Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus RS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background first. I'm new to my Ford Focus RS, and new to suspension in general. However, I live in Roanoke, VA. Lots of back roads full of fun off-roading experiences along with great paved, windy mountain roads. I love my new Focus RS, however, I wanted to extend its capability for light rally performance on the back roads. So I started researching suspension kits that would accommodate the rougher terrain, still maintain performance for the street, and also not compromise daily driving.
At first I was overwhelmed, because I didn't know anything about suspension. Also, most of the kits were 2 - 3Gs+ and they were geared more towards lowering the vehicle and track performance. I needed to do the opposite. Then I started reading articles about how its going to cost me 5 - 10 - 15Gs or more for this to happen.
I had a wild imagination of what I might do in the car, but in reality, what I would actually do would probably be different and I knew I didn't need to spend 5000+ on suspension to go off-roading. At least in the beginning :). I also had limited money for this project as it stood.
After calling multiple suspension companies. I came to the conclusion of using Yellow Speed Racing Dynamic Pro Sport coilovers w/ extended strut assembly and Remote adjuster cables (for the rear suspension). After describing what I was trying to do with the car the engineers there recommended these coils over all the others, specially over the Dynamic Pro Gravel Rally coilovers because it had to do with my car also being a daily driver. By default the DPS coilovers are not setup with this type of application and the extended strut option is needed. The remote adjuster cables are also an option that needs to be specified for the RS. These also carry a 2 year warranty. I got everything for 1,191.00. (they were on sale)
I made this discussion after speaking with the following companies: Fortune, KW, FEAL.

I just ordered my suspension today and after it arrives and I start working on it, I will update the post with pictures, installation, and the end result of it all.

I hope this helps anyone else that is on a budget and looking for a setup that will provide some light rally capability for their focus rs.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus RS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you’ve read the ‘lifting the RS’ thread a few times, great wealth of information
Thanks for the pointer. I did not read that thread - but I have now. I did read another thread, forgot the name, where it talked about team oneil doing a rally setup on a RS and I watched the youtube multiple times
- . Good insight given there as far as protection, suspension heights / adjustments used, and other noticeable changes, like oil / RDU temps, etc.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus RS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before I put the suspension on, the measurements from the ground to the fender well was roughly 26 1/4” in the front and 27” in the back. Since I ordered the suspension with extended struts I decided to go with the lowest height setting on the front suspension for now. That placed the vehicle at 27 1/4 in the front. The rear suspension needed to be raised quite a bit and I’m still in the process of fine tuning the rear suspension height.
After adding the suspension I did need to get an alignment. Below is the before and after alignment print out. You can see the toe needed adjustment afterward.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus RS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a side note. They said I needed the extended dampener adjustment cables for the rear. But the small ones provided worked just fine. Modifications to the front was needed so that the dampener adjustment and camber adjustment could be reached. See attached. Also if you use the car modes you will need to get a suspension damping canceling kit as it won’t go into track mode without it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Yeah I didn’t use the extensions with my YSR kit either. As for drive modes, just turn off the track mode suspension right after you change drive modes. No need for an expensive cancellation kit

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus RS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I didn’t use the extensions with my YSR kit either. As for drive modes, just turn off the track mode suspension right after you change drive modes. No need for an expensive cancellation kit
Great! Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
16 Posts
@jdogg Please keep updating us! I am really intrigued with this setup as I want a good setup I can use that has a lift while also being able to do some light rallying. This would be perfect for me. Thank you!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts