Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, coming from a Mazdaspeed3 which has an incredible stock speaker system (10 speaker Bose system), and being a person who is also extremely passionate about music, I'm very concerned with the system in the RS. I listened to the system in the ST (10 speaker Sony system) and its one of the worst full sound systems I have ever heard. Every sound is washed out with almost not definition in the mids and highs. If you turn the bass down you don't hear it, if you turn it up, its muddy and overbearing instead of being tight and punchy. Is it possible to just find a 10 speaker Bose system and swap it out?

That said, fortunately the exhaust sounds incredible and if the ST is any indication of how the engine will sound in the cabin, I bet I will be pretty pleased. I probably will be listening to the engine more than music in the case anyway, but still for those times where I do want music, it'd be nice to not be listening through speakers that sound like they came out of the discount section of Walmart. Sony audio these days are cheap and low quality anywhere you look pretty much anyway.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The sound system in the ST is a letdown. I'm not optimistic that the RS will be any better.

The exhaust on the other ham is another story. Pops and Burbles !

·
5,582 Posts
Agreed..
Pops and bangs priority, audio secondary.

Today, I sat in a focus st and boy was it great. As close as you can get to the RS for now so if anyone keen to gauge RS go to your dealer and sit in the st.

·
Registered
895 Posts
F*ck, I still listen to AM through a single speaker, so anything's going to be better!

·
5,582 Posts
From what I see in specs dab radio + CD + 2 usb ports. Not sure if sync 2 has Bluetooth but I'll using my android phone to play tracks through the 9 speaker setup.
I noticed st today had Sony logo. However, the rs does not show the logo and this I am pleased with.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Agreed..
Pops and bangs priority, audio secondary.

Today, I sat in a focus st and boy was it great. As close as you can get to the RS for now so if anyone keen to gauge RS go to your dealer and sit in the st.
A Panther Black ST is my current car and it is a sensational car with no shortage of power or comfort and every time look at it and sit in it I can see the RS, albeit in a different shade.........:)

·
Registered
895 Posts
A Panther Black ST is my current car and it is a sensational car with no shortage of power or comfort and every time look at it and sit in it I can see the RS, albeit in a different shade.........:)
I know a few people with ST's and the older XR5 and they all love them, the RS can ONLY be better!

·
Registered
337 Posts
While the engine/exhaust notes sound great - I would love a good sound system on the car for the music.

The ST setup is cr*p, Ford Aus have said the RS will have the same speaker setup (which means no sub in the boot like in the boot liner pictures).

Speaker/amp upgrade might be first on the list...

·
Registered
669 Posts
I thought we got the sub in the boot seeing it's a global car. Hadn't heard about that...

I had a 3 MPS with the Bose system. I found it ok, I don't recall thinking it was as fantastic as OP, BUT I am not a huge audio file. I'll take a nicely tuned exhaust over a sound system any day. In saying that though, hopefully the sound system is decent. Might have to go listen to an ST sound system at the dealer.

·
5,582 Posts
This quote is from drive review of focus st last month.

Pretty naff. It's a Sony system (how 1980s…) although you no longer get the Sony logo splashed across the dash; now it's only on the speaker grilles. It's got reasonable bass but sounds thin in the mid-range and lacks clarity with the high notes. At least digital radio is part of the deal, as well as the usual Bluetooth streaming now commonplace.

Read more: Ford Focus ST quick spin review

I'll be happy with that. Not after massive bass but some eq adjustment should make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It can't possibly be worse than the speaker system in my BRZ, literally the worst speaker setup outside of a Lotus Exige.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
It's really not that bad guys and sony still makes respectable stuff, maybe not cutting edge but good enough for sure. The sub was swapped from the back storage space to underneath with the wheel fix kit.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Who cares about the darned sound system! For me it'll be windows down, volume down and listening to that sonorous exhaust - music to my ears.............:)
As a musician who does nothing but listen to music in the car, this actually matters greatly for me. Especially during the cold winter months. I'm not going to have the window open to hear the engine (no matter how awesome it sounds). A good sound system matters, and my concern is that I'll wind up having to replace some of the speakers/amp eventually.

·
Registered
196 Posts
the irony of people wanting amazing sound systems in there cars and then proceeding to stream music or play mp3's makes me scratch my head. At least I hope you play actual CD's. Although I'm fairly certain no one does that anymore. As for me (and it shows i'm getting older i suppose) the sound system in the ST was plenty good enough. I also spend my days around 1/2 million dollar sound systems and live bands, not that that means i know anything about car sound, but i'm more stoked to listen to that turbo spool and that exhaust rumble and crackle while NPR plays in the background ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
the irony of people wanting amazing sound systems in there cars and then proceeding to stream music or play mp3's makes me scratch my head. At least I hope you play actual CD's. Although I'm fairly certain no one does that anymore. As for me (and it shows i'm getting older i suppose) the sound system in the ST was plenty good enough. I also spend my days around 1/2 million dollar sound systems and live bands, not that that means i know anything about car sound, but i'm more stoked to listen to that turbo spool and that exhaust rumble and crackle while NPR plays in the background ;)
I rip all my cd's to FLAC and load them on my 160 gb ipod, thank you very much (even though I know I technically can't hear the difference between high bit rate and lossless files).

·
Registered
558 Posts
I rip all my cd's to FLAC and load them on my 160 gb ipod, thank you very much (even though I know I technically can't hear the difference between high bit rate and lossless files).
I do the same (although I use Apple's lossless format). With higher end 'phones (Sennheiser 595 and 650) there's a noticeable improvement over 320 kb mp3s.

Is the Sony system in the ST/RS capable of playing lossless digital in either FLAC or Apple's format? Many car HUs can't deal with it. You may wind up having to use an analog aux in running from your iPod headphone jack (if the Sony HU even has a miniplug input - some don't offer this any more).

·
Registered
504 Posts
if you are an audiophile than anything factory will prbably not be enough lets be honest. This isnt a 90k Merc with a world class sterio. I am coming from a WRX, Outback, and Honda civic with a 12" sub. Anything will better than what I am used to... That said i just plan on selling the 12 out of my civic and maybe getting an 8 inch one that is molded to fit in the hatch of a focus and call it a day. I just want a little bass for my electronic music and I am gtg.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The stereo in my wife's mini countryman is the best sounding OEM stereo I've ever heard I don't think I want to make any excuses for why the one in the ST and likely the RS isn't at least on par with that

1 - 20 of 38 Posts