Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have there been any real world reviews on this setup? Of course, keeping the OEM 2-mode setting but re-valved by KW on adjustable springs sounds mighty interesting.

·
Super Moderator
15,523 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Got an email back from Litchfield, still waiting on delivery from KW, they are hoping to receive them later this month. Sounds like they don't have a distributor in North America (they definitely don't have one in Canada) so the kit will need to be ordered from them in the UK. Email was worded interestingly though, he said their version of the kit would only be available through them...so I'm thinking that KW will be releasing a similar kit with different spring rates and/or damper valving down the line as well. I could be reading too much into it, I suppose we'll see.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm extremely interested to see how these turn out. I live in the city, with terrible roads. My spine needs a break. If I can get a moderate drop while retaining the dual mode functionality of the stock dampers all while providing better ride quality, that's a huge win in my book. Worth the $$$ for sure.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm not in a place where I'm ready to pull the trigger yet, but for anyone who IS, I just got this email from the owner @ Litchfield:

Hi,

Thank you for expressing your interest in our Focus RS KW Coilover suspension kit and your subsequent patience with our release date.

We know you will be thrilled with the significantly improved ride and handling changes from this fantastic new kit.

The delay in the release was due to KW initialising the mass-production of the internal components, a difficult job that has now been completed. Litchfield have been promised the first batch of 30 suspension kits by the middle-to-end of August. Unfortunately, because of the complexity of the suspension internals and ongoing price increases from Europe, the suspension kit will be more expensive than currently and initially advertised.

However as we had offered the package to you at £1,895+vat we will honour this price for the first 10 sets, followed by a price increase to £1,995+vat for the next 10, before eventually increasing to the KW recommend retail price of £2,083+vat. As you have expressed an interest in the suspension kit, we wanted to give you the chance to confirm your order before we promote it further from Wednesday this week.

If you would like to go ahead with the order, please could you send your vehicle registration number and full contact information so we can arrange for an invoice to be emailed to you. We will require a £500 deposit which can be paid over the phone by card or via bank transfer (details at the top of the invoice).

Thank you once again for your support and we look forward to transforming your RS!

Wanted to share with you guys if anyone wants to hop on the early-bird pricing and maybe provide some feedback to the community.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
The pluses over the KW Variant 3: Two mode selection from inside the car.

Minuses: Can no longer switch between suspension modes from inside the car, lose the ability to tune bounce compression and rebound to your preference on the dampers, plus they are a bit more expensive right now and going up quickly to $2,713 (+VAT if any for the US market) & shipping.

Also their 2-mode tuning is an unknown right now. I'm sure it's good, but if I can tune both compression and rebound on shocks/struts, I can pretty quickly get it great then go for perfect given the conditions.

One question on the KW Variant 3's: Is the rebound know easy to reach with the shock/strut installed? That could be a deal-maker/breaker.

·
Registered
185 Posts
One question on the KW Variant 3's: Is the rebound know easy to reach with the shock/strut installed? That could be a deal-maker/breaker.
Yeah, its on the top of the damper on the V3's. Fairly easy to get to both front and back. Compression knobs on the bottom are a pain in the ass to get to though.

My biggest concern with the Lichfields is what if the new 'Normal' is too soft/hard or 'Track' is too soft/hard? What then? What constitutes 'comfortable' or 'stiff' is a bit different for everyone.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Are these still based on the KW variant 2's? That is, do the still have adjustable rebound damping at the top of the struts with fixed compression damping?
Or is both compression and rebound damping only controlled by the in car stalk switch? That is only 2 fixed settings?

As with most aftermarket parts for the RS iam confused/unclear as to what is actually being offered here!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
The pluses over the KW Variant 3: Two mode selection from inside the car.

Minuses: Can no longer switch between suspension modes from inside the car, lose the ability to tune bounce compression and rebound to your preference on the dampers, plus they are a bit more expensive right now and going up quickly to $2,713 (+VAT if any for the US market) & shipping.

Also their 2-mode tuning is an unknown right now. I'm sure it's good, but if I can tune both compression and rebound on shocks/struts, I can pretty quickly get it great then go for perfect given the conditions.

Jim, can you unpack that post a little for those of us who are not so well versed in suspension components? The first sentence seems to contradict the second....forgive my ignorance.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Jim, can you unpack that post a little for those of us who are not so well versed in suspension components? The first sentence seems to contradict the second....forgive my ignorance.
Yes, after re-reading I sort of butchered that :) :

The pluses for the Litchfield/KW coilover package, as compared to the KW Variant 3 dual-adjustable coilovers (https://www.focusrsshop.com/focus-rs-coilovers/446-kw-variant-3-inox-coilovers.html): Two mode selection from inside the car - 100% compatible with the RS Drive & Suspension Modes.

The pluses for the KW Variant 3 package: Fully adjustable rebound and compression, independent of each other. Also they include the electronics to make the Drive Modes work and the Suspension Mode switch think it is working and not throw a code.

Minuses of the KW Variant 3's: Can no longer switch between suspension modes from inside the car.

Minuses of the Litchfield/KW package: Lose the ability to tune bounce compression and rebound to your preference on the dampers, plus they are a bit more expensive right now and going up quickly to $2,713 (+VAT if any for the US market) & shipping.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is basically a KW DDC kit ... Similar to kits for the golf r, bmws, etc.

1 - 20 of 238 Posts