Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am currently too broke to afford the big mods I’d like, but I can’t resist the urge to spend every extra dollar I do have on my RS. First, I like the OEM headlights on the car. However, I am never satisfied and pretty much anything can be improved. That said, I am not looking to change out the head light housing, just the bulbs. I am ok with adding inline resistors, or any other additional wiring that’s required. Diode dynamics used to carry some, but for some reason when I enter the make of my vehicle, it says no products found.

Has anyone upgraded bulbs that could share their experience or make suggestions?

I am looking for increased distance and spread and would like maybe one shad bluer than OEM. Not crayon box blue or purple, similar to this.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
So I am currently too broke to afford the big mods I’d like, but I can’t resist the urge to spend every extra dollar I do have on my RS. First, I like the OEM headlights on the car. However, I am never satisfied and pretty much anything can be improved. That said, I am not looking to change out the head light housing, just the bulbs. I am ok with adding inline resistors, or any other additional wiring that’s required. Diode dynamics used to carry some, but for some reason when I enter the make of my vehicle, it says no products found.

Has anyone upgraded bulbs that could share their experience or make suggestions?

I am looking for increased distance and spread and would like maybe one shad bluer than OEM. Not crayon box blue or purple, similar to this.
You don't want LED's (weaker) or the trouble and expense of trying to make the EuroRS headlights work.
This is what you need,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZBTRNP/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Brighter, more white than stock.
Completely compatible with stock headlights.
Pricey, but worth it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Has anyone here actually installed the Philip's Xenon headlight bulbs?

I've been lookng at LED lightbars and for a quality one the cost is quite high. Looking at overall value per dollar, the Phillips bulbs make more sense and won't interfere with the cooling or stock wiring.

Before I spend that amount of money on a headlight upgrade I need to verify 100% these will fit. How difficult is the install?

·
Registered
295 Posts

I've been lookng at LED lightbars and for a quality one the cost is quite high. Looking at overall value per dollar, the Phillips bulbs make more sense and won't interfere with the cooling or stock wiring.

Before I spend that amount of money on a headlight upgrade I need to verify 100% these will fit. How difficult is the install?
Of course I actually installed them, that's why I recommend them. Search for the older thread that explains moving the locking ring to the new bulbs. You will need to remove the headlight to change the bulbs.

·
Registered
194 Posts

I have the Philips bulbs - electrically they are exactly the same as the OEM and are exactly the same size. Where manufacturers differ is the gas filling inside the glass bulb and the form and metal alloy of the filament. When you play with these two you get either higher/lower light output and/or color. Of course light output has inverse correlation to bulb life but given the HID bulbs usual lifespan (on the order of 2000-3000 hours) I'm not too worried about that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Of course I actually installed them, that's why I recommend them. Search for the older thread that explains moving the locking ring to the new bulbs. You will need to remove the headlight to change the bulbs.
Whats the difference between the s1 and the c1 version of this bulb? are they both compatible with the RS headlights as they come from the factory?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Whats the difference between the s1 and the c1 version of this bulb? are they both compatible with the RS headlights as they come from the factory?
I have no info on the c1 version. Mine are the Amazon s1 version. The s1 bulbs are brighter and whiter. The fit is the same as stock. The locking ring must be moved to the new bulbs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts