Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking on this forum since I bought my focus RS.
I spoke with a few companies that I considered good enough to build a head for the focus RS since I'm pretty knowledgeable about cylinder head porting.
They BOTH turned me down. ;(
So, I said F*** IT and built my own flowbench over the last year and purchased a new head and intake manifold for testing.
Last night i started measuring everything and did a bunch of flowtests today and did some port work.
By trade I work in the medical industry but by night I dream about science and making power!
I think I was born to do this but life leads you its own way sometimes.
Feel free to ask my any questions.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Used to play with these and a few other engines that Mobil 1 sponsored but unfortunately the company pissed me off so I left. Instead I know work on octane testing and fuels blending for someone else. Miss the old work and traveling with the teams but it’s nice to not be on the go so often.

Your setup for testing is rather neat for a home based setup. If your interested I would like to get the mountune intake manifold tested if you feel like you have sufficient time for it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
This is nice work for home bench. the velocity in the low lift scenarios are insanely important. very nice to see progressive velocity curve. Buddy as super-flow in garage, pretty familiar with them .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Used to play with these and a few other engines that Mobil 1 sponsored but unfortunately the company pissed me off so I left. Instead I know work on octane testing and fuels blending for someone else. Miss the old work and traveling with the teams but it’s nice to not be on the go so often.

Your setup for testing is rather neat for a home based setup. If your interested I would like to get the mountune intake manifold tested if you feel like you have sufficient time for it.

View attachment 335861
I'm willing to test one out. I don't have one so someone will need to let me borrow one for a weekend so I can make a fixture for it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is nice work for home bench. the velocity in the low lift scenarios are insanely important. very nice to see progressive velocity curve. Buddy as super-flow in garage, pretty familiar with them .
Thanks! I was trying to increase flow in all areas and not lose anything in the factory cam lift areas.
I had to stop laying back the short turn as I found the limit where I would lose low lift flow.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Thanks! I was trying to increase flow in all areas and not lose anything in the factory cam lift areas.
I had to stop laying back the short turn as I found the limit where I would lose low lift flow.
Delve into any Reynolds number data you could share?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Delve into any Reynolds number data you could share?
I'll be able to provide some of this soon. I plan to re-measure everything and map air speeds again since the port work was done. My plan was to cut bigger and bigger till I got the flow numbers I wanted, then start start adding epoxy to bring the air speeds back up to where i want them. I'm sure I can gain more on building up the short side radius.

This was all in 2 days of looking at them and porting. One night measuring and I ported them yesterday.

I have some data from the stock ports but nothing from the modified ports.
I work a regular job 9-5 so this is all done outside of work hours. I just happened to call out sick to work on this head yesterday. lol

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'll be able to provide some of this soon. I plan to re-measure everything and map air speeds again since the port work was done. My plan was to cut bigger and bigger till I got the flow numbers I wanted, then start start adding epoxy to bring the air speeds back up to where i want them. I'm sure I can gain more on building up the short side radius.

This was all in 2 days of looking at them and porting. One night measuring and I ported them yesterday.

I have some data from the stock ports but nothing from the modified ports.
I work a regular job 9-5 so this is all done outside of work hours. I just happened to call out sick to work on this head yesterday. lol

Subbed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BTW, airspeeds are a pain in the ass as I can't keep the pitot probe still enough to keep the same number over a period of time. I'm thinking of making a rigid pitot probe stand so I can just move it and average results over time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great info flying around, keep it coming!

Also, saw you posted on the FB groups as well. I think you'll find more technical appreciation and help around here

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Yes, I posted in several areas to get a wider audience of interest. Some places don't provide much.
I was keeping most of what I was doing to just myself and a few friends but was encouraged to share in the FB groups. I'm glad I did as I got contacted by like-minded individuals.

·
Registered
618 Posts
BTW, airspeeds are a pain in the ass as I can't keep the pitot probe still enough to keep the same number over a period of time. I'm thinking of making a rigid pitot probe stand so I can just move it and average results over time.
Built rocket engines and also RnD with them. Point Velocity Area sucks lol
I don’t miss balancing turbines or flowing forward or aft manifolds. Was insanely tedious and easily reach points of no return and diminishing. I’ll happily watch you do it. Lol. I’ll do composite and metal work. Now we need more techies and open our own subsection. Lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts