in the past on my ST and the brakes still stopped reasonably well with the pedal sagging to the floor.Boiling causes air in the system & air compresses, giving a very soft pedal. When I first changed to EBC Yellow Stuff pads I was really impressed with the performance but noticed a soft pedal. I bled the system several times but the pedal continued to "sag" about an inch and a half... until I installed the SS hoses. Sag is now about 1/2".
My last track day there was a Cayman S in my group that was just slightly quicker than me. When I first noticed him he was a little less than the length of the straight behind me. It took 3 laps for him to overtake me, then I out braked him 'til he got too far ahead of me...about 3 laps. Obviously a much better driver than me but I was THRILLED with the performance of my brakes! I can't wait to drive with him again. I'm waiting 'til Sept for my first track day this year 'cause I'm OLD, 76, and have emphysema...putting me inVERY high risk for Covid 19...so, hopefully I'll hit the track in Sept & Oct. DARTH on the track is one of the GREAYEST thrills of my life. HAVE FUN!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
OK, so I recently got my RS too. I've driven about 4000mi on it. It has a basic Mountune tune/intake on it and is fine. There are lots of things to do so yes, find your goals. If Track Days, they are the most stressing bc of the over heating situation. Ford started with a great car but didn't have enough time to refine it and then stopped. And now it's up to us! This forum is packed full of what to do. OMG make yourself crazy. My take is: Take Ford FMIC block-off plate off, add lower motor mount, Cobb AP w\ProTune, adj rear sway bar, programmable DSC controller if you can afford it, stiffer lowering springs (some are not), some good tires and a good alignment. Take two aspirin and call the rest of us after you do that **** :))

·
Registered
451 Posts
A pro tune or better yet dyno tune (NOT an off the shelf),meth injection and a cat back exhaust. Really noticable power gains, from my own research. I'm stock besides a Mountune cat back and cobb motor mount. I can't afford the risk of a blown engine warranty denial.

·
Registered
62 Posts
im looking for power with reliability, I have a cobb v3 accessport. I want it loud but still cali regulated:/ nothing to major until i get another daily driver.
I tried to keep mods as simple as possible. I suggest you install an aftermarket intercooler, and "hot side" intercooler pipe before you install a tune. Aside from the tune itself, there was noticable performance increase after these two additions.

·
Registered
322 Posts
This car can surely be a black hole of spending if you want...BUT...I think meth injection can give the most bang for your buck overall depending on how frequently you plan to drive...It solves some of the issues the car has with heat and allows easy reversion back to stock very quickly. MI also keeps the intakes valves clean, which keeps performance consistent over the lifetime of the vehicle. You won't gain that much power without a Accessport and tune, but it should help allow the car to keep timing aggressive just by keeping intake temps down (which is part of the stock calculation). Overall, It really depends on your pockets depth and previous driving experience. It's a great car once all the factory kinks are worked out and holds it value extremely well if you treat it right, FULL THROTTLE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. 😈

·
Registered
65 Posts
76 years old, eh ? You must’ve been at Northwestern the year they selected Willie the Wildcat as the mascot . LoL I’m not too far behind you !
Well I was a freshman in Sept of '62 and he seemed well intrenched then. At least John Paynter didn't seem to consider him another freshman.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts