Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Looking for Vinyl options that work with Nitrous Blue

11K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  SoraNezumi 
#1 ·
I have a hood from a wrecked Focus SE (which is silver) that I've added hood vents to and looking for any vinyl options that are close to Nitrous Blue. Only thing I found so far is this "Smurf Blue" from ViVid+:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HF8SGZK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was able to get a small 4"x4" sample and it looks very close but slightly darker in the sun light.

I've also considered going with a matte black or carbon fiber pattern vinyl, but seems a bit over done.

Also open to any other color suggestions that would compliment NB

#4 ·
I would say black like the LE, if you will be vynling the roof too.

if not, paint it
No plans vinyling the roof, I actually prefer having the blue roof. This being my "junk"/track hood, I wasn't planning on investing much into it, since its already in questionable shape (broken stud that i had to fix, covered in little dents and scratches, etc.) I just didn't want it to look too trashy with the silver hood lol.

#10 ·
Satin black looks great on NB. I did my roof/mirrors.

#12 ·
Thanks all for the input. I have a body shop near my work, so I may just drop by and see how much it would be to do a respray of my hood to NB.

Part of the reason I wanted to do a vinyl wrap was also just to learn and have fun with the experience of doing it. I've painted body panels before for kicks with regular gloss/metalic paint and clear coat. It was not easy so I can't even imagine how hard NB would be with flake.

#15 ·
I have a hood from a wrecked Focus SE (which is silver) that I've added hood vents to and looking for any vinyl options that are close to Nitrous Blue. Only thing I found so far is this "Smurf Blue" from ViVid+:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HF8SGZK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was able to get a small 4"x4" sample and it looks very close but slightly darker in the sun light.

I've also considered going with a matte black or carbon fiber pattern vinyl, but seems a bit over done.

Also open to any other color suggestions that would compliment NB
try avery dennison brand 900-677 blue

#16 ·
I actually have been very happy with my originally posted ViVid+ glossy smurf blue. It was VERY close to the NB, only missing the flake, which isn't really visible unless you are very close up or looking at light reflecting off the paint.

Always good to have other options tho (y)

#19 ·
Necro-bump per @SoraNezumi request.

Just realized that I never really posted pics of what my vinyl wrap ended up looking, so here you go!

For reference, this was a combination of the Vvivid+ glossy smurf blue (sides) and matte black (center).

Wheel Tire Vehicle White Hood

Main reason for the matte black? No, not for glare reduction at the track. It's for custom livery of course!

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Now, for those wondering how the smurf blue vinyl compares to the NB, here is a shot of the hood next to the bumper. You can see that the colors are very close. In direct sunlight, the vinyl is ever so slightly darker and obviously does not have all that flake that's in the NB. Otherwise, in all other lighting conditions, they are very similar and hard to distinguish from a distance.

Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive lighting Hood

Here's a close up shot:

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille Motor vehicle

Do note that those shots were taken right after I did the wrap around 3 or so years ago. Here's what it looks today. The color has definitely faded and the little imperfections and water marks have appeared and the little knicks and scratches have turned into full-on splits and cracks, exposing the silver paint underneath.

Automotive parking light Blue Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Vehicle Blue Window Car Automotive lighting

Do note that my car is my daily and is parked outside, so it spends most of it's time out in the elements. I try as best I could to protect it with regular cleaning, wax and sealants, although I'm not sure if that could have caused this discoloration. I will most likely re-do the wrap with maybe a different brand, perhaps the 3M and have a pro do it this time around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.