Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Can anybody tell me if Budget are ok with modifications on the RS?
Mine is standard at the moment, looking at cat back, induction kit/filter, wheel spacers and possibly a remap. I’m not really bothered if they pay out for the mods just that they will insure it with the mods. Other mod friendly, reasonably priced companies about?
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
336 Posts
They are the sort of insurer that don't pay out well when it comes time for a claim, but their premiums might look attractive. Whatever you do don't list wheel spacers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol. The spacers were the one thing I thought would be ok. Have you any idea why that would be?
I’m not too worried about them as an insurance company to tell you the truth, just not keen on contacting them and asking if they do insure modifications.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks JamoRS.
I just read up on it. I nearly bought them last week but put it off while still waiting for an exhaust. I would have just fitted them without thinking I was doing anything illegal. No wonder there was a discount 🙄.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The same goes for increasing track width with after market wheels, take note, many don't. It comes back to you when it all goes badly wrong and you end up on your roof. Insurance companies just love seeing that level of modification

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies Pajoda. I’ve not modded any cars here, I did in the UK. Things are a bit more strict here by the looks of things. Spacers are off the list.
👍

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Its all really annoying. If we want to run tyres for rough tarmac, gravel and snow - I live in Canberra and ski a lot --- there is zero choice. To get anything suitable I have to drop to 17 inch rims 8 inch wide to clear calipers. Got mine from Koya.

The rub is that there are zero lower profile gravel or snow tyres for 17 inch. Best I could do is Pirelli Scorpion ATR 225/60 profile which increases rolling diameter by 50mm. This is the perfect tyre and used by a lot of high performance SUV's. There is no other choice without going to 15 inch rims and changing Brembo's to smaller calipers.

If you modify an SUV in ACT you can increase rolling diameter by 50mm, if you modify a normal car you can increase it by 15mm!! Great. So now I can have the right stuff and am much safer, but illegal, or run my cup 2's on 19's to the snow way below the glass point ... but I'll be safe because I am a 4wd and don't need chains !!!. Then I can slide off the road like a lot of other 4wd's and tip on my side. Moronic.

There is no way to get an engineers certificate to say it is safe. It will not be accepted - so safety is not the issue, it is a hard limit. But I could if it was a hand built car. Bureaucracy rules. BTW, the speedo is only 3% pessimistic with this setup as it is optimistic as standard.

Wonder if I can declare the RS as a high performance SUV, problem solved ;-)

·
Registered
13 Posts
oh man, perfect thread. i came here specially to post this question myself. Unfortunately i have few answers in life no exception here, but i can tell you im with budget direct. they are dirt cheap, i only pay approx. 550 per year (no claims history etc, stock rs). thankfully ive never had any dealings with them beyond renewals, but i have heard other stories of them making it difficult at claim time. Prior to Budget (BD) i was with Virgin who were also pretty cheap, but again never any dealings with beyond renewal.

ive just chatted to BD them and told them i want to do the Mountune M380 upgrade. i told em it was really only air intake/induction and remap mod but they said we'd need to confirm with their underwriters and they will only assess once the upgrades are done. im not buying anything until i know i have an insurance policy waiting in the wings, so absolutely no help there BD.

ive went online last night to about a dozen different insures, and i dont think i had success anywhere beyond the point i advised my car was modified. i am 36, so dont think its cos i am considered high risk etc. they all link you off to a page that supposedly offers modified car insurance, but i mostly hit dead ends here too.

Sooo...I'm after the same info as OP, who does everyone have their modified RS's insured with and if poss could you give us an approx yearly figure what we might expect please.

cheers guys

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is no help whatsoever from BD. I checked the internet for hours, read through their policy and all it says is yes they will insure a modded car but not what mods they will insure.
i was hopeful somebody on here had insured a modded car with them to give me a definite answer. I will carry on searching. 👍

·
Registered
13 Posts
i did get the impression from the online chat that they will cover some modifications. they prob want to judge each case on its own merit, hence the stance on needing mods to be done before any estimate, also cuts down on the time wasted provided quotes most people dont follow through with....id imagine anyway...

what i also noticed yesterday was a huge variance between my budget...Budget Direct policy at 550 and some other premium insurers. top quote that came back i think was aami/or youi... it was over $1200!!! i mean theres no way your pay that surely for a "premium" claim service on the off chance its ever actually needed over the budget service....

i am half resigned to the fact its likely to cost hundred of bucks more PER YEAR for the life of my ownership to get these mods.... not sure its worth it for those 30 extra horses.... i'd like to be wrong though - if anyone can shed any light on this, would be appreciated...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unfortunately if you get the modifications done you are not insured, and they may not insure you. So you are going to loose money from relinquishing your insurance with them and then finding another insurer for presumably a big increase.
it is a lot of faffing about. Surely they have a list of things they insure and don’t insure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks JamoRS.
I just did a quick quote with them and they have given an excellent quote with the mods I want and some extra ones. I have only just paid my insurance a couple of months ago with budget, so if I can’t insure with them, if I get the mods done, I will see how much I will get refunded. Hopefully it would be pro-rata.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am now wondering what the problem is. Are you after insurance that covers your aftermarket parts? Or are we talking about insurance that might deny a claim for having aftermarket parts? As long as the car is not illegally modified you have no problem with a claim. If you want insurance for a few parts that you have fitted I don't see why the bother for paying a massively higher premium if that ends up being the case

1 - 20 of 28 Posts