Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Lexus IS 500: I am skeptical...

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  spoon 
#1 ·
Anyone here driven the new V8 Lexus IS 500? I got a chance to drive the IS 350 F Sport and the LC 500 at a Lexus drive event, but I don't see the chassis and the V8 engine really coming together into a hard-edged sports sedan.

I've got no complaints about the V8. It sounds fantastic and is a thrill to rev.

It's the IS chassis and transmission that make me a doubter. The chassis is tuned for comfort over utmost control, and the gearbox is lazy next to a good manual or DCT.

Are you all loving or doubting the IS 500?

See less See more
#3 ·
Toyota rarely gets the whole sporty thing right with Lexus. It's why I always wondered why some on the internet were so adamant that the Supra would be better as a rebadged Lexus. Something often said by people who have never sat in a Lexus let alone drive one in any sort of sporty fashion.

They do make a better 4Runner though.

#9 ·
Honestly? The IS500 will be an "ok" car but it will be a great "Lexus". It will hit all the tick boxes a typical Lexus buyer would want: creature comforts, luxury, reliability and most importantly, price. I'm actually just glad they've been adventurous enough to stick the V8 into the IS platform. Probably a "last hurrah" move considering their big push to electric in the near future.

#10 ·
As a former IS250 F-Sport owner I really wish Lexus had gotten it right with the IS. IMO the XE30 generation F-sport trim was a really beautiful car and an interior to match. I still miss it when I see one on the streets. I wish the F-Sport badge had meant a performance upgrade instead of just aesthetics.

#11 ·
I put about 300 miles on a 2016 IS350 F-sport, and 25 miles on an IS-F years ago, and rode in a prototype of the IS500. IMO the IS500 was in between for ride comfort, a slight edge on the IS-F for handling (caveat: I was not driving so not an exact comparison) but the IS500 transmission was far more sorted than the IS-F. The infotainment system is light years behind the competition. If you prefer surprise performance but mostly comfort, it is a great ride. I'm not good enough to make it great on a track.

#13 ·
Bigger brakes are nice but overall exact same chassis, same dimensions, and even same crap steering box (2.8 turns lock to lock) - pass.

I would think that if they did it like Merc did their "Hammer", with a wide body and other specific bits that make it more performance oriented, more special, Lexus would have something.

I think the above comment is spot on though, about this being a great Lexus. If you're in the market for a Lexus anyway, I think this one is hard to beat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.