Ford Focus RS Forum banner
341 - 360 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Both those tires (215/65r16 and 225/75r15) are smaller in diameter than a 255/60r18(It's around ~30inches). I don't want to go to a smaller brake. I want more sidewall wall keeping the current rim and brakes. I am actually shocked no one seems to have has done this. Hoping to see want RDC says in a months or so. Hoping that if that kit gives 3 inches of lift, a tire that gives 2 more inches of sidewall, adds to 5 inches overall. If I had the place to do so I would get a cheap used tire to see how the size clears front and back.

Other thing that is really annoying me is the power seats in my 2018. My 2017s were manual and they were noticeably lower to me. I don't see any easy solutions for that either. I think the manual seats were more comfortable for me in the thigh as the bolsters push on me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had a real nightmare ride on this. I've lifted it 5cm with spacers and running 17 inch rims. Tried to fit pirelli Scorpio atrs 225 60 17 but they foul and the increased diameter is illegal in the Australian Capital Territory so did not continue. This is the largest tyre option but maybe not two inches. I posted on this so look it up for details. Tyre size calculators will give difference.

Rally tires need 15 inch rims which don't fit over brakes. I'd go 17 inch rims but make sure they clear brakes. Adjust profile but ensure it clears under full lock and full travel. Good luck

·
Registered
740 Posts
Both those tires (215/65r16 and 225/75r15) are smaller in diameter than a 255/60r18(It's around ~30inches). I don't want to go to a smaller brake. I want more sidewall wall keeping the current rim and brakes. I am actually shocked no one seems to have has done this. Hoping to see want RDC says in a months or so. Hoping that if that kit gives 3 inches of lift, a tire that gives 2 more inches of sidewall, adds to 5 inches overall. If I had the place to do so I would get a cheap used tire to see how the size clears front and back.

Other thing that is really annoying me is the power seats in my 2018. My 2017s were manual and they were noticeably lower to me. I don't see any easy solutions for that either. I think the manual seats were more comfortable for me in the thigh as the bolsters push on me.
You're only thinking about vertical clearance but not horizontal.

Wheel well is about 750 mm across. If you want 255/60/18 that's about 763 mm across. Not gonna fit, and you definitely don't have 15 mm to play with.

255 mm * 0.6 * 2 + 457 mm = 763 > 750

·
Registered
42 Posts
You're only thinking about vertical clearance but not horizontal.

Wheel well is about 750 mm across. If you want 255/60/18 that's about 763 mm across. Not gonna fit, and you definitely don't have 15 mm to play with.

255 mm * 0.6 * 2 + 457 mm = 763 > 750
Thanks. That's where I said 30 inches up above. If you read more I said I'm also willing to roll fenders provided clearance inside can be achieved.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
@Engage youre not listening I think. I ran 27” tires and horizontally they were maxed out, even on a lifted suspension and cut up fender liners/some hammer clearance. You WILL hit your bumper with turns and you WILL have to really start cutting it up.

if you think you can run bigger tires then go ahead, but bring a few extra sawsall blades

·
Registered
42 Posts
@Engage youre not listening I think. I ran 27” tires and horizontally they were maxed out, even on a lifted suspension and cut up fender liners.

if you think you can run bigger tires then go ahead, but bring a few extra sawsall blades
[/QU
@Engage youre not listening I think. I ran 27” tires and horizontally they were maxed out, even on a lifted suspension and cut up fender liners/some hammer clearance. You WILL hit your bumper with turns and you WILL have to really start cutting it up.

When I ask “what is the largest tire you can fit?”
And you respond with “well I did x and so and so did y.”

That is not the same as “I put these tires on and they are at the physical limit of the car even if you cut fenders and liners”

I am okay at reading and never saa reply stating the latter.

Do I really need all that bumper? Is that all that’s in the way?

I’m hesitant to share what I want to do to this car.

·
Registered
740 Posts
We're working with the info you offered. You said you're willing to roll fenders, but that's universally understood as slightly widening the arch of the fender to allow you to tuck a wheel. There's an assumption the body is kept stock, so @320icar telling you he fitted 27" and it fouled is very useful information.. And we're telling you the wheel well itself is only 29.5" so no way you're fitting any of the series of tires you listed. I can tell you now the stock wheel diameter has little clearance to the liner - I'm on stock wheels with a 25mm spacer, and it's fouling the liner.

