Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The majority of members here have not yet taken deliver so maybe this is timely advice. Others have mentioned it but I want to make sure it had its own thread - maybe even worthy of a sticky.

To prevent jounce during shipping and to improve ride height for loading/unloading, the factory places rubber blocks in the springs. Please see picture below. There is a BIG YELLOW warning sticker on the windshield to remind dealers to remove these blocks during the PDI process. My dealer didn't remove them and I drove 70 miles home with a pretty stiff ride! There are easy enough to remove yourself. If you jack up the car a bit on the side you want to remove, it's even a little easier as the spring will not be compressing them. Just reach in the wheel well and pull them out.

IMG_4589.JPG

·
Registered
423 Posts
For all you want to know

https://fsp.portal.covisint.com/documents/106025/13672774/2014+Rail+and+Haulaway+Vehicle+Handling+Manual/32788437-bd2a-4205-b19f-0bc748aafc94 2016 and 2017 Ford and Lincoln Vehicles Ford Focus For Haulaway, follow these load restrictions when loading: V-pull only using Ford approved T-hooks or over the tire soft straps, except when car is above cab facing reward, the driver must use over the tire soft straps on each tire (no chains). Focus RS Specific Instructions: Strict adherence to the 1 mph rule when loading and unloading the vehicle must be followed to avoid damage Focus RS units can only be loaded on the top deck of a carhaul rig using over the tire soft straps on each tire (no chains) Verify that the vehicle is equipped with spacer blocks. There should be two spacer blocks per spring and can be easily seen by looking between the fender and tire on both sides of the vehicle (Front tires only). If spacer blocks are not on the vehicle, the vehicle should not be transported to the next destination. Email or call Sean Grant ([email protected] (313) 337-8674)), Gerardo Lucena ([email protected] (313) 323-2586)) or Leland Chang ([email protected]; (313) 390-2053)). Last edited by Rallycross; Yesterday at 09:42 PM.

·
Super Moderator
15,434 Posts
This may have been the issue with the stiff ride reports from all of the British write-ups of late.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
LOL I remember this problem from when I bought my S2000. Mine was fine but many were missed in PDIs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just now realizing after 400 miles the shipping blocks were never removed.

My question is can leaving these in for how many miles I have so far cause any damage? I read up on the forum about these and told the salesman to remove them. Obviously never happened, I was so in the zone picking it up and the last few days I never bothered to check. From my understanding (because I couldn't find it) are these shipping blocks only in the front correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
only in the front, jack up the car take them out ezpz no you will not have any damage

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah,
we got ours with shipping blocks still in, 55psi in the tires & front plate drilled but no rear plate bracket !!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yeah,
we got ours with shipping blocks still in, 55psi in the tires & front plate drilled but no rear plate bracket !!
Wow... Great job Ford. Quality is job 1, my @$$.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Eh I'm sure the spring blocks will wear away eventually lol

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Are you guys telling the dealers to not PDI the car? There's literally a massive sticker on the center of the windshield telling them to remove them.

This happened on my wives GLI and they were still more or less intact after a year, so I wouldn't count on them falling out on their own.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i was washing the car this weekend and low and behold mine were still there, thats like 800 miles later. I want to know what they were thinking when they removed the sticker....

·
Registered
367 Posts
well just checked my car out of paranoia and they were not there, thankfully

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
i was washing the car this weekend and low and behold mine were still there, thats like 800 miles later. I want to know what they were thinking when they removed the sticker....
Easy, PDI guy removes tons of stickers on every car he PDIs. He's just mindlessly doing his job.

This happened with S2000s. Even 7 years after launch when I bought mine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've even seen spring blocks on more than one vehicle sat in a dealers showroom.

·
Registered
239 Posts
lol, I caught the spring blocks, but missed the tire pressure and back screws scraping the paint (till I got home), drove around with the 60psi.. wasn't scary, but testing the stopping power sure was, interesting.. once it was back down to 46psi the stopping distance went from nuts to ludicrous!

1 - 20 of 123 Posts