Ford Focus RS Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
700whp on this platform is complicated, hella expensive, and practically useless until we get more rdu support, even with a carloop and custom rdu calibrations. (if you haven't read up on that I suggest you do)

As for tuning, fwd mode is reliable. Idk where you've read it isn't. You don't need two separate tunes for hot and cold either. Have you considered what type of fuel you'll be using? Unless you're running a syvecs ECU, the cobb can turn it to dyno mode with a couple button clicks. Please pick a reputable tuner who will either etune, or make time within their schedule to remote dyno tune. When you spend copious amounts of an inheritance on a built engine, all supporting mods, and installation you'd be crazy not to tune it with someone who knows this platform very well. Enjoy your journey, it's going to be a long one.

Premium Member
2016 Ford Focus RS Black
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
700whp on this platform is complicated, hella expensive, and practically useless until we get more rdu support, even with a carloop and custom rdu calibrations. (if you haven't read up on that I suggest you do)

As for tuning, fwd mode is reliable. Idk where you've read it isn't. You don't need two separate tunes for hot and cold either. Have you considered what type of fuel you'll be using? Unless you're running a syvecs ECU, the cobb can turn it to dyno mode with a couple button clicks. Please pick a reputable tuner who will either etune, or make time within their schedule to remote dyno tune. When you spend copious amounts of an inheritance on a built engine, all supporting mods, and installation you'd be crazy not to tune it with someone who knows this platform very well. Enjoy your journey, it's going to be a long one.
I will I'm planning on taking my time with this. I didn't say FWD tuning wasn't reliable. I have read that you can't get into the overboost apparently when in the dyno mode or fuse disconnected. I only wish to be careful of that function causing an unwanted surge in power producing too much and breaking something. I was under the impression that 700whp was quite conservative 馃ぃ. Considering "claims" of well over that. Maybe I should shoot for the 500whp then? The RDU? So I will need to custom map/tune that as well eh? Well I've looked into a 586whp build which is very recent and it does appear you are correct as no solution has been found for this. However his build was quite conservative compared on what i had planned. This car is completely hindered by the RDU for anything really over 400whp without tuning it. Even then the guy stated he needed perfect dry pavement and was teetering on the limit when he did tune it. Maybe when doing rolling starts (street races/highway races) it wouldn't be? Hmm. But I will be doing the severe weight reduction route with it. So 400whp or whatever this thing is gonna scoot. I guess I was looking too much at the Ken Block RS hoping to SOMEWHAT replicate but NOT entirely...lol. Which I read it was actually sold. However if the secret to his car I guess ever comes out on how he pulled it off (I'm going to assume it's possible he disabled the RTU or has some sort of delete kit or entirely different axle system setup) I will resume that build. But the power to weight ratio will be pretty insane if a solution is ever found. Happy holidays to everyone in this thread!

Registered
I will I'm planning on taking my time with this. I didn't say FWD tuning wasn't reliable. I have read that you can't get into the overboost apparently when in the dyno mode or fuse disconnected. I only wish to be careful of that function causing an unwanted surge in power producing too much and breaking something. I was under the impression that 700whp was quite conservative 馃ぃ. Considering "claims" of well over that. Maybe I should shoot for the 500whp then? The RDU? So I will need to custom map/tune that as well eh? Well I've looked into a 586whp build which is very recent and it does appear you are correct as no solution has been found for this. However his build was quite conservative compared on what i had planned. This car is completely hindered by the RDU for anything really over 400whp without tuning it. Even then the guy stated he needed perfect dry pavement and was teetering on the limit when he did tune it. Maybe when doing rolling starts (street races/highway races) it wouldn't be? Hmm. But I will be doing the severe weight reduction route with it. So 400whp or whatever this thing is gonna scoot. I guess I was looking too much at the Ken Block RS hoping to SOMEWHAT replicate but NOT entirely...lol. Which I read it was actually sold. However if the secret to his car I guess ever comes out on how he pulled it off (I'm going to assume it's possible he disabled the RTU or has some sort of delete kit or entirely different axle system setup) I will resume that build. But the power to weight ratio will be pretty insane if a solution is ever found. Happy holidays to everyone in this thread!
I would like to mention that the rally RS RX's are not even really focus's. They are 100% purpose built rally/race cars. However, please make a build thread and post your progress, etc. I will definitely follow it. Good luck on your journey.

fun links:
ken blocks rs rx auction
Hoonigan's build biology on an RS RX

Registered
The RS does not like being run in AWD on the dyno. I recall one stubborn dyno shop owner not listening to me about it. A 14 second dyno pull makes it pretty clear.

Premium Member
2016 Ford Focus RS Black
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The RS does not like being run in AWD on the dyno. I recall one stubborn dyno shop owner not listening to me about it. A 14 second dyno pull makes it pretty clear.
Yeah from what I researched on it it's best to do fwd. I'm glad another member said something so I could look up details on it and the RDU problems. Only thing is I see more and more people running even higher horsepower rs's and haven't seen too many complaints via threads. At least that is what is "claimed". My assumption is they are not dragging it at least not from a dead stop and doing 60mph rolls or something. I would assume it would still be a blast. But from what I read is I'll have to go E85 if I want to make big power in the stock engine. With an upgraded engine, fuel system, plugs, turbo, bolt ons, intercooler and upgraded drivetrain I assume I could push a lot on just 93 alone. But if I wanted even more horsepower it would still be safer to go E85 or E30. Ethanol is something that would be very time consuming to maintain as far as testing fuel each time I go to the pump unless I'm missing something? Plus fuel economy and would cost me even more in the long run. I think I'd rather have it when I wanna have fun on weekends. I'm not very versed in ethanol or even nitrous for that matter. I'm going to avoid nitrous like a cancer though. Seems way too unpredictable for me like a last resort. this is the championship prize money I'm gonna blow my engine to win if I have to resort. But I could be wrong. I know nothing about it.

Registered
I would do eTUNING. But if I'm putting that much money into a car I'm going to want it etuned and logged on a dyno.
eTunes IMO are better than a dyno tune because they require you to log on the street whereas a dyno is a controlled environment that may or may not reflect your local environment.

Registered
Yeah from what I researched on it it's best to do fwd. I'm glad another member said something so I could look up details on it and the RDU problems. Only thing is I see more and more people running even higher horsepower rs's and haven't seen too many complaints via threads. At least that is what is "claimed". My assumption is they are not dragging it at least not from a dead stop and doing 60mph rolls or something. I would assume it would still be a blast. But from what I read is I'll have to go E85 if I want to make big power in the stock engine. With an upgraded engine, fuel system, plugs, turbo, bolt ons, intercooler and upgraded drivetrain I assume I could push a lot on just 93 alone. But if I wanted even more horsepower it would still be safer to go E85 or E30. Ethanol is something that would be very time consuming to maintain as far as testing fuel each time I go to the pump unless I'm missing something? Plus fuel economy and would cost me even more in the long run. I think I'd rather have it when I wanna have fun on weekends. I'm not very versed in ethanol or even nitrous for that matter. I'm going to avoid nitrous like a cancer though. Seems way too unpredictable for me like a last resort. this is the championship prize money I'm gonna blow my engine to win if I have to resort. But I could be wrong. I know nothing about it.
You can get an ethanol sensor kit.

Registered
2017 Black RS
@chadster54321 , there are people that track the e85 content around here, you might have something similar for where you are. Also most of the ethanol pumps where I am (Arizona) are actually marked as "flex-fuel", which is consistently e54. There are some e85 pumps which range from e85 to e99.... but there are none of those around me. So I have a test kit, but have never had to use it yet, since I always gas up at the e54 station. You might have similar consistency with the e85 pumps. Even if it's off some, your tune should adjust for it.

I was avoiding going with an ethanol blend because I didn't want the hassle of mixing fuels. I started thinking about WMI, but my tuner talked me into ethanol, and I'm glad he did. That's nothing bad about WMI since I've never run it, but I'm just happy with the ethanol results, and either of those would be better than the plain 91 octane here.

Get the sensor that @Sickflo_rs posted about above so you can watch it mix and know where it ends up at. It usually takes about 5-10 mins of driving for it to fully mix and stabilize. Also, if your tuner will do multiple maps then it's even easier, so if you get mystery e85, you can just switch to a map that is closest to what it ends up at. My tune has maps for 91 octane (e10), e20, e30, and e40 that can be quickly switched to. Good luck!

Premium Member
2016 Ford Focus RS Black
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
@chadster54321 , there are people that track the e85 content around here, you might have something similar for where you are. Also most of the ethanol pumps where I am (Arizona) are actually marked as "flex-fuel", which is consistently e54. There are some e85 pumps which range from e85 to e99.... but there are none of those around me. So I have a test kit, but have never had to use it yet, since I always gas up at the e54 station. You might have similar consistency with the e85 pumps. Even if it's off some, your tune should adjust for it.

I was avoiding going with an ethanol blend because I didn't want the hassle of mixing fuels. I started thinking about WMI, but my tuner talked me into ethanol, and I'm glad he did. That's nothing bad about WMI since I've never run it, but I'm just happy with the ethanol results, and either of those would be better than the plain 91 octane here.

Get the sensor that @Sickflo_rs posted about above so you can watch it mix and know where it ends up at. It usually takes about 5-10 mins of driving for it to fully mix and stabilize. Also, if your tuner will do multiple maps then it's even easier, so if you get mystery e85, you can just switch to a map that is closest to what it ends up at. My tune has maps for 91 octane (e10), e20, e30, and e40 that can be quickly switched to. Good luck!
Thanks will definitely give it a look. Don't you have to get a new fuel pump and filter that can run that? New to ethanol so I won't know everything I need to set it up first.

Registered
Thanks will definitely give it a look. Don't you have to get a new fuel pump and filter that can run that? New to ethanol so I won't know everything I need to set it up first.
Nope, it's fine as is.

Registered
2017 Black RS
If you want to run a blend higher than e40, then you'll need a bigger pump and bigger injectors. Most people keep using the OE fuel filter without issue, and some people use the Radium filter. So as @JamoRS said, nothing would need to change, except you really should install the ethanol sensor, and that just replaces one of the fuel hoses.

Premium Member
2016 Ford Focus RS Black
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
If you want to run a blend higher than e40, then you'll need a bigger pump and bigger injectors. Most people keep using the OE fuel filter without issue, and some people use the Radium filter. So as @JamoRS said, nothing would need to change, except you really should install the ethanol sensor, and that just replaces one of the fuel hoses.
I think what we got here is E85 Tbh. I don't think we have E30. But as I said I was planning on going all in anyway so bigger pump and injectors with big turbo w/external WG would be a must. But we will see.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts