Ford Focus RS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

· Registered
972 Posts
Have you guys heard this happening on the MY18?

Planning to install a short shifter this coming weekend.
Same part only time with SoCal heat coming soon.

· Registered
410 Posts
Hate to bring this thread back to life but roughly 6 months and 10k miles later i think my shifter housing leak has returned. i went out to my car this morning (it was raining pretty heavy last night) and yet again saw oil streaming from underneath my car. Dealer cant get me in till monday to confirm it is actually the shifter tower thats leaking but it is the same symptoms as last time when i brought it in. only difference is there is no real struggle to get through the gears. Last time they just resealed the tower with TA-16 and filled up the transmission fluid with XT-11-QDC is there anything else i should tell them to look for?

· Registered
410 Posts
Hate to bring this thread back to life but roughly 6 months and 10k miles later i think my shifter housing leak has returned. i went out to my car this morning (it was raining pretty heavy last night) and yet again saw oil streaming from underneath my car. Dealer cant get me in till monday to confirm it is actually the shifter tower thats leaking but it is the same symptoms as last time when i brought it in. only difference is there is no real struggle to get through the gears. Last time they just resealed the tower with TA-16 and filled up the transmission fluid with XT-11-QDC is there anything else i should tell them to look for?
Finally got my car fixed today, instead of resealing the old housing again the dealer completely replaced the shifter housing (Part #: F1FZ-7201-A), they also mentioned in their report that the grommet on shifter housing/ gate was warped? no idea how that could have occurred but hopefully its fixed now and no more stops at the dealer!

· Registered
158 Posts
Mine claimed it was the CC and customer modifications installed causing oil all over the trans.... The CC doesn't sit anywhere near affected area under the battery, and it would be physically impossible for a CC leak to reach that area..... Also doesn't help that the dumb ass tech did the dye test on the engine oil, when it's obviously the transmission that's leaking......

I'm waiting for a few weeks to make sure nothing else is leaking from the HG job before taking it back in.
Well finally took the car to the dealer and just like you they blame it on the CC. I told the adviser that oil is coming right from the shift tower and how can the CC below it cause the issue? She said because the fan is blowing it to that area. So I have to remove the CC and take it back on a later date. I also have to wait on installing the mountune intercooler because they will probably blame that as well!

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Well finally took the car to the dealer and just like you they blame it on the CC. I told the adviser that oil is coming right from the shift tower and how can the CC below it cause the issue? She said because the fan is blowing it to that area. So I have to remove the CC and take it back on a later date. I also have to wait on installing the mountune intercooler because they will probably blame that as well!
What dealer are you taking it too? If SVF, ask them to put dye in the trans fluid or motor oil. My vote would be trans because that's the likely source, and if it is the CC and you put it in the oil, then you're going to have a glowing mess everywhere. They're usually pretty cool there.

· Registered
158 Posts
What dealer are you taking it too? If SVF, ask them to put dye in the trans fluid or motor oil. My vote would be trans because that's the likely source, and if it is the CC and you put it in the oil, then you're going to have a glowing mess everywhere. They're usually pretty cool there.
I will tell them to do the dye next time. SVF service department are pretty cool... I didn't complain I just said I'll take off CC and bring it back in. As for the adviser ... she was just quoting what the tech wrote down on the report.

Reactions: phillofoc

· Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I hope you get this mess sorted out @jl499 but did you ask them to check the transmission leak for dye to confirm the leak is indeed from the catch can? The trans leak won't have dye lol. I pick apart the dealer's methods whenever I'm there. I get there's a process they have to follow, but they have to follow the right process. I usually bring them donuts or pizza though so they put up with my ****.

· Registered
550 Posts
I have oil all over the shift tower. It dripped all over the bottom of the tranny and Mish catch can. Its coming from the tower but I hope my dealer doesn't blame it on the Mish catch can.
26k miles '17 RS.
I have a breather plate, MM, CC, Mish intake and AP tune. going to remove the tune and run for a few weeks before I take it in. Hope to get this under warranty but if they deny then I'll do it myself.
Im having this exact issue. Removed my mishimoto airbox to install another, and noticed my mishimoto cc was caked in oil. I thought something was wrong with it, since the weld on the bracket has cracked, but I found oil pooled up on top of the transmission exactly where everyone else is finding some.
Will have to bring it in soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
158 Posts
Im having this exact issue. Removed my mishimoto airbox to install another, and noticed my mishimoto cc was caked in oil. I thought something was wrong with it, since the weld on the bracket has cracked, but I found oil pooled up on top of the transmission exactly where everyone else is finding some.
Will have to bring it in soon.

Come to find out it wasn't the tower. The issue was the CC. All the fitting were leaking. Redid all fittings and issue resolved.

· Registered
550 Posts
Come to find out it wasn't the tower. The issue was the CC. All the fitting were leaking. Redid all fittings and issue resolved.
And it was splattering all the way up on top of the transmission?
My dealer did the CC install, but im still waiting for mishi to send me a new can and bracket.
Hopefully the fittings are ok and it hasn’t been a useless part sitting in my engine bay..

· Registered
1,543 Posts
Where the heck does your CC mount? My radium is kinda leaking, even after pulling it all apart, cleaning and adding some teflon tape. But it's not mounted anywhere near the trans, and there is literally no path for any oil leaking to get to the top of the trans and pool like that.

· Registered
550 Posts
Where the heck does your CC mount? My radium is kinda leaking, even after pulling it all apart, cleaning and adding some teflon tape. But it's not mounted anywhere near the trans, and there is literally no path for any oil leaking to get to the top of the trans and pool like that.
Mishimoto one is right under the transmission, on top of the undertray.. so I’m also unsure.
Isn’t radium right in front of the airbox ?

· Registered
164 Posts
I would strongly suggest just removing the POS vent ford gave us and install a better more adequate breather set up. I have had to do this on every single manual Ford hatch since 2000 era. All of the designs are similar and anyone with a million ford hatch miles as myself can attest the shift tower vent plate isn't the issue, its ford cheap way of sending you away when your in for service VS making a progressive change assessment. I have not had a repeated issue for over 30K miles of use with new vent breather set up. Just an FYI.
Hey Shimmer, what part are you using to replace the factory one?

· Registered
158 Posts
Right under the tranny like Overspooled said. It was leaking and the radiator fan was blowing it all over the engine area and most of it right on top of the tower. Retape all fitting and cleaned up tower area and no more issues.

· Registered
972 Posts

· Registered
772 Posts
Do you have the receipt still perhaps?? Can you post or pvt message me a re-dacted version please, I will send you 50$ paypal if I can get them to cover this like they are supposed to lol. Honestly I think they are just coding it wrong in the computer and trying to charge me...stealership 101lol...

61 - 80 of 88 Posts