Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
michelin.jpg

by Ionut Ungureanu, 3rd November 2015

What better way to make sure your top models function to their ultimate performance capacities than providing the best body parts available on the market? With this new partnership, Ford is making sure its performance line-up gets what it deserves: custom-engineered tires.

Ford has announced today that it has sealed a deal with the producer of some of the world’s highest-performing sports and off-road tires, Michelin. I don’t know about you, but I immediately think of motorsport when this name is mentioned, and I bet that’s exactly where the American carmaker is placing its money too.

Michelin will provide tire fitments for the new Ford Performance vehicle lineup which includes Ford GT, Shelby GT350 and Shelby GT350R Mustang, Fiesta ST, Focus ST and RS. Here’s something you may not have expected: the F-150 Raptor is getting the treat too, how cool is that?

Perhaps it may not sound like a big deal for some, but to us it’s more like an invitation to jump straight to the performance line when buying a new car. But wait, there’s more. According to Ford, the two companies’ engineers will continue to collaborate from vehicle inception to develop customized tires that meet a wide range of performance targets, including lateral grip; noise, vibration and harshness; and durability.

“We have a long relationship with Michelin, and could not ask for a better teammate to help extract maximum capability from our vehicles,” said Dave Pericak, director, Ford Performance. “That confidence extends from our upcoming racing effort at Le Mans in 2016 with the all-new Ford GT, to the Ford Performance vehicle lineup, including Shelby GT350 and F-150 Raptor.”

Now, all that we can hope for is that people who will buy the newly enhanced Ford cars will not automatically consider themselves professional drivers too. After all, racing is not just about burning rubber on the track and having the occasional weekend joyrides, mind you.

Michelin Will Provide Custom-Engineered Tires for Ford Performance Models - autoevolution

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wanna know what makes them "custom" is it just the fitment? Hopefully they will put out something the speaks to what makes them special.

·
Super Moderator
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Lastdoughnut

I went over to both the Michelin and Ford sites and neither have any more information on this latest mention.

Guess we'll have to wait for more info to trickle out.

·
Super Moderator
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm hoping for custom sizes for the various Ford platforms.

Currently, I'm not too impressed by the Bridgestones that were on my daughter's FiST upon delivery.

I've been looking into the Michelin Pilots for her car.

I currently have a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports mounted on a set of Titanium rims. (Love Them!)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Motorcycle manufacturers do this all the time. There is an OEM version of a common tire model that is optimized, either through rubber compound, tread pattern, or both, for that particular model. Generally speaking, they are more expensive and after a few years the tire model is obsolete due to new tire technology.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm hoping for custom sizes for the various Ford platforms.

Currently, I'm not too impressed by the Bridgestones that were on my daughter's FiST upon delivery.

I've been looking into the Michelin Pilots for her car.

I currently have a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports mounted on a set of Titanium rims. (Love Them!)
Really? We've been really happy with the BS's on our FiST. We got 37000 hard miles out of one of the pair (should have rotated more often) and the other pair probably has another 8-10k on them.

·
Super Moderator
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really? We've been really happy with the BS's on our FiST. We got 37000 hard miles out of one of the pair (should have rotated more often) and the other pair probably has another 8-10k on them.
I need A/S tires since my daughter is currently in the mountains of NC at school. But then again the Pilot Sports aren't much better. For the time being I went with the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 to make sure she can make it out of Boone with steelie wheels. I have the BS's here at the garage at the house with less than 3k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
I need A/S tires since my daughter is currently in the mountains of NC at school. But then again the Pilot Sports aren't much better. For the time being I went with the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 to make sure she can make it out of Boone with steelie wheels. I have the BS's here at the garage at the house with less than 3k miles.

My daughter is in West side of NC at school also.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

FYI, the Pilot A/S3 is an excellent tire.

But more on point, this just means it'll be more expensive than the standard PSS with no proof that it's better. (If they even have a special version for the FoRS)

·
5,582 Posts
Ford Focus RS Offers A Full Suite Of Michelin Performance Tire Options

GREENVILLE, S.C., Aug. 23, 2016 /PRNewswire/ --

The new Ford Focus RS has a tire story that is unique even for Michelin. The sporty RS comes standard on Michelin® Pilot® Super Sport tires, and also offers two more exciting performance options: Michelin® Pilot® Sport Cup 2 — the most affordable sports car on the market today with this option available — and a check-the-box winter tire option with the Michelin® Pilot Alpin 4 that extends the owner's driving experience to the colder months.

The Focus RS, part of the Ford Performance lineup, is the latest example of Ford and Michelin engineers collaborating to create custom-tailored tire constructions and compounds that maximize vehicle performance.

The 2016 sports hatchback will be fitted with 19-inch (235/35R19) Michelin® Pilot Super Sport tires. The team tested more than 500 prototypes before selecting the best tire formula to deliver ultimate wet and dry grip.

The Michelin® Pilot® Sport Cup 2 tire is another available option for consumers seeking increased performance at the track. The street-legal Pilot® Sport Cup 2 features bi-compound technology and an endurance racing compound. Often reserved for supercars and high-end sports cars, the Focus RS is the most affordable vehicle ever to have a Sport Cup 2 option and only the second car with a "square" fitment — same tire size fitted on front and rear.

The co-development project began in 2013 and took place at several famous tracks: Charade (France), Michelin's Ladoux test center (France), Ford's Lommel Test Center (Belgium), Idiada (Spain) and Nurburgring (Germany).

The MICHELIN® Pilot® Alpin 4 also has been approved as a replacement winter tire option for owners in colder climates. For the first time, owners can order winter tires when they custom-build their Focus RS. The ultra-high-performance winter tires offer exceptional control in snow and ice and come with a 30,000-mile warranty.

Michelin tires are featured on every current Ford Performance vehicle: the Ford GT, Ford Mustang Shelby GT350, Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R, Focus ST, Fiesta ST and F-150 Raptor. Additionally, Michelin has been chosen as the technical tire partner for the Ford GT Race Team, enabling a seamless transfer of tire technology from the track to the street.
Ford Focus RS Offers A Full Suite Of Michelin Performance Tire Options

1 - 12 of 12 Posts