Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In about 14 hours, we'll hopefully get the data we've been waiting for, for what seems like forever.

Here we can list the Focus engine specifics and compare them to the Mustang engine and hopefully note all of the improvements.

2015 Mustang Engine Specs: EcoBoost 2.3L Four Cylinder
EcoBoost 2.3L In-Line 4 Cylinder
Configuration Aluminum block & head
Intake Manifold Composite
Exhaust Manifold Three-port integrated
into aluminum head
Valvetrain DOHC 4V
twin independent variable
camshaft timing
Valve Diameter/Lift Intake 31mm/8.31mm
Exhaust 30mm/7.42mm
Pistons Cast Aluminum
Connecting Rods Forged Steel
Bore x Stroke 3.45x3.7 in
87.55x94 mm
Displacement 140 cu. in/ 2,300 cc
Compression Ratio 9.5:1
Recommended Fuel Regular Unleaded
(87 Octane)
Fuel Delivery Direct Injection
Oil Capacity Six quarts 5W-30
2015 Mustang Transmission Specs: 2.3L EcoBoost

Standard Transmission - Six Speed Manual W/Hill Assist

2.3L EcoBoost
First Gear
Second Gear
Third Gear
Fourth Gear
Fifth Gear
Sixth Gear
Final Gear
3.15:1
3.55:1(Performance Pack)

Automatic Transmission - Six Speed W/ Paddle Shifter

2.3L EcoBoost
First Gear
Second Gear
Third Gear
Fourth Gear
Fifth Gear
Sixth Gear
Final Gear
3.15:1
3.31:1(optional)
3.55:1(Performance Pack)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Any update on the differences? I'm curious to know if the turbo is still integrated into the manifold. Kinda makes things difficult to upgrade the snail when it's like that.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Remember it's the manifold that's integrated to the head, not the turbo. The turbo still bolts on, but would have a proprietary inlet flange that would require an adapter (see current FoST offerings). It's easy enough to upgrade once someone can pop the stock turbo off and see what needs to be done with an adapter to a T25 or T3 flange.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Aww man they put power sapping balance shafts on this engine too? I dont need those

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
MAP removed them from the Mustang engine when they built it, if you build your motor you could do it reliably and have slightly smoother motor with less rotational mass.

I dare someone to remove em. free 15hp! do it... do it.
I wont.
I prefer a reliably balanced engine.

2.3EB > EJ257 all day

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's only worth it if you are already building the motor.

sure its possible to balance but its cost prohibitive for most. but if you have money to burn it will yield a nice gain.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I dare someone to remove em. free 15hp! do it... do it.
I wont.
I prefer a reliably balanced engine.

2.3EB > EJ257 all day
The balance shafts counter act unbalanced forces. They do not balance anything. Todays average consumer will not accept any type of vibs or sounds inside the cabin. Thats why they are there. The rotating assembly is balance long before the shaft are bolted in

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
It's only worth it if you are already building the motor.
Very true, and if I'm going to blueprint and engine, I'm making sure it will at least be good for 8500 rpms. I get the feeling there may not be much of a need to open up this engine. Time will tell but the MEB guys are doing good so far.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The balance shafts counter act unbalanced forces. They do not balance anything. Todays average consumer will not accept any type of vibs or sounds inside the cabin. Thats why they are there. The rotating assembly is balance long before the shaft are bolted in
you sure have a strange (specific) definition of balance. so balance shafts don't balance anything. per some definition of balance perhaps, but I was talking much more generally.
to balance is to counter to an extent yes? so they don't balance, but they counter? lol not sure what you were getting at.
anyway, EJ = no balance shaft EB = balance shaft. that was my point
EB is way smoother (balanced) than the EJ. /end part due to the age of the EJ... its old technology, new 4 bangers between 2-3 liters generally have balance shafts to keep them civilized and with start stop, balanced engines are a must to keep NVH to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was definitely disappointed with the 5900rpm peak power and 6800rpm redline. This motor should spin to at least 8 grand IMO.

Very true, and if I'm going to blueprint and engine, I'm making sure it will at least be good for 8500 rpms. I get the feeling there may not be much of a need to open up this engine. Time will tell but the MEB guys are doing good so far.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I was definitely disappointed with the 5900rpm peak power and 6800rpm redline. This motor should spin to at least 8 grand IMO.
Me too, I love screamers. The only problem is being a turbo engine to keep a power band across that much of a rev range you would need a twin turbo set up or a twin charge set up. I will say coming from the ST and having a massive TQ drop past 5500, the RS will not disappoint me. Speaking of 5900 peak power, we will have to see what a good tuner can do. It seems these engines have a lot of safe guards in terms of heat management at the top of the rev range. If your going BT it shouldn't matter, but Meth and some race gas I bet would be able to keep the curve very flat and strong until redline.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My current beater has an 8500rpm redline and is turbocharged. This motor apparently runs out of air at 6k, look for some of the Mustang ecoboost stock turbo dynos and you'll see the large torque/horsepower drop off.

This motor should have spun (conservatively) to at least 7500rpm and had peak power significantly closer to redline IMO.

with the way so many of these modern turbo engines are going, I was thrilled with 6800 rpm redline and such a high peak power RPM. Most of them run out of gas by 5900...

·
Registered
151 Posts
My current beater has an 8500rpm redline and is turbocharged. This motor apparently runs out of air at 6k, look for some of the Mustang ecoboost stock turbo dynos and you'll see the large torque/horsepower drop off.

This motor should have spun (conservatively) to at least 7500rpm and had peak power significantly closer to redline IMO.
Well, first off the RS has a different head that was designed by Cosworth IIRC so I expect wholly different airflow characteristics. The fact that it will rev to likely 7 before hitting the limiter is great to me. No reason to make it useless to drive 90% of the time like the STi or Evo

·
Banned
1,389 Posts

gte,

Life is too short to drive a "beater". :D :D :D

Peace YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
12 Participants
reitmr
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing