Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Couple nights ago I had something very strange happen. I went to leave work and I felt like something sizeable was stuck on my passenger front tire. Clunk, clunk. Stopped immediately and checked, nothing. Pulled around the block and back into my parking lot, it stopped. Now I'm getting a lite rub/grind that's cyclical or speed relative but only noticable over 50 ish.

My thought is wheel bearing obviously but it doesn't seem to be any better or worse while moving the car back and forth (sideways) or taking turns. No difference in gear or not, clutch in or out, or brakes on or off. I have taken a few off ramps over 70 and the sound does not increase when turning which has me confused.

'18 w/ 17k (not shipping blocks lol)

Thoughts???

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Take out the wheel and check the tires again, check the brake and axle.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Will do. I think that would be a constant drag sound instead of cyclical. Thanks.
I've had the rear brakes leave a patch of surface rust on my rear rotors after washing and leaving it overnight. Made a similar cyclical noise as you're describing but it went away after a few brake cycles. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
You would be amazed at the noise a damaged/internally failed tyre can make. Not saying thats the case here but first thing I do is jack the suspect wheel and check the tyre for out of round or dimensional defects and if thats ok use a spare and swap out one wheel at a time and see if the noise ceases. I've planned a wheel bearing replacement more than once and found it to be the tyre.

Ciao

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
+1 for a bad tire. I've had tires that were only loud when on the front of a vehicle vs the back. If you don't have a spare or winter tire try rotating the tires and see if the sound moves

·
Premium Member
2016 RS
1,091 Posts
This sounds very similar to what happened to my RS at just under 21k miles and almost a year old (June 2017). Except for your initial description of a clunk, clunk mine sounded exactly the same. Speed dependent, over 45 mph, didn't matter what gear, clutch in clutch out, a cyclical rubbing or light grinding sound that would only change with road speed.

It slowly got louder for me so I took it in to my dealer. The mechanic there who does all the work on my car that I don't do myself went for a ride with me and noticed it right away. He put it up on a lift when we got back to the dealer with someone inside the car to 'drive' it while it was in the air. He grabbed his stethoscope so he could touch various parts of the drive train to isolate the source. But he never needed to do that. Once the driver got above 45 mph it was obvious the noise was coming from the PTU. He brought me out into the shop so I could listen and there was no doubt as to the source. They ordered a new one, swapped it out and noise gone. I'm at 63k miles now and have never had another issue with this. They don't open up the failed PTU to see what happened of course. Ford usually calls warranty replaced parts like this back so they can determine the failure.

I posted about this here and was surprised that no one else had experienced this.

New PTU issue - Grinding noise

Of course I'm not positive this is your issue but the symptoms are awfully similar. Something to check anyway.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You would be amazed at the noise a damaged/internally failed tyre can make. Not saying thats the case here but first thing I do is jack the suspect wheel and check the tyre for out of round or dimensional defects and if thats ok use a spare and swap out one wheel at a time and see if the noise ceases. I've planned a wheel bearing replacement more than once and found it to be the tyre.

Ciao
I agree, especially after having something stuck in a tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts