Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Lommel test track videos show some nice oversteer. Exciting and enticing for all of us.

But, being devil's advocate, the slot-car/tail out poise doesn't look like the fastest line around the track to me. Could they have been in Drift mode? Or maybe in Track or Normal mode but heavier than necessary on the throttle? Or maybe others think the lines looked ok?

I have several track days, a couple performance driving days and a couple autox events under my belt, so I wouldn't consider myself a racing expert by any means but also not a total noob.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The Lommel test track videos show some nice oversteer. Exciting and enticing for all of us.

But, being devil's advocate, the slot-car/tail out poise doesn't look like the fastest line around the track to me. Could they have been in Drift mode? Or maybe in Track or Normal mode but heavier than necessary on the throttle? Or maybe others think the lines looked ok?

I have several track days, a couple performance driving days and a couple autox events under my belt, so I wouldn't consider myself a racing expert by any means but also not a total noob.

Thoughts?
Same as you, I am by no means an expert racer, but this is how I understand it:

Sideways is NEVER the fastest way around a turn. You drift for three reasons.
1. It is a blind turn and you have no idea how tight it is. Come in hot and plan to kick the back end out so that you can scrub exactly as much speed as you need to.
2. Fun. Because drifting can be fun.
3. See 1, but unintentional. You did something stupid.

I would assume that videos of the RS drifting are either promo stuff to show off how fun the car is, someone getting used to a track or the car, or being a little too enthusiastic on the throttle.

Disclaimer: I have not seen the aforementioned videos. Link?

-edit-

Something something loose terrain. I'd lump that under #1, but I am not a rally racer.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'd say drift considering the tail slides out quite a bit and during the wheel close-up clip you can kinda make out the overdriving being sent to it by the RDU. Track mode tones down the tail hanging abilities in favor of powering the car quickly around curves. Either way the over steer looks to be done with a simple twirl of the steering wheel and the car looks to be in complete control as it's sliding practically sideways around the curves!

Sign me up!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm sure this is just for marketing purposes. Considering the fact that Ken Block has been such a big promotional tool for them it makes sense that they would highlight the cars ability to oversteer. If you watch the 7th episode of the making of an icon (or whatever it's called) you will see Raj say "Track mode is maybe not as fun as drift mode, but it's what you need on a track (paraphrasing)". So I think what you're seeing is the driver inducing oversteer to show how fun the car is.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
They oversteer after the apex to look good and show off the drive mode. Time the oversteer better in the apex and it's faster than track mode. Problem is you destroy your tire life doing this.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I also think the purpose was to show the lack of under-steer. That has been a big point made with the RS and AWD hot hatches. They may have been in track mode and it could of demonstrated that when you do reach the limit of grip the rear is what goes and you have to adjust it to get it back inline. They could of been emphasizing the fact the driver is still in control of the vehicle and although AWD the tires will still give and as a driver you need to control this. Drift mode is made to make drifting easy, Track made is set up for the fastest lap times but that doesn't mean the driver does not have to adjust their driving for grip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
Crooked Letta
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing