Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

By Collin Woodard, Jan 8, 2016

Christian von Koenigsegg is best known for building world-beating supercars, but he's also big into powertrain innovations.

Other than the crazy hybrid-drive system he developed for the Koenigsegg Regera that allows it to run without a transmission, he's also been working for years on something with the potential to be much more groundbreaking–a camless engine.

Called the Freevalve engine, it does without a camshaft and instead relies on electronically controlled pneumatic actuators and springs to individually open and close each valve.

Theoretically, it would significantly increase power, torque, and fuel economy, which sounds like a pretty good deal. But how long it will take to be production ready is still up in the air.

Look at How Koenigsegg's Wild Freevalve Engine Runs Without Camshafts

Video Shows Inner Workings Of Koenigsegg?s Camless Engine

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
That is similar to a camless idea I had about 10 years ago. While I know the drivers for the valve would wear, replacing them could be far easier than a timing belt and the odds of bent valves is down, unless some control messes up and opens one at the wrong time.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
As a sort of baby step, Fiat's MultiAir system doesn't have an intake cam and can pneumatically adjust the timing well enough pneumatically that it has no need for a throttle body. I am less familiar with BMW's system, but that one also doesn't use a throttle body. I feel like a valve system similar to our mechanically-driven direct injection systems isn't far off. Completely camless then wouldn't be much farther than that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I could definitely see this revolutionizing engine building if it ever does make it to production level. As long as the engines are non-interference types( if an actuator decides to fail), I truly believe everyone will be on this in the next decade or so.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I could definitely see this revolutionizing engine building if it ever does make it to production level. As long as the engines are non-interference types( if an actuator decides to fail), I truly believe everyone will be on this in the next decade or so.
The actuator/solenoid has to over come spring pressure to open. Therefore if (when) it fails, it will stay closed. Occurring problems would vary between misfires and dead cylinders and massive backing firing

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
334 Posts
This is a fairly revolutionary idea, because it will eliminate a number of the parts that tend to cause overall engine weakness and failure. Plus, not needing a camshaft should make engines smaller and easier to produce/install/fix. I think this is something that the entire automotive industry will embrace easily within the decade.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
this is a true replacement for displacement

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
This theory has been around for decades, prototypes have been made but none to production. It is an awesome design and one that should be implemented, you could change timing in an instant and would have no limitations of the valve timing, overlap, and so forth. The only problem is now overcoming cost and making sure it is reliable, no one wants a valve to stick open.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
Crooked Letta
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing