Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the car a couple weeks ago and the headgasket was done in 2018. I've read the other threads and haven't seen this exact problem. Started with a CEL, scanned and found two codes, p0300 and p0302. Random misfires and misfire cylinder 2. CEL went away after a few days but brought it to the dealer anyway. They did retrieve the codes and tried gapping the NGK plugs that were in. No joy, so they put Ford plugs in and said it had more power but still getting misfires randomly. They pressure tested the coolant system over night twice with no loss of pressure BUT borescoped the following day both times and found "moisture" in cylinder 3. They said they're not sure if it's fuel or coolant and are waiting on Ford to see which way they want them to go.
Does this makes sense to anyone? All I can think of is a leaking injector but why would it be misfires all over?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Cam timing is off, bad HG swap, or cracked head. Could be a bad injector from a careless tech too, how are your fuel trims? Your issue is probably the reason the original owner sold it. Sorry man.

Did you do an internet search on the VIN and/or repair history from a dealer?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking timing, as apparently there was a rash of incidents where techs doing the hg repair were setting timing wrong. I suppose it could be that AND a faulty injector. I would think the pressure test would rule out another failed hg.
I did check car fax and had my ford dealer check the history for the hg but now I'm wishing I'd gotten a complete history. I didn't buy it from my usual dealer. Anyway, it's only got 7k mi and I've got factory warranty until 2021.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, long story short, they're saying previous owner lied about not having a tune. Ford says they've seen in other vehicles where one has attempted to flash back to stock and it doesn't completely take. They flashed the ecu to stock where it was supposed to be and misfires disappeared. So far.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Did you get a cel or just reading that the car had misfires? Sounds like your dealer gets another crack at the issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you get a cel or just reading that the car had misfires? Sounds like your dealer gets another crack at the issue.
I don't know but I think it's just known because they are monitoring while driving, t never left the dealer. After telling me the misfires were gone they wanted to keep it overnight to check on cold start up before giving it back. It's getting somewhere around 14 misfires in say a 15-20 min drive.
All the stories and info on the forums is confusing and making me a bit paranoid. Some say a certain amount of misfires is normal, which I have never heard of before and doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I don't know but I think it's just known because they are monitoring while driving, t never left the dealer. After telling me the misfires were gone they wanted to keep it overnight to check on cold start up before giving it back. It's getting somewhere around 14 misfires in say a 15-20 min drive.
All the stories and info on the forums is confusing and making me a bit paranoid. Some say a certain amount of misfires is normal, which I have never heard of before and doesn't sound right to me.
That's about right

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I read that too. I think I've decided to give them one, maybe two days and then pick it up. It's not throwing a CEL so I'll just worry about it if it does it again. I do have warranty and extended warranty so I'll just enjoy the car. Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it's going under the knife. They will be pulling the head and checking the other dealers hg job and conditions. I will update.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: They pulled the valve cover since it was noted in the records that the dealer who performed the hg recall adjusted some of the valves. Replaced 5 tappets out of spec. No misfires as of yet and the car seems to be running GREAT!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Update: They pulled the valve cover since it was noted in the records that the dealer who performed the hg recall adjusted some of the valves. Replaced 5 tappets out of spec. No misfires as of yet and the car seems to be running GREAT!!!
Any update? I’m in a similar situation in having a low mileage RS that I bought with 1 previous owner who bought the car with the HG recall already performed. Any update on how it’s running? Mine is having the cylinder head replaced. I hope mine runs well after.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Car runs great, no issues since. Like so many other stories the key is having a good tech work on it. Did they find an issue with your head or are they just out of ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Car runs great, no issues since. Like so many other stories the key is having a good tech work on it. Did they find an issue with your head or are they just out of ideas?
Great news man. I’m happy for ya. Well they found coolant in the cylinders. So that’s why theyre doing the cylinder head replacement. I’m just hoping the tech working on it is competent. According to the service manager, they were doing a ton of these back when the FSA first came out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts