·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I lold.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Cool, but they are pricey. I did opt for the forged, and Cup 2's but it's hard to say if I would stay with Michelin's. So is it a good deal to get the forged wheels and Cup 2's, since the tires alone would cost $2K+ right? I will probably stick to something more affordable next time around, or not.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I didn't get the forged wheels so that as soon as the stock tires wear out I can pick up a set of lightweight 18''s with Toyo Proxes R888. Road noise be damned, if people don't like the drone I'll just drop a gear and they can listen to the engine instead.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've been very happy with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my Mustang, especially over the factory Pirellis, and was glad to see Ford is running the PSS as the standard tires on the RS and GT350. They were the most expensive, but were also rated the highest in every category on Tire Rack and I also remember everything on a car comes down to just 4 little tire patches, making tires the most important part on the car IMO, so I'm happy to spend the extra money on it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been very happy with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my Mustang, especially over the factory Pirellis, and was glad to see Ford is running the PSS as the standard tires on the RS and GT350. They were the most expensive, but were also rated the highest in every category on Tire Rack and I also remember everything on a car comes down to just 4 little tire patches, making tires the most important part on the car IMO, so I'm happy to spend the extra money on it.
PSS is by far the best all around tire you can run, impressive grip and wont try to kill you at the slightest sign of moisture. I hate when manufacturers cheap out on tires, BMW did this with my M235 and shipped it with pirelles, changed them at 800 miles to PSSs, worth every penny. I have used just about every brand and model out there and they are the best for a reason. Also, before everyone sayas something about their favorite track tire, yes, I know there are better dedicated track tires, but were talking about the best tire you can get for a daily.

·
Registered
717 Posts
TireRack review for the Super Sport: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=174
I am running the Bridgestone S-04 right now, and rain/wet grip is phenomenal on those. Based on this review, the SS should make for a good DD tire, although maybe a bit stiff at times. That said looking at the prices of [email protected] special/217 regular vs Super [email protected], I doubt I'd be going back to Michelins when I can get equivalent performance and tread life for 3/4 of the price.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Everyone who spec'd the PSC2's over the PSS's I hope you live in an arid dry region or have a set of legit street tires to swap on. You may be getting a bargain with $500 PSC2's but say goodbye to all the grip of semi-slick "streetable" track tires as soon as the rain begins to fall!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Also likely all the testing will be done on the forged wheels and PSC2's to help showcase performance numbers for marketing. I am sure a lot of manufactures get knocked on the numbers for not having quality tires for journalist tests.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Everyone who spec'd the PSC2's over the PSS's I hope you live in an arid dry region or have a set of legit street tires to swap on. You may be getting a bargain with $500 PSC2's but say goodbye to all the grip of semi-slick "streetable" track tires as soon as the rain begins to fall!
This is where I'm hung up. I'd originally opted for the forgesd wheels and cup 2's but then started thinking about how versatile that set up would be...especially given that I'll have the cup 2's on my other car (gt350r). I live in the SF bay area where it doesn't rain 'much'...
I'm currently running super sports on my boss and they're not only great in the dry (better than the corsa's I was running), they're very forgiving in the wet. I haven't run cup 2's in the wet, but suspect that 'forgiving' won't be a good descriptor.

Then I went and looked at prices...Ford's selling you Cup 2's for $595 MORE than the PSS's. People on this thread who suggest that you're getting a bargain by getting cup 2's for $500 / $595 / whatever bucks aren't doing the math right...that's in ADDITION to what you're paying for PSS's. But tirerack sells PSS's for $1,064 a set and cup 2's for $1,356 a set...less than $300 difference.

And if the upgraded wheels (at $1,395) are only 2.2lbs lighter per wheel than the base wheel, I'm thinking that base wheels and PSS's as a first set of wheels would be a good start...pocket the $1,990 and be well on your way to a second set of lighter wheels and tires of your choice.

If I loved the look of the forged wheel, I might see it differently...but I don't think it looks much better than the base wheel. So I'm thinking I'll drop the wheel / tire package. Or, at least, drop the cup 2s.

(BTW, I'm having a similar dilemna with the RS2 package...but that's for a different thread).

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
In my area even the PSS cannot be used in winter due to temps. So I ordered the winter wheel/tire package. I don't need snow tires, so I may sell or just use them and replace them with All-season tires. Save the PSC2s I ordered for summer/track.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I personally love the look of the forged wheels so I went with those and the PSS's. The money I saved by not opting for the RS2 package or moon roof will possibly go towards the winter wheel/tire package when I take delivery of the RS. But I'll do some cost comparisons then and decide. Also budgeting for the possible warrantied Ford performance tune!

·
Super Moderator
15,478 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
They also need to be stored in a climate controlled environment over winter. They can crack if it gets below freezing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Then I went and looked at prices...Ford's selling you Cup 2's for $595 MORE than the PSS's. People on this thread who suggest that you're getting a bargain by getting cup 2's for $500 / $595 / whatever bucks aren't doing the math right...that's in ADDITION to what you're paying for PSS's. But tirerack sells PSS's for $1,064 a set and cup 2's for $1,356 a set...less than $300 difference.

And if the upgraded wheels (at $1,395) are only 2.2lbs lighter per wheel than the base wheel, I'm thinking that base wheels and PSS's as a first set of wheels would be a good start...pocket the $1,990 and be well on your way to a second set of lighter wheels and tires of your choice.

If I loved the look of the forged wheel, I might see it differently...but I don't think it looks much better than the base wheel. So I'm thinking I'll drop the wheel / tire package. Or, at least, drop the cup 2s.
That is exactly why I went with the stock wheels and PSS tires in my order. I'll be DDing my RS and so need tires that can handle rain too, plus the money I'm saving from the forged wheels and PS2's can net me a nice set of winter wheels and tires, which I'll need as well. I considered the factory winter pkg, but I think I can find a better deal on my own.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I own a 2013 Golf R, and the first thing I did was switch out the OEM Pirelli all seasons (and VW's absolutely horrendous looking wheels) for a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The changeover in performance of the car was remarkable. Grip, on-center steering, and overall feedback from the PSS's was a night and day improvement over the Pirelli's. The only downside was increased tire noise (minor) and a harsher ride (very minor concern). I'm a huge advocate of the Super Sports. I plan on getting an RS, and I'll forgo the Cup 2's and stay with the Super Sports; I plan on getting the forged wheels. Honestly, if you plan on daily driving your RS (and I do), I think you really have to think twice about the Cup 2 option. I was looking at the Cup 2's on a Corvette Z06, and there's no way I'd want to be in the rain with those tires. I imagine the tread pattern and tread depth on the Cup 2's that come with the RS pretty much mirror those on the Z06. The Cup 2's are a great track day option, but for general street driving the Super Sports are a much better option in my view.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
damn that's cute and all, but if I don't see a video of this car driven in anger soon I'm gonna lose it.

michelins are good, but not the best and certainly a bit on the pricey side. I will most likely switch to re-11's
I have a set of those on my DD, and they're freakin' brilliant. Epic tire. I'd also like to try the new Star Spec. Had a set of the 1st Gen Star Spec's on an STi, and they were great as well. Some real good options out there now that aren't nearly ex pricey as the Michelin's. When I worked for Goodyear, I hated Michelin's, but I'm excited to try them out and see how they are.

·
Registered
305 Posts
damn that's cute and all, but if I don't see a video of this car driven in anger soon I'm gonna lose it.

michelins are good, but not the best and certainly a bit on the pricey side. I will most likely switch to re-11's
I'm a huge fan of the re-11's. I run them on the ST now. Fantastic performance/value, and they wear extremely well.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the re-11's. I run them on the ST now. Fantastic performance/value, and they wear extremely well.
Guys in the GS class (autocross) call them cheater tires hehe. I decided to get the PSS since they have a higher treadwear rating. I think the PSS are 300 vs the RE11's just meeting the minimum for GS at 200.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I ran re71r's all summer on the ST. things were nuts. But I'm not spending $800 on tires every spring. I went with pss's. Looking forward to trying them

1 - 20 of 21 Posts