Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 LE Race Red
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the Milltek Active Valve Controller Model #SSXFD271? It’s expensive, like $750 expensive, but it apparently lets you define your own parameters to have the valve open and close based on Speed, Throttle Position, RPM etc. Also can function like stock or fully open / closed. I’ve decided to go with the Milltek non-resonated catback, and this looks like a nice addition, but then there’s the price lol.

Here’s a link to it below on Vivid’s website.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You might want to have a look at J9 Performance option.
It's not an active valve like this, but it does come with a remote, so you can open / close it whenever you want.
It's way less than the price of the Miltek option also.

·
Registered
2018 LE Race Red
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve looked at the J9 and the AWE remote as well. I really like the idea of having it open and close at certain speeds / RPMs, but I don’t like the way Ford does it for the RS. I haven’t been able to find any other reasonably priced systems that offer this level of control beyond just open/closed. I thought about building some kind of PWM control circuit for the valve like I’ve seen on some of the Audi forums that use the same valve, but I feel like by the time I go through that trouble I should just spend the money.

My options as I see it (I think you replied to my other thread about this) are Armytrix (not in love with the sound), X-force (too loud when open), and FI (way too expensive). The Milltek with this controller comes in with the sound I like, volume I like, control I want, and in between the price of FI and the others.

Now re-reading this I’m clearly trying to talk myself into spending the money lol.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Spend the money just not the milltek one. I ran into the issue where mine stopped working after a year of ownership and I ended up just running the exhaust valve the factory way.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Spend the money just not the milltek one. I ran into the issue where mine stopped working after a year of ownership and I ended up just running the exhaust valve the factory way.
Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly in light of the cost of the purchase... Are you saying that you purchased the Milltek Active Exhaust Valve Controller, and it failed within a year?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had the miltek exhaust and I loved it sounded great to me. I didn't have their active valve control. I did it the ghetto way. Forced open and stock when i wanted it to. Just had the sim valve clicked in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly in light of the cost of the purchase... Are you saying that you purchased the Milltek Active Exhaust Valve Controller, and it failed within a year?
Yes approximately one year later I was getting the fault with no drive mode and all when the milltek controller was plugged in. I suspect it had a short somewhere.

I elected to just say forget it and bought another L pipe and delete the exhaust valve all together.

·
Registered
2018 LE Race Red
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes approximately one year later I was getting the fault with no drive mode and all when the milltek controller was plugged in. I suspect it had a short somewhere.

I elected to just say forget it and bought another L pipe and delete the exhaust valve all together.
Did you try calling Milltek? I’m curious if they wouldn’t honor the warranty

·
Registered
2018 LE Race Red
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s what I like about it. I wish there was just a way to adjust the factory parameters through a tune. If I could do that, no need to do anything other than open or closed.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I personally run a Milltek valved/non-res catback and Milltek catless downpipe. I couldn’t stand the oem valve control, since it doesn’t open/close depending on drive modes. Its many more parameters that determine if it should be open/closed. So I got the J9 performance controller, plug&play and took 10min to install. I wouldn’t waste money on anything more fancy, since its not MUCH of a difference when open/closes IMHO.
Its a little louder when the valve is open, but not worth $750.
Your choice obviously, but I’d spend that $750 on something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
I saw this option a year ago, seems a bit excessive and not necessary for $750. I went with the AWE valve control w/ my Milltek Non-Resonated setup. The exhaust is perfect in tone / volume, not too loud and not too quiet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts