Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to create a new thread since I do not want to mix old with new.

The first build done in Mexico Lasted about 400 miles. It had Darton sleeves on the 2.3L block and all the goodies but I believe they screwed up with the installation of bigger valves and valve guides and valve seats & porting and they weakened the head and eventually valve hit piston and damaged the head and piston. I could have just gotten a used head and changed piston and redo cylinder walls but didnt want something esle to go wrong due to another error they may have made. (Looking back..... i should have done better research on the shop)

This time around, the focus RS will receive a built Engine from Esslinger Engineering in California. It took longer than anticipated but at least I am getting a quality build this time around. I will post pics of engine build and later once i get it here in Mexico later in October i will post more pictures of the swap. I like the fact that they test the built engines on their engine dyno to check for leaks and to break-in the engine.

I am expecting 450 WHP anything over is a plus. Some might say a build engine was not needed, i say it depends how long you want it to last at those levels. I am limted by not having ethanol around. Just got 92 OCT and Methanol Injection.

The Engine:

✅ New 2 L Block with 2.3L Internals.
✅ New 2.3 L Cylinder Head.
✅ CNC ported head
✅ Esslinger Stg 3 cams, uppgraded valve springs, retainers, stronger intake valves and inconel exhaust valves
✅ Billet long rods w/ CA625+ bolts
✅ Race Series Bearings.
✅ HD Esslinger spec JE Pistons
✅ CA625+ Head studs
✅ Pro Seal head gasket
✅ ARP main stud kit
✅ Torqueplate honed “TS” block
✅ Mountune baffled oilpan
✅ Keyed and balance crank shaft
✅ Balance Shaft Delete
✅ Radium Breather plate
✅ All clearences set to Esslinger Engineering specs
✅ New Timing Cover And Timing Components
✅ New Valvecover
✅ New Waterpump
✅ New Oilpump, Pick-up Tube
✅ Brisk Rr14s Sparkplugs
✅ New Oem Crank Sensor

Other Components:

✅ Radium Fuel filter kit
✅ Precision turbo kit
✅ miltek downpip ( cat delete )
✅ Xtreme twin disk - organic
✅ Mishimoto Oil cooler
✅ ETS Intake
✅ ETS Charge Pipes
✅ Quaife LSD
✅ Gear box with aftermarket carbon syncros and steel cage bearings from Jacks Transmission
✅ ETS intercooler
✅ turbosmart BOV,
✅ Aquamist Methanol kit.
✅ Radium aux 4 port fuel rail

Tune:

✅ Will get a custom Tune from Alex @ stratified

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends what you need. Brian can be reached via messenger, he can answer all your question. My long block build with modifief head $11,600

·
Registered
285 Posts
I forget, did you have your first engine built by mountune or just used a lot of their parts? I like what they've done and I was pretty sure I was gonna toss them my engine to upgrade along with the gearbox.

But damn... I can literally walk to Esslinger!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I forget, did you have your first engine built by mountune or just used a lot of their parts? I like what they've done and I was pretty sure I was gonna toss them my engine to upgrade along with the gearbox.

But damn... I can literally walk to Esslinger!
Mountune did NOT build it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
622 Posts
Esslinger is no joke , been doing small ford engines for decades. Baller company .

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First engine was built in México. i had purchased everything to use in my existing block. everything aftermarket, list is in old thread. They must have fu*ked up along the way and Blamed it on defective supertech valve and tendency of them to just break lol.

Anyway, I learned my lesson. Always pick a reputable shop with proven experience not just talk.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Properly done buy a bunch of ford nuts. I’m looking forward to this as they are closer to me than Mountune is. Having used them for previous builds for cam work and cam gears I have nothing but great experience with Esslinger.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Used a 2L block this time. Sleeving the 2.3L rs block doesn't help correct the issue with head stud boss cracking on the 2.3l blocks... decided to stick with what is proven

1 - 20 of 85 Posts