Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a reason no one uses the livernois tune?? On paper seems to make the most power and torque on a stock car?? Is it because it's not on an accessport and just for stock cars? Just trying to weigh out what tune is best. Was looking hard at tune+, but I'm not doing any mods other than a down pipe and tune on my car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
While I trust their tuning expertise - Their hardware means you have no other choices. Granted - They finally just recently updated their hardware with a device that gives you about the same amount of features as an accessport. That being said, you're still just limited to Livernois tunes.

I think it's a matter of what you want at the end of the day.

If Livernois had offered this new tuner when I bought my accessport I probably would have went with them instead TBH. I've used them on all my GM vehicles and their tunes have always been rock solid.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I've noticed the closer people are to them, the more likely they are to use them. A few peeps who live in Michigan run them IIRC.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the livernois tune and love it. They support a good number of upgrades too. Since they are flash tunes, you are limited to upgrades that they have tested out personally, but they have tested out a good number of then. I reccomend them.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I would go elsewhere. Just because they make the most power doesn't mean they're the best. It honestly is concerning they are making more power than others since that means leaner, more boost, more timing, etc.

I rode in a local ST that was tuned by them and it pulled hard. Definitely faster than my FreekTune, but made sense when I saw the little K03 was pushing 24-25psi. Turbo ended up blowing.

I would stick with Mountune, Tune+, FSWerks, FreekTune.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would go elsewhere. Just because they make the most power doesn't mean they're the best. It honestly is concerning they are making more power than others since that means leaner, more boost, more timing, etc.

I rode in a local ST that was tuned by them and it pulled hard. Definitely faster than my FreekTune, but made sense when I saw the little K03 was pushing 24-25psi. Turbo ended up blowing.

They are making about the same power as any other tuner out there. 340 WHP / 420 WTQ is about what any other decent tuner with 93 octane is making.

They are routinely contracted out by both GM and Ford for engine testing/development BTW. They have a high level of insight into these platforms.

·
Registered
25 Posts
While I would still totally recommend them due to their customer service, insight, and most importantly their tune are all on point. I feel like I should have mentioned a few negatives along with it. When you get a tune through them, you get free updated tunes for life, but since they use flash tunes, that means that you have to use parts that they have already tuned for. You can not get a tune that includes flat-foot shifting, and you can't get a tune that gives you a shortcut to launch control. If either of those things are important to you, just know that they are not options you can get through livernois.

As far as the aforementioned reliability of their tunes, they are very reliable and reputable. I have never heard of a single person having any sort of reliability issue with any of their tunes. I imagine that people telling you not to get them from a reliability standpoint are just upset that the posted numbers from this tune is higher than what they paid for. Don't take my word for it, though. Go head and google around on other Ford based forums and see if you can find anything negative resulting from one of their tunes. That is what I did before deciding to go with them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input...this car is just getting catless dp and tune. I have my other car for ridiculous speed, 91 galant vr4 w/ 550hp. So I'll prob go with livernois for my situation.

·
Registered
721 Posts
They are making about the same power as any other tuner out there. 340 WHP / 420 WTQ is about what any other decent tuner with 93 octane is making.

They are routinely contracted out by both GM and Ford for engine testing/development BTW. They have a high level of insight into these platforms.
Understood, just going off my first hand experience with them on the ST and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. On V8 platforms, they are the one to go to. I am not pleased with their work on the EcoBoost (specifically the ST).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've used them for LS engine builds, LS tuning, ST tuning, and now my RS. They are local to me, so I get to see a lot of the stuff they are working on in person. If they were blowing up engines regularly, they'd have a bad local rep, and be out of business. For me, one blown turbo isn't enough to say their tuning is bad. I've seen stock 2.0T turbos fail before...and with the way I see these cars get driven, it's not a surprise. What would be alarming, is if it were a regular occurrence, or even semi regular.

