Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good evening all!

Keep looking at used Focus RS's on FB Marketplace - would like to try a AWD hot hatch that isn't a flat four. :)

Found a relatively local car, a 2016 with 4,5xx miles and a rebuilt motor.

Title is clean and the price is HIGH (IMO) for a 2016 => $42,500.

Reason for the rebuild (according to the seller) was that the motor was built and then the head gasket went - so they had to do it over again.

So...to plagarize Jalopnik, Nice Price or Crack Pipe No Dice?

Link to website of used car dealer: 2016 Ford Focus for sale in Hollister, MO 65672

Regards,

Michael

·
Registered
323 Posts
At that price I'd be looking for something with a cleaner history.

Once someone has been in there (who built the engine? Ford, Joe Blow, a tuner?), it's a crapshoot. Is there a warranty that you'd trust on the work?

You can get a 2018 that's unmolested at that price. Sure maybe it'll have 20-30k miles but it'll be a safer bet.

This would be a decent buy at $36k IMO. But personally I wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
A good technique is not to buy someone else's project. Looks like they have an auxiliary fuel setup (purple stuff). I'd pass. Green coolant is incorrect for this car. I'm also digging the CEL on with the car running.

I'd put money on them going big turbo without forging the motor, they popped it, and had to start over.

It's also an RS1 trim, which may not matter much to you.

·
Registered
937 Posts
At that price I'd be looking for something with a cleaner history.

Once someone has been in there (who built the engine? Ford, Joe Blow, a tuner?), it's a crapshoot. Is there a warranty that you'd trust on the work?

You can get a 2018 that's unmolested at that price. Sure maybe it'll have 20-30k miles but it'll be a safer bet.

This would be a decent buy at $36k IMO. But personally I wouldn't touch it.
Ditto!

Grenaded the 1st engine. Fluffed the build on the second, and now it's got a 3rd engine. Like CP said; if it was a documented motor built by a name speed shop with a lengthy rep of killer/bullet proof motors----maybe.

My 2 cents? Keep looking; you can do better. Best of luck! (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts