Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the minimum operating temperature of the PSS and PS4 tires is? I would definitely not be doing anything crazy but here in SF Bay Area we have some mornings during the winter that the temperature can drop to low 30s (0 Celsius) and rise to mid to high 40s (12 or so Celsius) during the day. I'm interested in just getting to work during these days (4 miles away), not performance driving. I tried to contact Michelin to ask about the material data sheet and they refused to give me details about what the temperature range was for either tire. Does anyone have that data and can disclose it?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Probably not what you're looking for, but I imagine that data is proprietary because the you can figure out what's in the rubber compound. Here's a reference:

I'm in Monterey and change to winters when the thermometer starts dipping into the low 50s This usually means winters from October-March/April.

I've seen too many cars wrecked wearing summer shoes and there is still snow on the ground. If you're cheap out and don't get a winter set you'll ruin your summer tires or wreck your car. Or, consider going with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 and not worry about it:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Drove in DFW area for three winters in a row with sub-frozen temps on several mornings. Not a problem with the usual caveats of "not going crazy" unless you know what you're doing :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I have driven mine here the last two winters and have had no issues but the last two winters have been unusually warm as well with not even remotely approaching freezing temperatures around where I drive. Since the time is approaching to get new tires (maybe next summer) I'm trying to figure out the way to go. Unfortunately I have zero space to keep a second set (live in a condo with limited storage area) so one will need to do for now.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Typically, "summer" tires are rated to be good until "near freezing" temperatures, which is ~32 F. That said, the safety factor does go all to sh1t once it does hit that temp. Sure, the tire compound will get harder than spec and it won't grip all that well compared to hot, but at the OP's suggested 4 mi commute and driving within reason, they should be fine. This, of course, assumes the environment, which is cold but dry.

On the other hand, if there is snow and ice, that's a completely different story. The thread pattern is not designed to grab onto that type of surface, but again, it's not the end of the world and you won't automatically fly off a cliff.

I'm in Monterey and change to winters when the thermometer starts dipping into the low 50s This usually means winters from October-March/April.
Is this Monterey, CA? I know it gets cold out there, but not to the point where you get snow, slush or ice. Switching to winter tires, even the Continental all seasons you mentioned, might be a bit of over kill, maybe even a little more dangerous than summers. All-seasons are a big "compromise", they are "ok" in a larger temperature range in the expense of being not that great in any particular one (ie a CA "winter" of 30-60 F). On the contrary, "summer" tires are rated to work well in dry and wet at these temperatures.

When I bought my car new from NV in Jan, I had to drive across the Sierras into CA. There was snow on the ground, temps were in the low 30's, and the brand new PSSs were not ideal, but I never lost control.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I live in Los Angeles so snow is non-existent and there's no reason for me to have winter tires ever. That being said... I took a trip up to the mountains one day this last season when it was snowing and the PSS's did not like it at all. It was maybe 29 degrees outside with snow on the ground and it was definitely a struggle. From a stop I couldn't climb a hill unless I was in 3rd gear. Completely lost grip and slid backwards about 10 ft into a snow bank. So I'd say keep them above freezing temperatures.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It was maybe 29 degrees outside with snow on the ground and it was definitely a struggle. From a stop I couldn't climb a hill unless I was in 3rd gear. Completely lost grip and slid backwards about 10 ft into a snow bank. So I'd say keep them above freezing temperatures.
Exactly, "snow on the ground" is the key factor here. The PSS's wide thread blocks are not designed to grab and dig into snow, but will grip ok on cold dry/wet pavement.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Southeast Texas checking in, run summers year round, including pss and ps4s in the past. Usually doesn't get below freezing here, but there was an occasional oddball day that started off in the teens, and wet. Just don't be an idiot and you'll be fine, the car on summers in freezing weather still stops in a 1/4 of the time and turns faster than my worktruck hauling a loaded trailer in perfect weather.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've lived here for 22 years and have yet to see snow in the valley. It snows maybe 1-2 times a year in the hills around us but I have no intention of ever driving there with summer tires. My commute is mostly level city streets and given the usual traffic speeds rarely exceed 35.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
All good points, I mainly switch to winters because I'm overly conservative (perhaps too much after looking at your responses?) and I swap the wheels because they have to come off anyway for tire rotation.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am extremely conservative and my switch over point is 7*C. Furthermore I see -10*C and colder temps so I make the switch regardless.

I have no source but I recall 7*C being the temp not necessarily for performance issues but cracking issues. Tires under load overnight in cold temps, etc.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I switch out my PSS when it consecutively starts hitting 45, and I was basing that on my ST Eagle's, I have PS4s in the garage when the PSS runs down that I will be switching the same

·
Registered
26 Posts
I rolled with my stock mpss throughout the winter here in Oregon. I had no cold weather checking on tires with car sitting out all winter. I drove a few times when it snowed, not too bad. After I noticed I broke off my brake cooling deflectors up front I parked it and drove my excursion...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I drove to Tahoe a couple of times for snowboarding while my car was rocking Bridgestone RE-11.

I think you're gonna be fine. You're running the standard tire on this car and the car is sold in much colder climates than ours with that same tire. If it gets cold one day and you're concerned, don't push the tires to the limit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts