Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm expecting mid-September delivery and am looking at some paint protection (shadow black) There are so many options out there I am lost. This will be the first car I'm using any sort of paint protection on and there are a bunch different products to choose from.

I found a local detailer who started using Modesta instead of cquartz. The installer says they have tested it for over a year and feels it gives better and longer term protection. Does anyone have any experience with Modesta coating? I tried searching the forums and could only find opti coat users. I'm reading that Modesta is relatively new to the market so they aren't really sure how it holds up long term. I was wondering if anyone from the forum plans on using Modesta?

Any feedback on any paint protection products is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hello all!

I'm expecting mid-September delivery and am looking at some paint protection (shadow black) There are so many options out there I am lost. This will be the first car I'm using any sort of paint protection on and there are a bunch different products to choose from.

I found a local detailer who started using Modesta instead of cquartz. The installer says they have tested it for over a year and feels it gives better and longer term protection. Does anyone have any experience with Modesta coating? I tried searching the forums and could only find opti coat users. I'm reading that Modesta is relatively new to the market so they aren't really sure how it holds up long term. I was wondering if anyone from the forum plans on using Modesta?

Thanks!
I haven't heard of it, but most of them perform well as long as you do your part with washing and abiding by the care recommendations.

I had a recommendation to try Nanohide | Tough Technology - Surface Protection and it seems legit. I plan to get it done next weekend once my PPF is installed this next week.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've heard good things about it on other forums. For anything and everything to do with detailing, check out the Autopia.org forums. Just be prepared to be inundated with acronyms :).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hello all!

Thanks!
Modesta is a good product, but it's a PITA to install and only last about two years.

I haven't heard of it, but most of them perform well as long as you do your part with washing and abiding by the care recommendations.

I had a recommendation to try Nanohide | Tough Technology - Surface Protection and it seems legit. I plan to get it done next weekend once my PPF is installed this next week.
Nanohide is also a PITA to install and the properties aren't that appealing...it's as glossy as others and doesn't bead water very well. Claims it has the ability to remove minor swirls and scratches via heat, which other items can do, but over time almost all of them lose the ability to do so.

·
Registered
336 Posts
currently trying to decide between modesta or ceramic pro.

Ceramic pro is working out cheaper and both detailers are highly rated...
Both include the same; full exterior, glass, interior and wheels + calipers protected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I greatly appreciate having a free flow of information and a true discourse. With that being said I would like to convey some of my thoughts and experiences.
When talking about coatings I would never say " that one is completely garbage." They all have a purpose in the market. Customers desires and requirements are extremely varied and diverse. Hence the coating market is also varied and diverse. Personally, I have had the most success by interviewing the customer first and recommending what was best for that customers lifestyle, car usage, storage techniques, etc.
Customer 1: sports car low mileage usage a year and only in good weather temperature controlled garage all year. - In this scenario a simple less expensive 2 year coating may last 5 years due to minimal usage.
Customer 2 : weekend races sebring type races track use only - In this scenario customer will, at minimum, need clear film protection on at least leading edges and coating on other areas to protect.

As a consumer you one major factor of the coating business is the installer/detailer. Paint correction skills are extremely important in any coating process. Experience with multiple coating systems usually gives installers a knowledge not always conveyed in marketing materials.

As you do your research you will see all coatings have different characteristics. SOme of the characteristics or qualities should align with your needs.

I feel the coating market has over committed certain results, which some detailers convey to their customers. Such as "Self-Cleaning" which leads customers to believe their car will never get dirty. I know this is extreme but that is what marketing does. Also the longevity claims of 5yr, 7yr, and lifetime claims simply means how long the coating will adhere to the surface and provide protection. It does not mean that the coating is an impenetrable barrier that will never get a blemish. Coatings are simply a protection from elements and enhance the paint system DOI. Wax and sealants have the same purpose. In my opinion coatings are more durable and resistant than wax is. However, I must reiterate that all coatings will eventually get blemishes at some point in the coatings life. How long before that happens is dependent on your environment and usage.

Allow me address some of the questions here directly.

Modesta is a good product, but it's a PITA to install and only last about two years.

Quote Originally Posted by MN_RS View Post

Nanohide is also a PITA to install and the properties aren't that appealing...it's as glossy as others and doesn't bead water very well. Claims it has the ability to remove minor swirls and scratches via heat, which other items can do, but over time almost all of them lose the ability to do so.
PITA- this expression is a bit subjective. What one person finds hard, others may not find so bad if the benefit is there.
I do understand what you mean though. Some coatings have certain drawbacks in the application or curing process. Some people I find have overcome those drawbacks with developing a system around whatever coating they install. Find the inefficiencies and change application process, etc.

Nanohide is simply a brand. We have three automotive coatings with different characteristics and performance standards. One of those coatings is EASY to put on. I was a detailer that entered into the coating market. I understand that when developing a coating the application process is key. Sometimes the longer lasting more durable coatings are bit more intensive to install. Our Nh-A5 is a 5 yr coating that is a diy product. You can not mess it up. Science and technology are rapidly progressing and are allowing us to make many advancements more rapidly. Such as self healing coatings. We have our Nh-A7 coating. Carpro is also releasing , or has released, their self healing coating called Immortal. I have heard good things about it. As science improves there will be more and more on the market until self healing is common. We have some characteristics that are appealing to customers and installers alike. Some don't like the application process. Remember, we are constantly testing and improving. What was true just 6 months ago may not apply. I am constantly looking for more efficiency in not just application process but also the science. We take feedback from installers and our own personal experience in the field to constantly improve.

My purpose is to convey my knowledge and experience. In my opinion all coatings are more durable than any wax on market. Some people still love to wax. I say continue to research, ask questions, and decide what fits your needs. I trust you will be happy if you are clear with what your expectations are.

Claims it has the ability to remove minor swirls and scratches via heat, which other items can do, but over time almost all of them lose the ability to do so
'Is it better to have loved and lost or never to have loved at all?" Is it better for ones needs to have a coating that regenerates for a year, two, three, five? Than act as a traditional coating after that for a few years? Maybe yes maybe no. Depends on customer needs, budget, accessibility to an installer, etc.

As I said earlier my purpose is just for a discourse of information and experiences.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm having paint protection film applied to the front clip of my NB RS and the bottom of the rear quarter panel. Once that's done, the shop doing the work is going to apply the Modesta BC-05 treatment to the entire car and BC-06 to the wheels, brake calipers and exhaust tips.

Will post pics once it's complete the end of this week.

·
Registered
943 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Video the shop just put together showing the finished results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
bludrgn
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing