Ford Focus RS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

· Registered
213 Posts
SOLVED! Finally! Dealer took out the fill plug at the top of the tower and found the threads were all mangled. They clearly cross-threaded it from the factory. If anyone is still having this issue you just need the dealer to buy a new drain plug, clean the threads, and you should be good to go!

· Registered
77 Posts
Finished up at the dealer. They could not find any leak around the transmission or shift tower. I had the them also take a look at my leaking banjo bolt on the turbo supply line , which they fixed. They said the fluid on the shift tower was probably just "residual from the supply line leak." :chargrined: Right... tell me again how transmission fluid leaked out of the turbo supply line, flew to the other side of the engine, and deposited itself in the recesses of the shift tower without splashing on anything else... sheesh.
I stumbled across this thread , I was told the same thing today, out of interest, did it this fix the issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
266 Posts
I stumbled across this thread , I was told the same thing today, out of interest, did it this fix the issue?

No, I still have small amounts of fluid collecting in the recesses of the shift tower. I haven't addressed it yet... it is such a hassle to leave the car with the dealer for several days and argue with them about it.

· Registered
77 Posts
So after 4 visits to the dealer, oil is still pooling on the shift tower. The issue I have is that I don't drive the car a lot, so it takes 4 weeks for oil to pool after cleaning it. I hope I have better luck after the 5th visit.

· Registered
29 Posts
Hey what's up everybody. So I've been pretty happy with my car overall - 2017 Frozen White, currently at 27k miles. I had the head gasket work done at around 22k miles. Anyway I was having the oil changed today at the dealer and a nail in my tire removed and tire patched. About 2 hours later the dealer tells me the work is complete but that they found a "Transfer Case Fluid Leak". So now I'm back on the Forums scouring for whether or not this can be fixed and how to get the dealer to actually fix it. Could be the several glasses of wine I've had tonight but despite the smiles that this car puts on my face I'm getting pretty discouraged by there always seeming to be some sort of issue. I mean most people would consider a car with less than 30k miles on it relatively new no? The way this thing is going I fear it won't make 50k miles! It may be that owning these sort of "specialty cars" warrants having a thicker skin of more of a stomach for these things. Anyway after finding the leak the dealer told me appointments are 3 weeks out for them taking a look at what the actual cause could be, however the Service Advisor did say I should get it looked at asap. I'll be making an appointment first thing next week with my regular dealer in Livermore, CA (in case anyone is wondering of the location). Alright will keep people posted if and when it's resolved. Trying to stay positive :)

· Registered
29 Posts
Hey everyone not sure if anyone is reading this but figured I'll give an update in case anyone else sees this. So preliminary report back from the dealer is that there is an internal Ford bulletin, nothing that owners would get, which requires replacing seals on the transfer case. Not sure if they are updated seals or what but I'm now awaiting a call as to how long it will take to get said seals and all of the 1 time nuts and bolts that go with this work. Fingers crossed! Will update more as I find out.

· Registered
784 Posts
Hey everyone not sure if anyone is reading this but figured I'll give an update in case anyone else sees this. So preliminary report back from the dealer is that there is an internal Ford bulletin, nothing that owners would get, which requires replacing seals on the transfer case. Not sure if they are updated seals or what but I'm now awaiting a call as to how long it will take to get said seals and all of the 1 time nuts and bolts that go with this work. Fingers crossed! Will update more as I find out.
Do you know if it was the shift tower on the transmission, or a leak on the PTU (transfer case) passenger side axle seal?

· Registered
29 Posts
Hey @XRJoe I'm learning little by little, transfer case as originally stated by Serramonte Ford = PTU to almost everyone who talks RS. So yeah according to the service advisor it was the PTU. Not sure about whether or not it was the passenger side axle seal. He just mentioned it needing seals replaced. I'm supposed to get the car back on Monday the 12th, they've had it since Tuesday the 6th. I think it took them a day or two to get the parts. The SA did mention that the work is pretty laborious in that the PTU actually needs to come out of the car. Anyway dying to get the car back as I'm driving around in a huge F150 loaner.

· Registered
101 Posts
I have a leak coming from the shift tower area as well. They are trying to nail down where its coming from. Mine seems to be coming from the shift tower area. Leaking down the front side of the trans.

· Registered
158 Posts
I have oil all over the shift tower. It dripped all over the bottom of the tranny and Mish catch can. Its coming from the tower but I hope my dealer doesn't blame it on the Mish catch can.
26k miles '17 RS.
I have a breather plate, MM, CC, Mish intake and AP tune. going to remove the tune and run for a few weeks before I take it in. Hope to get this under warranty but if they deny then I'll do it myself.

· Registered
1,543 Posts
I have oil all over the shift tower. It dripped all over the bottom of the tranny and Mish catch can. Its coming from the tower but I hope my dealer doesn't blame it on the Mish catch can.
26k miles '17 RS.
I have a breather plate, MM, CC, Mish intake and AP tune. going to remove the tune and run for a few weeks before I take it in. Hope to get this under warranty but if they deny then I'll do it myself.
Mine claimed it was the CC and customer modifications installed causing oil all over the trans.... The CC doesn't sit anywhere near affected area under the battery, and it would be physically impossible for a CC leak to reach that area..... Also doesn't help that the dumb ass tech did the dye test on the engine oil, when it's obviously the transmission that's leaking......

I'm waiting for a few weeks to make sure nothing else is leaking from the HG job before taking it back in.

Reactions: jl449

· Registered
972 Posts
I would strongly suggest just removing the POS vent ford gave us and install a better more adequate breather set up. I have had to do this on every single manual Ford hatch since 2000 era. All of the designs are similar and anyone with a million ford hatch miles as myself can attest the shift tower vent plate isn't the issue, its ford cheap way of sending you away when your in for service VS making a progressive change assessment. I have not had a repeated issue for over 30K miles of use with new vent breather set up. Just an FYI.

· Registered
510 Posts
But if we messed with the stock breather setup and the transmission blew, they would definitely blame it on messing with the stock breather, as stupid as we all know that is....

I would strongly suggest just removing the POS vent ford gave us and install a better more adequate breather set up. I have had to do this on every single manual Ford hatch since 2000 era. All of the designs are similar and anyone with a million ford hatch miles as myself can attest the shift tower vent plate isn't the issue, its ford cheap way of sending you away when your in for service VS making a progressive change assessment. I have not had a repeated issue for over 30K miles of use with new vent breather set up. Just an FYI.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts