Ford Focus RS Forum banner

281 - 300 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Depending on the travel of your rear struts, you can look into something like the Ground Control Coilover Conversion and pick any height of 2.5" springs you want for the rear. It'll also allow you to tinker with spring stiffness. I did the same with my Fortune Auto 500's. It allowed me to use stiffer springs in the rear than what FA provides. Same principal can be applied with trying to adjust your ride height. It'd also allow you to fit things like helper springs.
I believe the KW DCCs that he has already have the standard 60mm springs, so you might be able to just check out any spring manufacturer (Eibach, Swift, etc.) for the right spring rate and length.

Another option that I've been thinking of are these:

Not sure if they will just drop into place though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I believe the KW DCCs that he has already have the standard 60mm springs, so you might be able to just check out any spring manufacturer (Eibach, Swift, etc.) for the right spring rate and length.

Another option that I've been thinking of are these:

Not sure if they will just drop into place though.
I just went ahead and ordered the 40mm lift spacers for the rear. I'm loving the height on the front, and hopefully the extra 10mm will even it out a bit more, otherwise I'll have to look at some springs.

I also drove around yesterday, and the combo of the KW's and the 17" setup is crazy comfy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Finally got the rear 40mm lift spacers installed and now the car has an even stance. Love it. Glad I could keep my KW coilovers, and it looks like I might be able to fit a bit of a taller tire in the future. I love the way this car feels now, and I can drive around downtown without fear of leaving my bumper behind on any given driveway.

Quick pic from this morning.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Finally got the rear 40mm lift spacers installed and now the car has an even stance. Love it. Glad I could keep my KW coilovers, and it looks like I might be able to fit a bit of a taller tire in the future. I love the way this car feels now, and I can drive around downtown without fear of leaving my bumper behind on any given driveway.

Quick pic from this morning.

View attachment 344109
Looks like I'm ordering those lift spacers then... How was the install?

·
Registered
2 Posts
UPDATE:
Ive been on the Yellowspeed coilovers for about 5 months now and I would say I haven't been impressed. The front is way too high, there is no practical way to get the front lift under 2" over factory. I have the rears just about as high as they can go, and they are barely matching the fronts. So unless you are trying to really lift the front, this isn't the answer.

Secondly, and most important, after 5 months, the driver front damper blew. It puked the oil out the bottom and has a gnarly clunk. I reached out to Yellowspeed about this since I mostly drive on roads, and have not done any rallying, and they said they will not cover anything on the gravel setup under warranty. They claimed the reason it blew was because I drive it on road, and that driving on the road is harsher on the damper than rally racing... It will also be $335 to get a replacement. Overall not happy and wouldnt suggest these coilovers.

I have the 1-way adjustable version, and maybe the 2 or 3 ways would be better, but when ordering I asked if there was any difference in durability or performance and they said there was no difference other than adjustability and oil capacity to help with heat.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
UPDATE:
Ive been on the Yellowspeed coilovers for about 5 months now and I would say I haven't been impressed. The front is way too high, there is no practical way to get the front lift under 2" over factory. I have the rears just about as high as they can go, and they are barely matching the fronts. So unless you are trying to really lift the front, this isn't the answer.

Secondly, and most important, after 5 months, the driver front damper blew. It puked the oil out the bottom and has a gnarly clunk. I reached out to Yellowspeed about this since I mostly drive on roads, and have not done any rallying, and they said they will not cover anything on the gravel setup under warranty. They claimed the reason it blew was because I drive it on road, and that driving on the road is harsher on the damper than rally racing... It will also be $335 to get a replacement. Overall not happy and wouldnt suggest these coilovers.

I have the 1-way adjustable version, and maybe the 2 or 3 ways would be better, but when ordering I asked if there was any difference in durability or performance and they said there was no difference other than adjustability and oil capacity to help with heat.
update and warning on tractive suspension traps
When I bought tractive suspension my aim was to run it at standard height for track use and 1 inch higher for road and gravel. This was to be achieved by adjusting the spring platforms on the struts and the rear platform for the divorced spring and shock.

This was fully discussed with the Australian distributor and the car was duly fitted with tractive suspension and dsc controller with instructions on number of turns to go from normal to raised ride height. Raised ride height sees the spring platforms at the top of the threaded strut body.

All was well for a short time but then I did a track day with the car in high config as a test. The front struts started sticking and knocking and it felt crunchy, for want of a better word.

On disassembly the strut bearings were damaged and the shocks themselves internally damaged. All this for components expected to last year's not days.

The reason for failure is that there are 3 bearings in the strut body for the shock and running it raised takes it out of range of the bottom bearing, leaving it running on two. Usual forces at raised ride height then caused the damage. Given the use had been clearly explained by email and height was set following discussion this was an unexpected failure.

Luckily, the distributor, which is a race engineering shop, has been reasonable about this but there has been long delays with parts from Holland.

the fix
The only fix is to put in top mount spacers. The suspension shop distributor will be measuring up for these soon but expect around 3cm or so. Now the stut is set somewhere near normal height for raised. When set for track the strut platform is lowered from standard. This means the shock is either at standard insertion in the strut or further in when dropped, always engaging bearings as normal.

When run in track mode platform is lowered. This will be the same as lowering normally with compromises on bump travel and hence ripple strip absorption. The engineering trick now is working out from bearing locations and other factors what is a safe compromise position which mitigates this. For example, a spacer where platform up 1.5cm is raised and down 1.5 is normal. I will update when this is worked out.

my suspension engineering shop
They have generally been good but it has taken a long time, They are accepting the rebuild and replace cost and I am paying for the mounts. Maybe tema 4x4 would have been ok but who knows.

general warning
I suspect that all coil over inverted struts of same design as tractive have the same problem. I would strongly suggest that if you are raising your car you use spacers not adjusting coil over. Coil over adjustment can be used and lowering platform is always safe but brings bump reduction issues etc as always. Won't cause damage I described. Slight raising may be fine but extent needs investigation and setting it too high will cause damage eventually.

finally
as @BigFatFlip says, maybe I should have bought Reigers. More generally, the rs does not perform as I hoped as standard. It is track focused and I'll suited to dirt as standard .

I have had to do many mods to bring it to the point where it is competent, no surprises, and can endure for a reasonable time. This includes ongoing work to disable ABS panic brake and ice mode idiocy. Ice mode is terrifying on lumpy gravel as hard brakes and no stopping. This carries over to track use as there have been severe injuries in Porsches, bmw etc where ice mode detects kitty litter traps and stops braking leading to unimpeded high speed impact with wall. The rs will do this too if you are unlucky.

I'm hoping I am near the end of mods to date. So far I have done
  • Sump guard to replace rat fur and save damage on gravel roads.
  • Dba 5000 series brakes and ds2500 pads as standard brakes delaminated as not a lot of meat on them and destroyed discs.
  • Wavetrac diff to get mechanical torque vectoring and reduce reliance on electronic vectoring.
  • Selection of 29 inch rims and cup 2s for track and 17 inch 45 profile kumo extra for road, snow and gravel.
  • Laser light bar for decent visibility and driving at night. Great product.
  • Tractive suspension so i could have comfort as daily driver but the set good track, khanacross and gravel setting.
  • Top mount spacers to fix tractive problem.
  • Turbo blanket for enhanced efficiency.
  • Underbody hdpe to minimise rock damage on dirt
  • Xtreme dual plate clutch because the previous owner must have slipped the clutch a lot. Factory dual mass clutch too expensive so went dual plate to last forever.
  • Revo tune stage 1 tune. Not much concerned about power but a bit more good.
  • Bonnet louvers to let heat out. Prefer to improve dissipation first before upgrading radiators.
  • Nutron drift stick for khanacross and skid pan.
  • Steeda clutch spring to improve clutch feel.
  • Mud flaps made from hdpe to be more substantial than rally armour and more protective
  • Schroth quickfit pro harnesses because things can always go wrong.
I must be getting close to my multi purpose objective but it is a long road.

Hope this info helps

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Well this thread has taken quite the turn. I was happy with my YSR setup but I went back to tarmac due to other non-car related stuff.

it’s a shame there hasn’t yet been a be-all-end-all solution.

is @gmoneyjive still active? Maybe he can chime in on his red devil customs kit

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Shortly my engineering shop will have measured bearing locations and determined safe amount shocks can be raised. I'll let you know once this is done. These guys know their stuff so this should be a definitive answer.

The shop ended up replacing all of the strut bushes, some o-rings and some other small parts. They hand made the piston bands (the seal that goes around the piston and wipes on the chrome tube). They are perfect fit to give excellent sealing (the production seals are about 2mm shorter to allow for fast assembly. The RF damper oil was black, not from heat but from the wear of the piston band so it's likely that the piston was sliding at a slight angle because it was so far in droop.
Just a quick update

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bump:

Got the tema 4x4 kit and massive front and tear end links in.

Was wondering if you guys could help with install time so I know how to judge my mechanics quote when I ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Since you don’t need to seperate the front shock and spring, a mechanic on a lift could blast this out in an hour. But knowing a shop, they’ll probably charge you 3h

·
Registered
108 Posts
Since you don’t need to seperate the front shock and spring, a mechanic on a lift could blast this out in an hour. But knowing a shop, they’ll probably charge you 3h
Yea I’m shootings for two. $80-90/hr is avg.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I know this is the wrong section, but can this fit with a spacer ?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I know this is the wrong section, but can this fit with a spacer ?
I recall steelies being discussed here:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Love this thread. Been following it from the beginning as I'd love to be able to run lifted during the winter months and standard height during the warmer months.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I'm sure someone on here would appreciate these:

·
Registered
108 Posts
This guy is trying to say 7 hours bc he doesn’t understand. This is frustrating. Today was supposed to be the day.

I think 16 Ford Focus RS Grey
Eibach Sways /Catless Dp /Adamtuned Auxfuel Kit/ Cobb AdamTuned/ Dsc Sport Controller/ Radium PcV CC./K+N air filter /Tema 4x4 30mm spacer/e85/massive sway endlinks//

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
The rears is maybe 20 minutes a side, and the fronts at most 60 minutes a side. That’s some normie in the driveway including lifting the car onto stands and taking off the wheels.

no idea where he’s getting 7 hours from

·
Registered
108 Posts
The rears is maybe 20 minutes a side, and the fronts at most 60 minutes a side. That’s some normie in the driveway including lifting the car onto stands and taking off the wheels.

no idea where he’s getting 7 hours from
Because he says to fully remove. I’d do it myself if all my tools weren’t thrown away in a move.

Eibach Sways /Catless Dp /Adamtuned Auxfuel Kit/ Cobb AdamTuned/ Dsc Sport Controller/ Radium PcV CC./K+N air filter /Tema 4x4 30mm spacer/e85/massive sway endlinks//

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Well, the Tractive suspension saga has finally got an outcome. The key figures are:
1/ The tractive shock has 124mm of piston travel from top of stroke to when it just kisses the bump rubber. The bumper rubber is 50mm long and progressive.
2/ When installed to tt suspension specifications the piston sits at 62mm of stroke (that is, mid travel).
3/ When installed as standard, the tractive coil over suspension seems to ride at 602mm, as opposed to 588mm standard. In other words, it is ~14mm higher than the standard front struts.
4/ There is a limited safe range by which the spring perch can be raised to raise the car. The limit is when the inverted strut is no longer supported by the third bearing. This happens at about 20mm raised from standard recommended perch height (i.e. 62mm mid travel for piston). If the strut is not supported by the third bearing it will fail. The safe raising limit is 10mm - no more!
5/ Lowering the perch height (i.e. moving the piston towards the bump rubber) is much safer. The limit is avoiding hard contact on the bump stops when riding ripple strips or compressions. Lowering by 15mm still leaves ~ 47mm bump travel before kissing the progressive bump stop. This is the figure I will be aiming for as an initial attempt.

So, we have made a 15mm spacer. This gives the following ride height figures when perch height is adjusted - having measured the bearings etc this should be safe but YMMV:
Track: 15mm spacer with perch height lowered 15mm from standard height. Net result = standard ride height as recommended for Tractive (which is ~14mm higher than ford standard).
Street/Gravel:
15mm spacer + 10mm lift = standard Tractive ride height + 25mm (which is 39mm higher than ford standard).

So the track configuration is what we will be running at the Whiteline tarmac rallysprint (17th November) check it out here, and the gravel configuration at the next Khanacross (15th). I'll report back on how much toe changes between the two settings. The initial take is to set toe for track use and live with what we get for gravel provided it is not too far out. If it is, it will be a matter of counting turns on the tie rod ends to adjust and checking with a measure.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, the Tractive suspension saga has finally got an outcome. The key figures are:
1/ The tractive shock has 124mm of piston travel from top of stroke to when it just kisses the bump rubber. The bumper rubber is 50mm long and progressive.
2/ When installed to tt suspension specifications the piston sits at 62mm of stroke (that is, mid travel).
3/ When installed as standard, the tractive coil over suspension seems to ride at 602mm, as opposed to 588mm standard. In other words, it is ~14mm higher than the standard front struts.
4/ There is a limited safe range by which the spring perch can be raised to raise the car. The limit is when the inverted strut is no longer supported by the third bearing. This happens at about 20mm raised from standard recommended perch height (i.e. 62mm mid travel for piston). If the strut is not supported by the third bearing it will fail. The safe raising limit is 10mm - no more!
5/ Lowering the perch height (i.e. moving the piston towards the bump rubber) is much safer. The limit is avoiding hard contact on the bump stops when riding ripple strips or compressions. Lowering by 15mm still leaves ~ 47mm bump travel before kissing the progressive bump stop. This is the figure I will be aiming for as an initial attempt.

So, we have made a 15mm spacer. This gives the following ride height figures when perch height is adjusted - having measured the bearings etc this should be safe but YMMV:
Track: 15mm spacer with perch height lowered 15mm from standard height. Net result = standard ride height as recommended for Tractive (which is ~14mm higher than ford standard).
Street/Gravel:
15mm spacer + 10mm lift = standard Tractive ride height + 25mm (which is 39mm higher than ford standard).

So the track configuration is what we will be running at the Whiteline tarmac rallysprint (17th November) check it out here, and the gravel configuration at the next Khanacross (15th). I'll report back on how much toe changes between the two settings. The initial take is to set toe for track use and live with what we get for gravel provided it is not too far out. If it is, it will be a matter of counting turns on the tie rod ends to adjust and checking with a measure.
Have you modified the RDU outputs?

281 - 300 of 328 Posts