Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everyone, first I hope everyone is safe though these strange times!

I recently bought my RS, I was curious on what types of route. Would love to go straight engine mods, but nee to start from ground-up. Any recommendations where I should start and what to look into to read up on?

·
Registered
760 Posts
What are your expectations?
What is your budget?
Are you willing to live with the hassle of tuning where you make your Focus Rattle Sport vehicle into a Focus Rattle Sport earplug needed edition?

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
My advice is leave it stock for a while and spend your money on improving your driving skills. It’s an awesome car to drive on a twisty road or an auto-x course in stock form. After you’ve honed your skills and you still want more power then go for it.

When I went to the Adrenaline Academy last year I was told to modify the driver, hands down those instructors are pushing the RS to the limits!

I would say they go faster on the stock RS compared to the drivers that had a modded RS (at home).

·
Registered
65 Posts
My advice is leave it stock for a while and spend your money on improving your driving skills. It’s an awesome car to drive on a twisty road or an auto-x course in stock form. After you’ve honed your skills and you still want more power then go for it.
I agree. I did several track days w/instructor in the beginning & 4 different instructors said: MAN, this car is REALLY capable. My '16 is still stock with the exception of Stop Tech drilled rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads & Goodridge stainless braided brae likes. The SS lines made a HUGE improvement to pedal feel. HAVE FUN!!!. I still am improving my driving skills & do not expect to do further mods.Have FUN!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The best thing to start with is a set of goals. Knowing what you want will allow you to make a plan which will save you a lot of money and aggravation.
im looking for power with reliability, I have a cobb v3 accessport. I want it loud but still cali regulated:/ nothing to major until i get another daily driver.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
im looking for power with reliability, I have a cobb v3 accessport. I want it loud but still cali regulated:/ nothing to major until i get another daily driver.
Cali loud means you are limited to the Mountune or Ford Performance exhaust. If you want reliable, an e-tune and intercooler is all you need.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
If you want to be fully Cali legal, you can add the M380 kit with the Mountune IC and one of the mentioned exhausts. Protunes aren't CARB legal, but the M380 is. That being said, the chances of getting found out while running a tune and a bunch of parts is pretty nil. The Mountune IC (without pipes) has a CARB number, but that doesn't mean that other ICs aren't legal but with an EO there's no fight.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I agree. I did several track days w/instructor in the beginning & 4 different instructors said: MAN, this car is REALLY capable. My '16 is still stock with the exception of Stop Tech drilled rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads & Goodridge stainless braided brae likes. The SS lines made a HUGE improvement to pedal feel. HAVE FUN!!!. I still am improving my driving skills & do not expect to do further mods.Have FUN!!
Did you do the SS lines separately from the rest of your brake upgrades? Everything I read said they make almost zero difference.... It's still a rubber line, it just has the SS wrap, which provides zero extra stability or pressure..... It was most likely the fresh fluid and bleeding the lines.

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Did you do the SS lines separately from the rest of your brake upgrades? Everything I read said they make almost zero difference.... It's still a rubber line, it just has the SS wrap, which provides zero extra stability or pressure..... It was most likely the fresh fluid and bleeding the lines.
LOL, hence he is selling a set of SS brake lines. 😁

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
LOL, hence he is selling a set of SS brake lines. 😁
Yeah, I bought them in the kit from Mountune, but it didn't seem worth the effort to install. Different strokes and all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do we have a Bro-Connection happening here?!
I HOPE so.....but this whole forum is a bro connection for me...I love hearing all your RS tales...especially since I am religiously sheltering in place....I'm OLD with emphysema so if I get this bastard I'll be saying "good by".

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've never had SS brake lines on a car, but my understanding is that the SS wrap keep the rubber from expanding as much as a normal rubber line providing more fluid pressure to the brakes. Maybe it depends on the quality and design, and again I've never used SS lines, but I see a lot of people recommend them.

I agree with this too. Improving the driver is the best upgrade. Also, drive the car for a couple months before doing anything. What you think its needs after 1 week with change after 1 month of driving.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts