Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home when traffic slowed down. As I downshifted to 3rd, my engine stalled/shut off and I got a service engine now notice on the dash. I was able to coast to the side of the road, but could not start the car right away. There seemed to be no response to the start/stop button, but after opening the door and closoing it again, the car fired right up and drove normal the rest of the way home. I kept it out of boost and plugged in my code scanner when I got home and there are no current or pending codes. After checking for codes, I took the car out for a spin and it drives normal and seems to be making good power and full boost.

When this happened, I was in afternoon traffic, nowhere near redline and did not do anything out of the ordinary. I am not sure what could have caused this, and with no codes, I don't have a clue how to even begin to figure out what happened.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Maybe start with the battery in the key/fob/remote- Plus where do you normally place the key/fob/remote when you're out driving?
For me it's either in the "rear" cup holder or in the bottom of the center "puka"....

Check both (+) & (-) battery cables they are secure...

Maybe it was the heat/humidity/AC-running that put a strain on the electronic system... but just guessing...

....................................................................................................................................................

Not trying to sound rude- but maybe you accidentally hit the start/stop switch as you were reaching down to the shifter

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No mods, and I had both keys with me at the time, in my pocket.

I checked battery cables, and they are secure and clean, tested the battery last night and it is good too.

The car drove fine on the way to work this morning, so I guess I just wait and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Maybe start with the battery in the key/fob/remote- Plus where do you normally place the key/fob/remote when you're out driving?
For me it's either in the "rear" cup holder or in the bottom of the center "puka"....

Check both (+) & (-) battery cables they are secure...

Maybe it was the heat/humidity/AC-running that put a strain on the electronic system... but just guessing...

....................................................................................................................................................

Not trying to sound rude- but maybe you accidentally hit the start/stop switch as you were reaching down to the shifter

If the FOB died, he would get a 'Key not found in car alert' but the car would continue running until you shut it down, but won't let you start again.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Call me crazy-

But having both fob/remotes in your pocket pressed against each other may have caused the key/fob/remote sensor to get "confused".

To me, I would never carry both sets of fob/remote together at the same time.

On occasion- One would go in da wife's pursue, but that's if we are on a road-trip & as backup since being far from home....

·
Registered
613 Posts
Once the car is turned on, the functions of the key fob don’t effect the the car. It can be inside, outside, stolen or destroyed, but as long as the car is not turned off it remains running. It is a safety function. Imagine your car turning off on the highway because the key fob died.
OP, have you scanned for stored codes? After checking the battery terminals, that would be my next check. It could’ve been a fluke and didn’t produce a code. But it is worth checking.

·
5,622 Posts
Sounds electrical.
Check your fuses wiring.

Good luck.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had a engine shut down during driving which lead to my dealer checking out the a couple of times. First time it happened , there were no fault codes. Second and third time - they were able to capture them. When the car shut off in its own I had Hill start, drive mode unavailable, error messages.

I asked my dealer to consider doing Focus ST wiring loom repair - which they did after discussing with Ford NZ. Touch wood the car has been running fine for almost a year now.

I have seen 2 reports of same fix applied to our RSes so it’s not common. Mine is 2016 March build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OP, have you scanned for stored codes? After checking the battery terminals, that would be my next check. It could’ve been a fluke and didn’t produce a code. But it is worth checking.
I did check, no stored or pending codes

I had a engine shut down during driving which lead to my dealer checking out the a couple of times. First time it happened , there were no fault codes. Second and third time - they were able to capture them. When the car shut off in its own I had Hill start, drive mode unavailable, error messages.

I asked my dealer to consider doing Focus ST wiring loom repair - which they did after discussing with Ford NZ. Touch wood the car has been running fine for almost a year now.

I have seen 2 reports of same fix applied to our RSes so it’s not common. Mine is 2016 March build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did not know about the ST wiring repair, I will keep that in mind if it happens again. Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Something similar happened on my drive today but my access Port showed me a coffee of p2112.

I pulled over, despite traffic not understanding what hazzard lights mean, and shut off the car. I then restarted it fine.

Another guy in my local club said it has happened to him and just did a KAM and never happened again.

I drove another 25miles and didn't notice a thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
I’d note it, but brush it off...

Mine has tossed up all sorts of odd errors. Mostly due to low voltage, since I rarely drive mine.

Also next time your car offers you a coffee, please snap a pic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was driving home when traffic slowed down. As I downshifted to 3rd, my engine stalled/shut off and I got a service engine now notice on the dash. I was able to coast to the side of the road, but could not start the car right away. There seemed to be no response to the start/stop button, but after opening the door and closoing it again, the car fired right up and drove normal the rest of the way home. I kept it out of boost and plugged in my code scanner when I got home and there are no current or pending codes. After checking for codes, I took the car out for a spin and it drives normal and seems to be making good power and full boost.

When this happened, I was in afternoon traffic, nowhere near redline and did not do anything out of the ordinary. I am not sure what could have caused this, and with no codes, I don't have a clue how to even begin to figure out what happened.
Did you happen to recently get gas? A lot of the fords have this problem from time to time and 99% of the time it’s jist a vapor lock issue.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, I had the issue happen twice over the course of a few weeks and different tanks of gas. The car is now Ford's problem, my lemon law replacement finally happened 3 weeks ago. This power loss issue was a new one that appeared after my car was declared a lemon, and one of several problems I had after the head gasket recall.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rather than starting my own thread, would be keen to hear on any others that have experienced Code P2112 and what could cause this?

I have a very similar story to the OP whereby I was driving to work in the morning, accelerating I changed from 2nd to 3rd my engine stalled/shuddered to a stop, I got the service engine now emblem on the dash. I managed to crawl to the emergency lane, but could not start the car up again without difficulty and engine shudder.

I was fearing the worst (engine failure) and the fact I could not just leave my car there, I had it towed to the dealership to investigate.

So I am not sure if the car is perfectly fine. The dealership have indicated as there is a Tune on the vehicle (this is a stage 2) so they cannot complete a full diagnostic until this is returned to stock.

Any advice or thoughts?

·
Registered
105 Posts
My first piece of advice, as simple as it may sound, return the car to stock and go from there??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts