Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a later-production RS that sports a windshield without the empty black box up top used to hide the Euro features like lane detection and rain sensors and such. I suspect many of you are in this boat as well. Let me enlighten you with two problems you WILL run into when it is time to replace your windshield, and present to you a solution.

PROBLEM #1: If you go to the Ford dealership and ask them to look up a replacement windshield for you (even with your VIN number), it will bring up the wrong windshield. The windshield that shows up is the Euro one with blacked-out space for the big black plastic box. I don’t want that (it costs between $480 and $550), and I suspect you don’t either.

PROBLEM #2: I ordered a Focus ST windshield, thinking it would work great; however, I learned very quickly that the Focus ST rear-view mirror sits a full 2 inches lower than the RS mirror! This was very jarring to me, coming from the higher-up RS location.
After much research with the manager at my local Safelite, we found a solution.

SOLUTION!
Apparently somewhere between 2012 and 2013, Ford moved the mirror position on the Focus down to its current ST location (2 inches lower than the RS). So, we ordered a windshield for a 2012 Ford Focus. When it came in, not only was the mirror in the same place as the RS, but the windshield included solar glass, an acoustic layer, and a tint stripe across the top (which I wasn’t crazy about until I saw it installed, and now I love it).

The windshield is made by Pilkington (a great company, and the same people who make our rear glass), and here is the part number: DW1876.

Total installed price was ~$331.

Here are three pictures of the new windshield, followed by one (out of focus) picture of the old.

OUTSIDE NEW.jpg

INSIDE.jpg

LABEL.jpg

OUTSIDE CRACK.jpg

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nice find. The dot matrix patch above the rearview looks a good deal bigger than stock, but it might be the angle of the photo. Does it bother you?

Do you remember the part numbers that Ford gave you? I was under the impression that BM5Z-5803100-D is the 2017 windshield.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice find. The dot matrix patch above the rearview looks a good deal bigger than stock, but it might be the angle of the photo. Does it bother you?

Do you remember the part numbers that Ford gave you? I was under the impression that BM5Z-5803100-D is the 2017 windshield.
The dot matrix is very close to the size of the OEM windshield on mine, so it doesn't bother me at all. It could be because I used a wide-angle mode on my phone for that interior pic.

I don't remember the Ford part number, but the parts guy looked it up with my VIN, and told me only one compatible windshield shows up in their system. He showed me the picture, and it had the large black region for the Euro electronics. That windshield would work for early production Rs' because they still have the large plastic box up there, but it would look crazy on a later production one.

I'm totally satisfied with this 2012 Focus windshield, and the car seems a bit quieter (which could be a positive or negative for some folks).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Oh, I see what you mean about the dot matrix pattern. The region is the same size, but this windshield has the dots "inverted," so instead of dots they are holes :) . It doesn't bother me at all, and might even make it a bit more shady inside.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nice info. Thanks for the details.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone know if this Pilkington DW1876 windshield will work on a 2016 USDM RS setup? I need to replace my windshield and would love to lose that pointless, uvula-looking monstrosity at the top. Would I need any different hardware (mirror, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone know if this Pilkington DW1876 windshield will work on a 2016 USDM RS setup? I need to replace my windshield and would love to lose that pointless, uvula-looking monstrosity at the top. Would I need any different hardware (mirror, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!
The op says it fits on his RS; might be a good time to put in the homelink mirror of your choice. It may have a mounting plate already installed, but idk.

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
It's a slide on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yup, I used the same mirror. The shop said it was an easy install :)
You have a late production MY16 or MY17? I have a 06/16 produced car and the OE rearview is twist on. I just got my windshield replaced the other day, and it just so happens that it's the same one you mentioned in the first post, it has a mount for a slide on mirror. I went to O'Reily's to get a replacement but it shakes too much and doesn't drop low enough. Because of this the upper console (with the sunglasses holder and dome lights) is visible in the mirror.

Any and all info you can share about your mirror would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, I used the same mirror. The shop said it was an easy install
You have a late production MY16 or MY17? I have a 06/16 produced car and the OE rearview is twist on. I just got my windshield replaced the other day, and it just so happens that it's the same one you mentioned in the first post, it has a mount for a slide on mirror. I went to O'Reily's to get a replacement but it shakes too much and doesn't drop low enough. Because of this the upper console (with the sunglasses holder and dome lights) is visible in the mirror.

Any and all info you can share about your mirror would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry, I missed your response. I have a 2017 model (built in November of 2016), and my mirror was a perfect fit onto the replacement one. No shaking or anything.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My city decided it would be a good idea to bring the street sweeper out on the freeway during everyone's morning commute and now I have a nice big crack on my windshield. However I have a 2016 with the giant black dong behind the mirror and I'm intrigued by the option of going with this 2012 Focus windshield but I see I'll need a different rear view mirror. Anyone have the part number for the 2017 RS rear view mirror, or the 2012 base focus rear view mirror? I've tried doing some research but I'm getting different numbers and different looking shapes/designs. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What constitutes a later production?
I'm not sure what makes for a later production car.

However, mine was built in late June (6/30/16 was the last ETIS update I saw). I got the windshield that the OP mentioned and then I ordered Mirror - Interior Rear View 4M5Z-17000-A from Rydell Ford (because their shipping was the cheapest) for $31.80 and both parts fit perfectly. I don't even notice the blue strip at the top when I'm driving or looking at the car. The "black box" being gone is great!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts