• Neither

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some insurers, like GEICO for example, offer "Mechanical Breakdown Insurance," which alleges to work like an extended warranty for up to 7 years or 100k miles.
Here's some of their own claims about it:
https://www.geico.com/auto-insurance/mechanical-breakdown-insurance/

What's your take on it? What do you prefer? Any experience with either?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Geico says that you have to enroll before the vehicle is 15 months old and before 15,000 miles, so in other words you're forced to pay for coverage that you don't need for two years until the factory warranty runs out. If you cancel before that, no more Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. Given how cheap Extended Service Plans can be (Subaru offers $500 two-year plans on the Outback), this would have to be very inexpensive to actually save you money. The upside is that it can be extended up to 7 years. The downside is that it only goes to 100k miles.

Having never had a car under 120k miles and after putting ~15k miles on them each year I can't say that I've ever wished that I could have had an extended warranty. Even with how extensively I've modified all of my cars, reliability has never been an issue for my notoriously unreliable cars. I doubt that I'd be interested in either, but that's not a decision for now. I doubt that I would have even considered it before 15 months of ownership, so insurance from Geico is out of the running regardless.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Having never had a car under 120k miles and after putting ~15k miles on them each year I can't say that I've ever wished that I could have had an extended warranty. Even with how extensively I've modified all of my cars, reliability has never been an issue for my notoriously unreliable cars. I doubt that I'd be interested in either, but that's not a decision for now. I doubt that I would have even considered it before 15 months of ownership, so insurance from Geico is out of the running regardless.
Yeah.. that.

I won't be buying one. These service plans are offered because in the vast majority of cases you never benefit from them. If it was common for people to have to use the service plans then they'd either be far more expensive or simply would not exist. Companies don't tend to last very long if they pay out more money than they bring in.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My point of consideration comes from this being an unproven platform using a new drivertrain that hasn't seen a lot of longevity testing. Is this not a concern, or are some people assuming there won't be potential issues discovered 5+ years down the road?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
My point of consideration comes from this being an unproven platform using a new drivertrain that hasn't seen a lot of longevity testing. Is this not a concern, or are some people assuming there won't be potential issues discovered 5+ years down the road?
To be honest, that's a pretty sensationalist claim. Engine has some new internals, but it's hardly unproven. The platform has been around for what, five years? There was some chassis stiffening done, mostly by adding in some angle brackets in key locations. Unless the welds are weak, I'm not sure why that would be a problem. The closest thing to unproven technology is the RDU (and NOT the PTU), but that has been around in concept since the early-mid 2000s and in practice for a few years already. It has been beefed up since its original release, but is anyone concerned that the transmission will have longevity issues because it has been beefed up slightly relative to the ST unit? I don't see any of this as a concern. I am looking to the Focus ST and the Ecoboost Mustang for indications of longterm reliability on the RS, and both of those say that we have nothing to worry about currently. That's my opinion.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be honest, that's a pretty sensationalist claim. Engine has some new internals, but it's hardly unproven. The platform has been around for what, five years? There was some chassis stiffening done, mostly by adding in some angle brackets in key locations. Unless the welds are weak, I'm not sure why that would be a problem. The closest thing to unproven technology is the RDU (and NOT the PTU), but that has been around in concept since the early-mid 2000s and in practice for a few years already. It has been beefed up since its original release, but is anyone concerned that the transmission will have longevity issues because it has been beefed up slightly relative to the ST unit? I don't see any of this as a concern. I am looking to the Focus ST and the Ecoboost Mustang for indications of longterm reliability on the RS, and both of those say that we have nothing to worry about currently. That's my opinion.
I'm not trying to make a sensationalist claim, so chill. It might be somewhat alarmist, I admit, but I want to make sure my bases are covered on a new vehicle. The RDU is a large unknown in reliability to me, as this is a brand new unit despite being based on a previous GKN design. Why not the PTU? What about the suspension? The rest of your post makes sense though, and it's great to hear that Fords have stepped up their game overall, but I wasn't referring to that

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm buying both-I'm not taking any chances. My ST motor lost compression at 57k and valve broke and made contact with piston. (I actually think there was car dealer assistance since they paid for a new motor so quick).
Having a bit a a rough idle at stop. Then driving along, engine light comes on. Not overheating, not running rough, all gauges reading normal so we kept going to home. Next stop was for service. Within four hours of having it in for service, they are telling me motor is dead and Ford approved a new long block. I also have Ford racing tune and they know it. Just seems too easy...

But yea, I'll buy the "insurance" and hope I don't use it. Besides, which one are the clutch packs on the rear wheels covered by? I can just see that as a weak point and a discussion as to whether it's maintenance or warranty.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm buying an extended warranty as well. After owning a BMW that needed a new transmission, new engine seals and new elec. sway bar
the cost of the repairs were close to the cost of the vehicle. I also needed new door sensors and parking distance sensors that I didn't fix. Of course this isn't a BMW but once you've had a car that has had 'issues' your scarred or thankful you bought an extended warranty. I plan on keeping the RS awhile so it makes more sense to me. Today's cars are more complex and costly to repair.

Mountune tuning gives me another reason for purchasing an extended warranty. Does the extended warranty cover performance parts from Mountune which are dealer installed? Not the part itself but 'related' components? I believe I read Phase one, but not phase two etc.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm buying both-I'm not taking any chances. My ST motor lost compression at 57k and valve broke and made contact with piston. (I actually think there was car dealer assistance since they paid for a new motor so quick).
Having a bit a a rough idle at stop. Then driving along, engine light comes on. Not overheating, not running rough, all gauges reading normal so we kept going to home. Next stop was for service. Within four hours of having it in for service, they are telling me motor is dead and Ford approved a new long block. I also have Ford racing tune and they know it. Just seems too easy...

But yea, I'll buy the "insurance" and hope I don't use it. Besides, which one are the clutch packs on the rear wheels covered by? I can just see that as a weak point and a discussion as to whether it's maintenance or warranty.
Ah, I didn't add a "both" option, didn't think of it. I was figuring one overlaps the other, so people would pick either of the two

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
When it comes to ext warranty plans they can be a very good buy. I know many top techs that get them on their vehicles and many people in the industry. The other thing to look at is you can cancel it and receive money back. One advisor I worked with had over 4500 in claims, canceled it when he sold it and received 800 back, he only paid 1500 for it.

I'm waiting on pricing but don't forget you can bargain here too. I have had ext warranty plans cut in half from what they originally told me. If F&I makes a few hundred it is better then nothing. Always negotiate :)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I'm buying an extended warranty as well. After owning a BMW that needed a new transmission, new engine seals and new elec. sway bar
the cost of the repairs were close to the cost of the vehicle. I also needed new door sensors and parking distance sensors that I didn't fix. Of course this isn't a BMW but once you've had a car that has had 'issues' your scarred or thankful you bought an extended warranty. I plan on keeping the RS awhile so it makes more sense to me. Today's cars are more complex and costly to repair.

Mountune tuning gives me another reason for purchasing an extended warranty. Does the extended warranty cover performance parts from Mountune which are dealer installed? Not the part itself but 'related' components? I believe I read Phase one, but not phase two etc.
When I worked at Honda, none of the extended warranty plans covered anything but factory parts.

PS they also very seldom would pay for OEM parts to be put back in the car. They have a program that tells the price of the parts for the repair and they are assholes about it. I never had a good experience calling those places.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have an extended warranty as an extra insurance policy so 6 years total and 75K miles...so if something goes so be it and let Ford foot the bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts