Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been scratching my head about this, and now that it's getting darker I am once again reminded of it. Is there any way to make the cut-off of the headlights not so dramatic? I'd be OK with even limiting the brightness or changing out the bulbs so it's not murdering oncoming cars because imo the lights are more than bright enough as-is. I drive a lot of hilly roads in CT, VT, NY areas, and it freaks me the hell out how when you are driving down-hill at night without high-beams - as in for example passing someone or having oncoming traffic - the up-hill ahead is literally pitch-black. I have no idea what the uphill looks like (a deer?) until I am actually going up-hill.

The old normal (what do you call those?) light bulbs weren't as bright, but they dispersed a lot, so you had some light going in every direction and lighting up surroundings decently well. The RS headlights are super-nice when looking down, but I find the complete darkness above the cut-off rather unnerving at times.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I raised my low beams a tiny bit. It greatly helped with the situation you're talking about

I figured with my car being lowered a touch, it wouldn't hurt to raise.

I n=-was very careful and only lifted a small amount

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I added LED fogs and due to the emitter layout and reflector now get a TON of dispersed light, mostly to the sides and down. Much more so than the stock fog bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Yeah, but and an owner of one of those said old cars with the wide dispersion?

My RS's fogs are brighter than my TA's high beams. My TA's headlights aren't there to light my way, they are there to let you know I'm on the road.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Get a generic 50" LED lightbar from your favorite chinese manufacturer and mount it on the roof...j/k LOL

Could always opt for "rally car" style lighting options that were discussed here (w/ the caveat that most options are not legal for road usage / would need to quickly switch them on/off for oncoming vehicles since the majority of them would be considered "off-road" lighting):

https://www.focusrs.org/forum/32-focus-rs-lighting/45585-anyone-running-light-bar.html

Switching to an older style halogen bulb light setup might help a *little* with the uphill light pattern that you desire but you may just have to settle for adjusting your driving habits (ie - reducing speed on declines/inclines) in the interim due to the OEM light cutoff/pattern.

YMMV

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I can't stand those light bars.

As for lighting, can't do it. Pop-up headlights mean the bucket to mount them in is very shallow. LEDs are basically my only option. And I would need one of the 5x7 replacement LED's that are actually good. Don't feel like spending the money on that right now.

Also, all of those H4 conversion housing are **** frankly with horrible design made in China. Not worth the money.

There are some that make LED 5x7 that are actually GOOD, and I'll be buying those eventually. But thats a few hundred invested for night time driving which most of the time the street lights provide plenty of illumination.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the term for the old lights is a reflector housing fyi.
Ah, it was at the tip of my tongue, but my head wasn't doing its thing. Right!

I raised my low beams a tiny bit. It greatly helped with the situation you're talking about

I figured with my car being lowered a touch, it wouldn't hurt to raise.

I n=-was very careful and only lifted a small amount
I wonder if I could raise mine a hair. Though I find that when I am following my SO, my low-beams are almost at the top of her trunk lid (coupe), so raising it much more might blind people in front of me.

I added LED fogs and due to the emitter layout and reflector now get a TON of dispersed light, mostly to the sides and down. Much more so than the stock fog bulbs.
Ah, I am thinking in the up direction. I don't need the full power of headlights going up, but some light beyond pitch black would be nice.

OP is right...thought I was out running my lights at first.....lmmfao
Yeah! It's especially apparent when you get a hill going down followed by an immediate hill going up with little flat area at the bottom. It looks like you are driving into a wall because there's nothing visible above the headlight cut-off.

Yeah, but and an owner of one of those said old cars with the wide dispersion?

My RS's fogs are brighter than my TA's high beams. My TA's headlights aren't there to light my way, they are there to let you know I'm on the road.
Well, true, some old headlights were pretty bad or weak. I had a mid-00s Civic before which had had reflector housing, and the headlights were certainly not as bright as the RS. Those headlights however managed to illuminate more of the surrounding space ahead by the nature of the headlight technology without such a sharp cut-off.

Switching to an older style halogen bulb light setup might help a *little* with the uphill light pattern that you desire but you may just have to settle for adjusting your driving habits (ie - reducing speed on declines/inclines) in the interim due to the OEM light cutoff/pattern.

YMMV
Yeah, I've adjusted to it well enough in the 2 years. It's something I'd ideally try to improve anyway though. Stupid-ass deer everywhere!

I feel like with the headlights we have, that top shade should have a semi-opaque part that lets *some* light to go up by about 30 degrees. It wouldn't be bright enough to blind the drivers ahead, while at the same time giving some visibility at night for twisty up/down-hill roads that the North East is covered in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts