Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have problems funding good aftermarket wheels for the RS I just placed an order for (in Sweden). I am looking for 19" x 8" (possibly 19" x 8,5"), ET around the standard 50 mm, black (or dark grey), looks similar to forged option wheel, and light weight (preferably a forged wheel). And if possibly, without the price tag associated with brands like OZ. I found the Advanty Hybris (Tirerack has it) which looks very much like the forged wheel Ford offers, but that is unfortunately not offered here in Europe.

Can you list all the wheels you know fit?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have problems funding good aftermarket wheels for the RS I just placed an order for (in Sweden). I am looking for 19" x 8" (possibly 19" x 8,5"), ET around the standard 50 mm, black (or dark grey), looks similar to forged option wheel, and light weight (preferably a forged wheel). And if possibly, without the price tag associated with brands like OZ. I found the Advanty Hybris (Tirerack has it) which looks very much like the forged wheel Ford offers, but that is unfortunately not offered here in Europe.

So TireRack is a good stop for these things (at least in the US). They don't seem to offer look-ups for the RS yet, probably because they don't have the data themselves yet. I'd say give it a few months as information becomes available

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

Do you like the look of this wheel?

Nurburgring Alloy Wheels by TSW

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yep, TSW's wheels are very nice. High quality too. A bit pricy (I guess...). BBS-style design.
They're about $180 more for a set of 4.

Some numbers I've been considering...

Stock Focus ST 18" wheel weight: ~25 lbs (11.3 kg)
TSW Nurburgring 18": 18.6 lbs (8.43 kg)

Stock Focus RS 19": ???
Forged RS 19": ??? - 2 lbs (~1 kg)?
TSW Nurburgring 19": 20.55 lbs (9.32kg)

According to TireRack the PSS' are about 23 lbs for 18" or 19". It's kind of tempting to skip the forged wheel option, down size to the 18 lb Nurburgrings, and get a little more sidewall.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just confirmed my order and removed the forged wheel and the MPSC2 option. Sinply because I don't think they're worth the premium (about USD 2.000 for both options here in Sweden, on top of standard 19" wheel and MPSS tires). I use the money to buy better/lighter aftermarket wheels. I lean towards 19" though (vanity....). As I live in cold country I can use the standard 19" wheel for my winter tires so that wheel become used. I am trackday enthusiast so I will buy MPSC2 as well (have them now on my Renault Megane RS265 and they work fine also on the street).

The MK2 RS OEM wheel is close to 30 lbs (see Tirerack) so I reckon that also the forged wheel is quite heavy, I guess definitely above 25 lbs. So some serious weight savings possible with premium aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why not just order the OE forged wheels with your car?
Too heavy. And too costly given that weight. I also need 2 sets of wheels (winter tires) so I would need an extra set no matter what. Now I use the OEM wheel for winter tires and go for a serious (=light) wheel for my Cup 2 tires.

·
Registered
263 Posts

According to TireRack the PSS' are about 23 lbs for 18" or 19". It's kind of tempting to skip the forged wheel option, down size to the 18 lb Nurburgrings, and get a little more sidewall.
I am right there with your thinking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

More numbers:

Focus RS Mk2 19" wheel: 27,0 lbs

235/35-19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire: 23 lbs

235/35-19 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tire: 22 lbs

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I will be very surprised, considering all the performance "perfection" Raj and the team have striven for, if Ford puts out a forged wheel that weighs more than 24 lbs. I'm hoping for 20-21 though

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I will be very surprised, considering all the performance "perfection" Raj and the team have striven for, if Ford puts out a forged wheel that weighs more than 24 lbs. I'm hoping for 20-21 though
I don't know, that sounds pretty optimistic. In either case you could step down to an 18" rim and save some weight. Not to mention cost on tires, tire repairs, and chiropractor visits. Did you hear the recommended tire pressure is 46 PSI?

I'm concerned that Ford hasn't said what the actual weight is one either wheel. They said what the weight difference is so obviously they know and could have released that info but they chose not to...

I have the forged wheels option checked for my car right now, but I'm considering removing it and switching to 18". My situation is a bit different though. I have a brand new set of 18" PSS in my garage that I just mounted on my ST (then subsequently dismounted to put on my winter set). So it would make sense for me to sell the stock set from the RS and buy a set of TSWs since I already have the tires. I'm thinking I could get at least a $1000 for the stock 19" rims and PSS'.

If Ford would release the wheel weight it would make deciding a bit easier.

·
Registered
262 Posts
For those that will be tracking their RS and are looking for every ounce of performance, it sounds like going with aftermarket rims will be a more competitive choice.

For me personally, the potential for an extra few pounds on each wheel is well worth the 'cost' in order to have a unique rim designed specifically for the RS.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Why not just order the OE forged wheels with your car?
I don't like the way they look, and I know I'll be changing them, so I'd prefer a cheaper rim collect dust in the shed. Besides the stock rims look better and I'm considering a smaller wheel for tire cost considerations as this will be a daily driver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts