Ford Focus RS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
The 2.3 block is sound.

Like any open deck design all require a deck brace/support when you start increasing the power and the magic number for a deck brace is or has found to be 400bhp. Or be prepared for issues with the standard liners.

For example the Volvo I5R engine in 2.3/2.4/2.5 guise is good for over a 1000bhp and this is a legendary engine in Europe but again requires liners supports/from 400bhp.

Open deck design has far superior cooling abilities, even with a deck brace, which again you need once you start to up the power.

If these tuning shops that are working on the Mustangs and reporting liner issues it’s down to that shop NOT the engine, as that shop should know the engine needs internal support from 400bhp.

AVOID those shops, as they clearly don’t understand open deck design.

More power, means more stresses, more stresses mean possible bore movement in an open deck block and for $300 it is a cheap strong fix and as written above the 800+ motor was built by Livernoise (however it’s spelt). Mountune have built 700bhp motors, Devil Developments have built and run an 850bhp motor all on the 2.3

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
All these HP figures bandied about mean jack to me if there is no context.So an engine can make an 800 HP pull on they dyno, big deal, what separates the true engine developers from the pretenders is how much power you can make "reliably". Its the ability for an engine to live at peak torque reliably thats impressive not some drag strip/dyno world stuff.
What impresses me is power and ruggedness not some big number from the dyno and ability at the drag strip in short bursts.
The 5 litre V8 supercar engines used in racing here make around 670 HP and has a life of around 5000 racing klms before a freshen up which means new pistons,rings,bearings,valves and springs and the usual valve seat work and its ready to go again for another 5000 circuit racing klms at 7400 rpm.Some of the blocks are approaching 20 years old. Now there's and engine.

Ciao

·
Registered
311 Posts
The Devil Developments Demo is on 12k miles since the 850bhp build using Syvecs and multiple maps and is also a daily driver the only down side is a noisey clutch. I understand the Livernois car is also a DD and the Mountune quarter mile car, power undisclosed on that one I dont know if just a track queen or a DD aswell

I'm also running 600 ish bhp on my Ecoboost 2.3 daily driver and no issues

Who are the true engine Developers ? Over the pretenders................... :sleep::sleep:

5 litre V8's and only 670 134bhp per litre at that lowly power levels wheres the engine stress coming from...................not from POOOOOWERRRRRRRRRRRR:cry::cry:

Ford (NOT a tuner) are getting 180bhp from their euro 3pot 1000cc Ecoboost Fiesta engine no wonder back in the day the Cosworth 2 litre engines blew those 5 litre V8 iron dinosaurs into another extinction scenario. ;)

Then the V8 driver's all complained to the marshall's that its "not fair" to put a YB 2 litre up against the 5 litre "V8'" and had them banned for basically kicking their V8 southern hemisphere butts. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My point being: The YB is not a good engine, its fragile. But its still here 30 years later as its a brilliant race motor so time is no measure of a good engine. As for a 20 year old Ecoboost engine, well only time will tell; as for who's got a crystal ball.

A good engine is one you can trash every day for years and just adjust the tappets, but then that's only 1600cc Ford Crossflow (y) and you southern boys cant make power without adding cc's :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
311 Posts
@mexrs

My mapping has now been finalised and..................

Today is a good day a very good day.

Thank you Mr 9Designs for the good omen of 601bhp smashed it………………………..lol by 9 bhp

The car has been on a 4wd dyno all day with Lee from Devil Developments doing his magic with syvecs on SRD Tunings Dyno and has come back with a finalised map.

Running 587bhp on Shell V-Power. His previous map gave 540bhp

Running 610bhp with Methanol added (M30). No previous.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
@mexrs

My mapping has now been finalised and..................

Today is a good day a very good day.

Thank you Mr 9Designs for the good omen of 601bhp smashed it………………………..lol by 9 bhp

The car has been on a 4wd dyno all day with Lee from Devil Developments doing his magic with syvecs on SRD Tunings Dyno and has come back with a finalised map.

Running 587bhp on Shell V-Power. His previous map gave 540bhp

Running 610bhp with Methanol added (M30). No previous.
That's awesome news man! vpower is 95oct I believe? When you have some dyno charts share them :) I have now aux running and we will be finishing the revisions and move to methanol. Fun times

·
Registered
311 Posts
I was surprised at the figure jump of 33bhp for adding methanol on mine I did think it may of been higher like in the mid 40’s. But 33hp for the sake of a flex fuel sensor pretty good value.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Lol sorry about that my screen is all jacked up.
Anyway my point is that the you can build either a 2.3 or 2.0 to hold big power. Just depends on what route you take. This broad stroke painting the 2.0 as vastly superior is false.
So when I first looked into mine I called MAP. They built all of tune plus engines for a bit and are very good. Basically it boiled down to how much easier it was to get big HP from a 2.0. That being said they still thought that the cooling advantage went to the 2.3.
The issue is it is much more complex to build a 2.3. Doing a proper brace is not simple work. All machining must be done perfect.
So for my engine I did do a 2.3 based on LMS’s success with very high hp mustang 2.3’s.
It got the deck brace and some block strengthing. I’d have to get more details from them. Not trying to say one is correct but I see all these people jump on the band wagon that the 2.0 is far better when not true. Both MAP and LMS recommended the 2.3. I believe part of the reason the 2.0 is pushed so hard by others is it is harder to build and would require some additional machining for the brace.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Mex glad to see you still plugging away. I’ve been out for a while as I’ve been busy and was getting some more work done on the RS. Weather is finally better here so I can get it out soon.
I’m very tempted to finally go cams but like you I’m so deep into the cost I’m pumping the brakes. Next mod will be syvec to get my rdu to stop unlocking on hard launches.
Shimmer you are also correct when it come to cost the 2.0 is the most logical choice for the reasons you stated. I guess I kinda get sick of the whole it’s just better thing. Sorry.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I was surprised at the figure jump of 33bhp for adding methanol on mine I did think it may of been higher like in the mid 40’s. But 33hp for the sake of a flex fuel sensor pretty good value.
What meth mixture are you spraying?
33 is really good. I’m in the process of doing smaller nozzles now on mine to extend the amount of time I can spray while driving hard. Now that I’m true flex fuel I don’t need it for oct. so it’s just for valve washing and a touch of iat cooling.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Cheers Snox801

Never used Methanol before just had Nitrous and the gains are triple the Meth figure. I just think I was expecting results like Nitrous.

I’ve Had Syvecs a whole week and not sure it controls the RDU I’ll have to investigate further.

Cams are good idea keep producing power and gives you upto 1000rpm more for the track I’ve set mine from 7k to 7.5k rpm map dependant. I used the Piper BP285T with duplex springs £1100 for both (Mountune are charging £1800 for V3 the same kit) MexRS has used Essnlinger (however it’s spelt) and is enjoying them.

But to get the most out of the cams it really should have some mild head work just to smooth that flow

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
The Devil Developments Demo is on 12k miles since the 850bhp build using Syvecs and multiple maps and is also a daily driver the only down side is a noisey clutch. I understand the Livernois car is also a DD and the Mountune quarter mile car, power undisclosed on that one I dont know if just a track queen or a DD aswell

I'm also running 600 ish bhp on my Ecoboost 2.3 daily driver and no issues

Who are the true engine Developers ? Over the pretenders................... :sleep::sleep:

5 litre V8's and only 670 134bhp per litre at that lowly power levels wheres the engine stress coming from...................not from POOOOOWERRRRRRRRRRRR:cry::cry:

Ford (NOT a tuner) are getting 180bhp from their euro 3pot 1000cc Ecoboost Fiesta engine no wonder back in the day the Cosworth 2 litre engines blew those 5 litre V8 iron dinosaurs into another extinction scenario. ;)

Then the V8 driver's all complained to the marshall's that its "not fair" to put a YB 2 litre up against the 5 litre "V8'" and had them banned for basically kicking their V8 southern hemisphere butts. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My point being: The YB is not a good engine, its fragile. But its still here 30 years later as its a brilliant race motor so time is no measure of a good engine. As for a 20 year old Ecoboost engine, well only time will tell; as for who's got a crystal ball.

A good engine is one you can trash every day for years and just adjust the tappets, but then that's only 1600cc Ford Crossflow (y) and you southern boys cant make power without adding cc's :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
I think you missed my point. I'd rather have a 135bhp/ltr totally reliable bulletproof rock solid engine that will take a beating for 100,000 klms than a 270/hp/ltr engine thats a hand grenade.A high specific power DD means nothing really with regards to mechanical toughness,engine hours at peak torque is the measure I value.
Some of you pommie mates think its great to create a 1000 dyno hp Mk2 RS. What clowns, 1000 dyno HP through a FWD grocery getter.

Ciao

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes and those teeny tiny 2ltr grocer-getters wiped the bottoms of those 5ltr V8 Supercar’s on track and going to the market lol really LOL 👍

Also you never mentioned 100,000km you said 5000km which is 3106 miles then they need a refresh about £30k from your description for a V8 race engine. It’s rock solid if you’ve deep pockets............. really deep.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Cheers Snox801

Never used Methanol before just had Nitrous and the gains are triple the Meth figure. I just think I was expecting results like Nitrous.

I’ve Had Syvecs a whole week and not sure it controls the RDU I’ll have to investigate further.

Cams are good idea keep producing power and gives you upto 1000rpm more for the track I’ve set mine from 7k to 7.5k rpm map dependant. I used the Piper BP285T with duplex springs £1100 for both (Mountune are charging £1800 for V3 the same kit) MexRS has used Essnlinger (however it’s spelt) and is enjoying them.

But to get the most out of the cams it really should have some mild head work just to smooth that flow
Syvec does control the rdu. I’ve been talking a lot with Ron about his. Basically once our cars hit a certain hp or trq they unlock the rdu to keep it from breaking. Syvec basically lets it stay ingauged but let’s it slip if needed.
I may end up doing cams as I’d love the extra 1000 rpm and I have a very aggressive head porting job already. Lms recommended not to raise the rpm for some reason and I believe it was something with the cams.
Also do you have NO2 on your RS? I got amazing gains with straight meth on mine but I was thinking of adding a nitrous at the lower rpm to get my trq back and up on the turbo faster then cut it off at say 3800.
That will be next winter project for them. I had to stop the mods on it as I started a new house and that is taking all my funds.
Well that and I need a new truck and of course that needs some go fast parts also.

·
Registered
311 Posts
No I’m not running on NOS (just Meth) but I have on previous cars and did also think about adding a squirt low down to spin up the blades quicker.

Just a word of warning but you may already be aware on your aggressive head porting the valve guides are they still in factory OEM condition and not machined.
The reason I ask is if they are machined away in the port throats the valves then get a bit of movement and that movement acts like a lathe and the valve heads fall off. This process takes anything from 1500 miles to 3000 miles for this to happen.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on that. Not sure but I assume they are not touched if that is the case as LMs did the work and they are really big on the long term reliablity of builds.
I am past that for mileage on this build so I think I’m safe. Lol
I wasn’t happy paying the bill for the build but it may be worth it in the long run to lean on the experience they had with the mustang builds. I can say I’m loving the flex fuel with no rail setup they did for me.
I’m pretty glad to see all these different builds and how they are going

·
Registered
311 Posts
I’m really looking forward to Monday and the 250 mile drive home from the tuners. I dropped it off 29th December 2019 and now ready to collect.
I’ve just had the Torque figure threw and it is 513

201 - 220 of 251 Posts