But since you're willing to cut your bumper AND your fender:

The way that a circle works is that it takes up the same amount of space in all directions. So you can absolutely trim the bumper, but you would also have to trim the FENDER itself the same amount on the other side. Then you're better off making a new liner from HDPE sheets than messing with the factory liner. You also have to consider that if you're going to a bigger circumference when you turn the wheels to one side or the other, it might foul the FRAME, which would mean you need a lower offset, which means the tire is defintely not going to be tucked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys. I dont't know if this post is still alive. I'm 17 and I want to buy a Focus RS second hand for my first car. The problem is I have to drive a dirt road everyday to get where I want to go which means I have to lift it. I saw a lot of people recommend the tema 4×4 30mm spacers combined with bigger tires. @320icar you seem to have a lot of experience regarding this through trial and error. Can you fit the spacers on the OE suspension without modifying anything(like the swaybars end links). I was thinking of maybe using the same 215/65r16 ko2 tires you used and I wanted to know if you think they'll fit on the stock suspension with the 30mm spacers. In total I want to see if I can maybe lift the car 3 inches. Anyone have any recommendations on what to do? Help would really be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Also I’m not trying to be a jerk or gatekeeping. Honestly you’ll be happier with a Subaru. The RS is not meant to be lifted really, it didn’t ride well, the driveline geometry wasn’t good, the tires were downright dangerous and downgrading the brakes, though fine, is not a good solution unless you’re doing a proper rally big brake kit

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also I’m not trying to be a jerk or gatekeeping. Honestly you’ll be happier with a Subaru. The RS is not meant to be lifted really, it didn’t ride well, the driveline geometry wasn’t good, the tires were downright dangerous and downgrading the brakes, though fine, is not a good solution unless you’re doing a proper rally big brake kit
I considered a subaru when I started looking, but a lot of people said something about the engines 'blowing up' and I didn't want to risk buying one and then the same happens. Any recommendations in which subaru you think is ideal and reliable?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I considered a subaru when I started looking, but a lot of people said something about the engines 'blowing up' and I didn't want to risk buying one and then the same happens. Any recommendations in which subaru you think is ideal and reliable?
check the oil and coolant regularly and you shouldn't have a problem. most ppl that "blow them up" didn't do this. this is also something to do in any sports car imo.

i.e. i check mine every day I drive it.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I disagree with the focus using oil, but that’s my own experience. Track use and daily driving and doesn’t really burn any between oil changes. I also own a 2010 STi, 275,000km and still on the original motor, turbo and even clutch. Pretty much any Subaru can be reliable, the trick is to keep the drivetrain stock other than maybe an exhaust.

the Subaru aftermarket world is very large, and there is a massive community worldwide around lifting and rally prepping a Subaru. Whereas the focus RS has like 10? People who’ve tried to do it lol. No comparison.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I disagree with the focus using oil, but that’s my own experience. Track use and daily driving and doesn’t really burn any between oil changes. I also own a 2010 STi, 275,000km and still on the original motor, turbo and even clutch. Pretty much any Subaru can be reliable, the trick is to keep the drivetrain stock other than maybe an exhaust.

the Subaru aftermarket world is very large, and there is a massive community worldwide around lifting and rally prepping a Subaru. Whereas the focus RS has like 10? People who’ve tried to do it lol. No comparison.
thanks for first hand input. I've only put 5k miles on my car in the past year and one oil change and havent noticed any oil burning myself (i guess i should have stated that). I can swear I have read a few times in the forum to check the oil regularly as it can burn oil, but I do a lot of reading on a lot of things so i could be getting my wires crossed.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Thanks I really appreciate the advice and help. As much as it sucks I can see that the focus rs probably won't work. Any suggestions as to which model subarus are the best?
A WRX would probably be your best bet, maybe an XV Crosstrek if you need the extra room or have that "active" lifestyle.
forester sits pretty high and is still pretty fun and powerful.. hands down the STI is the "best" its the RS competitor.
A Forester is another one, although I feel its more of a cuv than a car. I would skip the STI honestly. Although they advertise it as having all that rally heritage, it sits pretty low and was tuned for road use from the get go and will have the same issues as the RS.

341 - 360 of 365 Posts