Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering what you guys do when you sell your car. My first car was a POS and the dealer gave me a really good trade in so I went that route. My second car I actually sold to my employer and drove it as a business car until I left sales and bought the ST.

So I'm wondering do you guys usually buy your new car and then sell your old car dealing with the double car payments in between? Or do you have some other method? I've never sold a car privately so I'm not sure how long it will take. I'm thinking maybe once the RS comes in I can put the ST up for sale and then only take delivery after the ST is sold. I'm guessing the dealer would be OK with the RS sitting on the lot for a week or two, but probably not any more than that. Although I'm not even sure if I could be that patient!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I wouldn't be that patient. I just crashed my 2014 fiesta sfe and wrote it off. Got full msrp for it, no trade ins or selling required!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Trading in is the most convenient, but you don't usually get top-dollar. That doesn't mean private sale would get you what you want either. I say for timing's sake trading in would be better -- especially if you don't have another car to use in the meantime if you happen to sell the ST early.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
This will be my first new car so I don't have to worry about payments, and I'm keeping both of my Miatas and the boyfriend is keeping his Abarth, so I won't be selling a car this time, but the effort spent selling my last car makes me never want to do that again. The guy coming to buy it rescheduled several times, spent the whole time telling me that the new factory suspension was too "harsh and riced out" and then told me that he had only brought just over half of my asking price in cash. If I hadn't been so desperate to be rid of it I would have ripped him a new one because he definitely deserved it.

On top of that, all of the people that call, text, and email--who am I kidding; it's all text--to set up a time to look at it and then are never heard from again.....I completely understand why people are willing to take a lot less on a dealer trade in.

To answer your question, my car sold in six days, but I kept getting poorly spelled texts asking if eclips stll avalbul for another two weeks after I took down the ads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Trading in also has tax benefits, if you get a good deal on your trade. In my experience you only pay taxes on the price difference between your trade and the new car value.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I almost always sell privately. There are times I won't (fixing it to the level I sell at isn't worth the money, etc. for example I'll dump 2k probably into my 93 MR2 before I sell it).

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trading in also has tax benefits, if you get a good deal on your trade. In my experience you only pay taxes on the price difference between your trade and the new car value.
Unfortunately, Michigan sucks in this regard. The most we can write off is $3,000 off the sale price, meaning $180 in tax.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I usually trade in just to save the hassle and get a break on tax. However I've gotten nothing but low balls on my GTI from dealers so I'll probably sell it privately after the RS gets here.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I am waiting for my miata's turbo to be rebuilt, then I am going to TRY to sell my mercedes privately. If it doesn't sell before the RS comes in, I'll just sell it.

...and I'm keeping both of my Miatas...
Do you hate it when people say your car is Green instead of Blue? I find most montego owners do, and it is fun to poke fun at them for it =P

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Don't forget you can deduct the sales tax come tax return time on a new car purchase.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I've been in a situation where I bought my new car while still making payments on my old car. Fortunately I wasn't in that situation very long and ended up selling the old car before having to make my next payment. It wouldn't have been ideal but it could have been done. It all depends on what you can manage. It wasn't a very good decision at the time but this hobby tends to make me do that.

I'm more prepared this time, all my cars are sold (dd'ing my wife's CR-V) and I'm just waiting for the RS to arrive.

In my experience, my private sales have come down to how motivated ($$$) I was to get a car gone. If I was stubborn and unwilling to budge on a price, the car usually sat longer and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I am waiting for my miata's turbo to be rebuilt...

Do you hate it when people say your car is Green instead of Blue? I find most montego owners do, and it is fun to poke fun at them for it =P
To be honest there's not much of the original paint left on it, and when the clearcoat flakes off the paint does look green. Yeah, there's a reason it's named Rusty. Hard to believe it started out life as an M Edition. If there's a "Show off my rides" section of the website I'll have to write one up because I have stories to tell about that one.

I am quite jealous about your turbo. I was about to pull the trigger on an FM kit for the nice Miata to stretch the legs on the MegaSquirt, but then I ordered a new car...

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm so peanut butter and jealous right now... Maybe I can convince my dealer to give me a good deal on the trade in, but I'm doubting it. I don't have any leverage.
Maybe. Long shot but what about finding another dealership (Ford or otherwise) and seeing if they will give you a better deal on your trade in, then asking your dealership to match? Your dealership doesn't have to know you don't have any intentions to stray from them or the RS. :Shrugs: just trying to give some ideas.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Good luck trying to sell the ST. They aren't worth much even low mileage. If you break even with selling it consider yourself lucky, trading you'll get robbed. I myself am giving my ST to my son. I dont want to go through the hassle of returning it to stock. I owe 9k on it so he's going to refinance it and pay it off. Fully bolted big turbo ST with 45000 miles on it for $9000 doesn't sound bad to me. He'll be happy with it

·
Registered
591 Posts
Good luck trying to sell the ST. They aren't worth much even low mileage. If you break even with selling it consider yourself lucky, trading you'll get robbed. I myself am giving my ST to my son. I dont want to go through the hassle of returning it to stock. I owe 9k on it so he's going to refinance it and pay it off. Fully bolted big turbo ST with 45000 miles on it for $9000 doesn't sound bad to me. He'll be happy with it
This!

I tried to privately sell my low mileage ST for three months but with very little interest. My Ford dealer offered me $16k first. I ended up taking it to Carmax where they gave me $18k. It's been for sale there for about six weeks and they've been steadily lowering the price about $500 a week.

I feel like I pulled a fast one on Carmax for once.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
26 Participants
WalterWhiteRS
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing