Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've all had a lot of discussion on how the AWD system works in the glorious Drift Mode, but not so much in the way of how it operates when it comes to snow!

Does anyone have any insight on how the system operates when there is loss of traction up front in normal driving mode? Does it operate like a typical SUV AWD system at that point and provide power to the wheels with the best traction? In the case of moving from a stop in snow will it just apply power to all 4 wheels to get 'out of the hole'?

The Canadians want to know! ...and those in NY of course. lol

Ken block does it well, but will we do it well during everyday driving?

12393872_895444987211557_211986644_n.jpg

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think I saw somewhere that it was open different in front too. Hopefully someone comes out with a limited slip for that. My guess is that it would prolly send most power to the rear as soon as one of the front wheel's starts to spin.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
It's like acuras super handling AWD. Someone posted a good video of an mdx going up an icy hill

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, the front is open, but they've got brake based "torque vectoring" working in front, so I'd expect the free-spinning wheel to get some braking action in order to shift some of the torque to the other side, in addition to whatever the rear is programmed to do (hopefully full engagement on both sides). If it's done well, you should see all 4 wheels spinning/driving when things get snowy :)

·
Banned
346 Posts
Yes, the front is open, but they've got brake based "torque vectoring" working in front, so I'd expect the free-spinning wheel to get some braking action in order to shift some of the torque to the other side, in addition to whatever the rear is programmed to do (hopefully full engagement on both sides). If it's done well, you should see all 4 wheels spinning/driving when things get snowy :)
The torque vectoring is set to brake the inner tire........so one would think that if the left front is slipping, you could turn slightly left and it should brake it and transfer to the front right tire.......right??????? that's what i been thinking. Maybe if you just steer left and right, the power will alternate back and fourth between the two fronts.......? just what i assumed.....haven't read anything.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The torque vectoring is set to brake the inner tire........so one would think that if the left front is slipping, you could turn slightly left and it should brake it and transfer to the front right tire.......right??????? that's what i been thinking. Maybe if you just steer left and right, the power will alternate back and fourth between the two fronts.......? just what i assumed.....haven't read anything.
It will brake any front wheel that is slipping as a reactive LSD type thing. It will also brake the inside wheel in a turn as a proactive LSD thing. But that is looking at differential slippage. If both slip, I don't know what it will do. Modulate brake to make them both slip at the same speed? That sounds bad for the pads.

This is the same system that is on the ST. How do those do in snow? I've never looked into it. The RS would be the same in the front, but also have a whole additional rear axle to put power down. And to shuffle power around to help steering.

·
Banned
346 Posts
It will brake any front wheel that is slipping as a reactive LSD type thing. It will also brake the inside wheel in a turn as a proactive LSD thing. But that is looking at differential slippage. If both slip, I don't know what it will do. Modulate brake to make them both slip at the same speed? That sounds bad for the pads.

This is the same system that is on the ST. How do those do in snow? I've never looked into it. The RS would be the same in the front, but also have a whole additional rear axle to put power down. And to shuffle power around to help steering.
I took the ST to the beach once and almost got stuck in sand. I was kinda turning the steering wheel left and right, while accelerating, to keep the forward momentum going. I don't know if the LSD got me out, the steering to attempt to shuffle power, or the fact that turning moves the placement of the wheels and it just found some traction. I want to know, but not willing to get stuck in sand, snow, or mud to find out! lol
Who wants to be the test subject?
Please record your troubles while trying to find out!! lol

·
Banned
346 Posts
Front is an open diff (right?) and the rear is computer controlled. The car has pretty low ground clearance at 4". I think it'll do pretty well, but maybe not snow plow level.

I would NEVER drive through snow like that! Who knows what might be hidden under all that! HOLES, ROCKS or whatever!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

Good buddy has a FiST with blizzaks, he had no issue pushing through 12" of snow. I would imagine the FoST is the same, or nearly the same. Mine has only worn F1s and MPSS.

The RS with a set of blizzaks will probably take 99% of the snow that any of us will ever see, you might even be able to plow people's driveways for a few extra bucks with the chin spoiler to recoupe the cost of the tires.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

"This is the same system that is on the ST. How do those do in snow?" My ST has Hakka R2's, and it is virtually unstoppable until you decide the snow piling up on the hood is just too freaky. I know it's the tires. They are so good, it's just hard to believe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
All about the tires. Get some snows and it'll be good.
If it's not, I've always got the S6 Avant which can do this:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would NEVER drive through snow like that! Who knows what might be hidden under all that! HOLES, ROCKS or whatever!
Clearly spoken by someone who has never driven in snow :playful:

Did you even watch the video or look at the YouTube page? He's driving up his own driveway. It's snow, not a hurricane. No reason for new holes or rocks or whatever to magically appear since when he left for work that morning...

From my perspective it's actually some very conservative driving. When he stops he doesn't back up very far, or build much momentum, and getting through the door takes like 4 attempts. This gives me great anticipation for getting my RS out in the snow and having some serious fun (without burning up a thousand dollars worth of tires in the process).

·
Registered
306 Posts
So we've all had a lot of discussion on how the AWD system works in the glorious Drift Mode, but not so much in the way of how it operates when it comes to snow!

Does anyone have any insight on how the system operates when there is loss of traction up front in normal driving mode? Does it operate like a typical SUV AWD system at that point and provide power to the wheels with the best traction? In the case of moving from a stop in snow will it just apply power to all 4 wheels to get 'out of the hole'?

The Canadians want to know! ...and those in NY of course. lol

Ken block does it well, but will we do it well during everyday driving?
View attachment 4356

It works the same..

Yaw & Pitch w/traction control... and it moves power to all the wheels all the time whenever they need it to maintain whatever yaw & pitch it needs, for whatever mode selected. Dry pavement, wet pavement, or with snow... all the same. A computer sets parameters and lets you hoon..

·
Banned
346 Posts
Clearly spoken by someone who has never driven in snow :playful:

Did you even watch the video or look at the YouTube page? He's driving up his own driveway. It's snow, not a hurricane. No reason for new holes or rocks or whatever to magically appear since when he left for work that morning...

From my perspective it's actually some very conservative driving. When he stops he doesn't back up very far, or build much momentum, and getting through the door takes like 4 attempts. This gives me great anticipation for getting my RS out in the snow and having some serious fun (without burning up a thousand dollars worth of tires in the process).
Horrible Assumption: I've driven in snow before. It doesn't matter that it's his own driveway. Most accidents happen close to your home. That's because of your assumption that you just made. Just because it's YOUR driveway, doesn't mean that something couldn't have happened while you were away at work. People like you are the ones that accidentally run over their kid's toys, bikes, or their kid with your assumptions that trees don't make noises if they fall and you're not around to hear it.......smh...... I've seen accidents from hidden random objects under snow in a common area. If you like blindly driving through stuff with the hopes of it being like you remembered, knock yourself out. That's the chance you take.

snow.jpg

Just think about all of these animals you've killed........ but for 5 cents a day, you can save a rat from Fast & Furious Snow Plowers. You can send the money directly to me. You can only sign a 20 year subscription and it must be paid up front........ so add that up and send me the money.....thanks.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
ST is awesome in the snow, I expect the RS to be the same with proper tires. I'm still debating to go performance snows or stick with the X-Ice3s that I have on my ST. We head record setting status last year and the snow banks were over 12ft high, the snow farms we had didn't fully melt until the end of July and I only got stuck once. It was going about a ft of snow and my street wasn't plowed, amazingly that wasn't the issue, what got me stuck was the snow berm at the end of the street onto the main road about 3ft by 3ft, I nailed that F*cker and basically beached my ST. I did some really quick shifting from reverse to drive and was able to rock it out. I made it halfway through and if I was going faster I most likely would of made it all the way through. Ground clearance will be our biggest issue in the deep deep stuff but I actually look forward to crappy conditions. Monday I was able to drift the ST around a whole on ramp because of ice, totally controllable and steady with some left foot braking, the RS should be a blast in the snow. I go out in snow just to have fun with my ST, totally confidence inspiring :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dude! You wouldn't make it very far if you lived in the northeast. If you don't drive through snow without knowing %100 what's beneath it, you don't get home, simple as that. Besides, there is very little risk shown in the video, what with being on his own driveway and going about 3 mph max . . .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
15 Participants
apextheorem
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing