Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had a similar thread to this over on the FocusST.org. A checklist of common problems that slipped by PDI. I'm hoping we can build a list similar to this so that Forum members can check for known issues when taking delivery.

ST thread: Quality Control/Production Issue Checklist Upon Delivery

So if you guys see an issue with your car from the factory, or spot something on the forum that should probably go in this list, post it here and I'll add it to the list. Please also tag / mention me in the post (@ Xicutioner, with no space) so that I get a notification to check the thread. For whatever reason this thread doesn't seem to show up in my feed or perhaps I just missed it.

Common Issues:
Common issues that appear to have been addressed by Ford?
Less common Issues:
One off or rare issues:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hah! I was just wondering if we had a thread like this... And here it is!

Couple of things I've noticed:

*Carefully* check the paint. Mine was in a darkish room when I picked it up, and I didn't stop outside with it to check out the paint. Before it had 200 miles on it I finally noticed two tiny little chips that I'm fairly certain didn't happen on my watch (I've been staying back from other cars and watching for impacts until I get a clear bra on it), but there's no way to prove that now that I've driven it home and around town. If I had noticed before I left the dealer, they would be responsible for repairing it.

Side note on that: if you plan to do a clear bra, don't wait like I did! Do it the same day you pick it up if possible!

Item #2, and this has happened with both my wife's new car and my own, check the tire pressures. Apparently during shipping or something they overinflate the tires to 50+ PSI. The best I can figure is that it's to prevent flat spots in the tires, but you run the risk of a blowout driving with a tire that overinflated if you hit a big bump. I'm not sure what the nominal tire pressure is on the Super Sports, but I'm pretty sure it's not over 50 PSI!

On my wife's Forester it's 34-35, and all 4 tires were inflated to 49-51 PSI.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hah! I was just wondering if we had a thread like this... And here it is!

Couple of things I've noticed:

Item #2, and this has happened with both my wife's new car and my own, check the tire pressures. Apparently during shipping or something they overinflate the tires to 50+ PSI. The best I can figure is that it's to prevent flat spots in the tires, but you run the risk of a blowout driving with a tire that overinflated if you hit a big bump. I'm not sure what the nominal tire pressure is on the Super Sports, but I'm pretty sure it's not over 50 PSI!

On my wife's Forester it's 34-35, and all 4 tires were inflated to 49-51 PSI.
I found this one out when I bought a 93 Lightning new. I had it a few days and it was raining on the way home from work. I hit a small patch of standing water and almost spun out of control. Some of the tires were from under inflated to very over inflated.

·
Registered
438 Posts
really? that seems pretty high i was expecting mid 30s.. and low 30s for some more grip on the track
The car is heavy and has small tyres. They needed the higher pressures.

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/18-focus-rs-wheels-tires/3390-michelin-s-super-sport-tire-design-bespoke-rs.html

Quote from article linked in that thread:

belt

The car needs high pressures because of its weight : 2.8 bars on the front, 2.6 bars on the rear (2.4 bars front and rear for track use). It’s very high for sport tire but we didn’t have any other choice: the car is heavy, and the tires are “small”... I personally would have preferred working with (for example) a 245 in place of 235 to reduce pressure, but the RS doesn’t have enough space for those.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Got mine today and had signed all of the paperwork and ready to go when I decided to check the car out and sure enough the front spring spacer blocks were still there. Everyone please make sure to check this before taking delivery. Dealers are unaware of this issue.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Got mine today and had signed all of the paperwork and ready to go when I decided to check the car out and sure enough the front spring spacer blocks were still there. Everyone please make sure to check this before taking delivery. Dealers are unaware of this issue.
I actually want to keep mine after removal. Don't ask.

·
Registered
287 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
You should add this to the list,
the damage to the trunk paint from the rear license plate being installed incorrectly. there was a recent thread on the topic.

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/27-focus-rs-guides/3925-bit-issue-north-american-license-plates-fors.html
I used some of the magnets from my old race numbers that I cut up to put behind screws for now. I plan to go to fasten all next week and see if they have a larger head, shorter length screw I can use. This was the biggest let down so far, the US plate adapter.

Also, suggest checking the routing of the washer hose on the right side of the hood, mine was going into a tight pinch on the inner side of the hinge, swung it to the outer side and it's not appearing to pinch. is everyone's held to the hood hinge with black tape around what looks like it should be the clip?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Interestingly, when I got the call yesterday that my RS was in, my dealer and I went over what to do, he specifically said his instructions to his guy was no washing detailing during PDI AND to make sure the spacers were removed. He also said as soon as the PDI was done not to move it. They are to bring him the key FOB and he will put the gas in it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Interestingly, when I got the call yesterday that my RS was in, my dealer and I went over what to do, he specifically said his instructions to his guy was no washing detailing during PDI AND to make sure the spacers were removed. He also said as soon as the PDI was done not to move it. They are to bring him the key FOB and he will put the gas in it.

Be careful with the gas thing. Dealers almost always put regular even when the car calls for performance gas.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wait what? I'm taking delivery of mine next Saturday. Is this something I should worry about?
Two things

Most dealers will offer you a full tank of gas, but they almost always put cheap regular (87 or lower) from what I am told.

As an example just a few months back I test drove a 16CamaroSS. Sales guy asked if we could stop to put gas in and had me drive to an Arco and I watched with disgust as he put in ARCO/87 (shudders)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got to see my RS yesterday, shortly after it rolled off the truck. Still in all the shipping plastics and such, the trip computer said zero miles to empty. My salesman hooked me up with the service manager, who rode shotgun while we went to the local station to fill it up...

He swiped the card and told me to do the honors :) 13.24 gallons of 93 octane!

It'll be ready later today, but I won't be able to get to it till tomorrow morning, the wait just may kill me :(

1 - 20 of 109 Posts