They don't like to do a lot of "custom" stuff, since they are already so busy with what they have. If you're looking to break new records and try unproven combos, I'd look elsewhere. If you're sticking to their "approved" mods, and want a modest bump in power, they're a good choice. My otherwise stock ST had about 30k miles on their 93 octane tune (latest revision)...never blew the turbo and never saw boost over 21-22psi in the summer heat. My RS doesn't have many miles, but it ran well all last summer on their 93 tune (latest revision). They are more well known for other Ecoboost platform tuning...SHO, F150, Fusion, Edge, Mustang, Explorer. The nice thing is, if you change platforms, you can deprogram your RS and move your tuner to another vehicle you own, for free. Upgrading from my ST to my RS cost me nothing. If I sell my RS for say, an Edge ST, I can move it for free again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've used them for LS engine builds, LS tuning, ST tuning, and now my RS. They are local to me, so I get to see a lot of the stuff they are working on in person. If they were blowing up engines regularly, they'd have a bad local rep, and be out of business. For me, one blown turbo isn't enough to say their tuning is bad. I've seen stock 2.0T turbos fail before...and with the way I see these cars get driven, it's not a surprise. What would be alarming, is if it were a regular occurrence, or even semi regular.

They don't like to do a lot of "custom" stuff, since they are already so busy with what they have. If you're looking to break new records and try unproven combos, I'd look elsewhere. If you're sticking to their "approved" mods, and want a modest bump in power, they're a good choice. My otherwise stock ST had about 30k miles on their 93 octane tune (latest revision)...never blew the turbo and never saw boost over 21-22psi in the summer heat. My RS doesn't have many miles, but it ran well all last summer on their 93 tune (latest revision). They are more well known for other Ecoboost platform tuning...SHO, F150, Fusion, Edge, Mustang, Explorer. The nice thing is, if you change platforms, you can deprogram your RS and move your tuner to another vehicle you own, for free. Upgrading from my ST to my RS cost me nothing. If I sell my RS for say, an Edge ST, I can move it for free again.
Yeah - While their hardware is limited to their own tuning that's one of the best aspects. It even includes programming for the TCM/Automatic even if the platform you came from didn't have it.

And their new hardware is such a huge upgrade. The prior generation MyCal was pretty oldschool, and not having that datalogging functionality made it a hard sell if the Accessport was available on the platform.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I use them on all my ecoboost. They do a lot of does performance stuff. They have the most rock solid tunes I’ve ever used. I think if you are not doing a crazy big build, say downpipe, tune and e30 they are what I would use.
I’ve got 200,000 of tunes miles on my truck by them and 48,000 on my edge 2.0 running e30 the whole time. Can’t go wrong with them.
They did my full long block big turbo on my rs. They actually have a resident ford performance rs that lives at the shop. So they have it down. Also they are the only ones I see dyno in awd. So they do have a bit more power

·
Registered
803 Posts
I get wanting to data log but really if the tune is done right the first time you shouldn’t need to monitor it. As long as you are not on the ragged edge. I run mine hard and I’ve never had an issue. Well other than needed tires often.

·
Registered
1 Posts

So you would go with any time that wasn't as good? Your wisdom baffles the mind, or maybe it isn't wisdom. Also anyone who spends $$$ on a engine for a tune before spending $$$ on maintenance isn't mechanically inclined. You need some stripes and stickers and one of those goofy coffee can exhaust, maybe even some 24's to make sure your car will never hook up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have used them since my 2014 SHO that was a rocket; Now with the 2017 RS I have always on launch control with 4300 rpm launch and could not be happier. The second best thing I have done is the DSC module and OMG that is just as amazing in a different way.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have used them since my 2014 SHO that was a rocket; Now with the 2017 RS I have always on launch control with 4300 rpm launch and could not be happier. The second best thing I have done is the DSC module and OMG that is just as amazing in a different way.
Curious, how did you like the tuned SHO? my wife just picked up a ‘19 flex ecoboost and I can see the potential in the motor. Would be nice to up the boost and get a trans tune as it’s a bit of a slug for shifting

·
Registered
21 Posts
Curious, how did you like the tuned SHO? my wife just picked up a ‘19 flex ecoboost and I can see the potential in the motor. Would be nice to up the boost and get a trans tune as it’s a bit of a slug for shifting
I loved it, with the tune, downpipes and the 3 bar map sensor it would run high 12's all day and shift fast and hard. The tune also remaps shift pressures ect.. Would love to still have it but it was totaled while parked...

Reactions: Melvin Jarboe

·
Registered
117 Posts
Livernois tune here after trying to work with Stratified which was easily the WORST customer service ever. Great tune, decent support and nothing to complain about. I would recommend them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have Livernois tune with no issues. And yes they do a ton of work with Ford testing Ecoboost engines which was a plus for me. Plus being local.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts