Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

· Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been noticing some leaking around the shift tower. Not sure how ling it has been going on, but it wasn't there when I installed the mountune short shifter. I noticed it after finding some leaking oil on the underside after a dealer oil change when i was installing the mountune rear motor mount. . I was able it narrow it down possibly to the vent on the back side of the shift tower. It looks like it may be coming from where the white plastic tube meets the black housing. Recesses to the right were all full of oil that i cleaned out.

I have about 7k miles on the clock, and have only done the short shifter and rear motor mount.

has anyone else had or heard of any similar issues?

Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Car

Water Auto part Photography Metal Still life photography

· Registered
149 Posts
so I was looking for any one that has had this problem and found your post, I think mine is worse! I actually have puddles. Dealer said it's from the vent. I am waiting for a call back from the service manager. I do not think this is acceptable. Has anyone else had this amount of gear box vent oil? Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Car

· Registered
210 Posts
I was tracking down a different leak and noticed I had something leaking in the same area as you. I wouldn't call mine puddles, but there were splatters of oil all around. It very well could be from the vent. This car does have some leak issues. At least my PTU seals aren't leaking.

· Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have those puddles too. Thought it was from the seal breaking during install if the shifter, so I took the shift tower it and put sealant. No luck however. Still leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
149 Posts
I was tracking down a different leak and noticed I had something leaking in the same area as you. I wouldn't call mine puddles, but there were splatters of oil all around. It very well could be from the vent. This car does have some leak issues. At least my PTU seals aren't leaking.
I am ok with splatters from the vent, puddles no, service manager said that spirited driving would warrant residue but agreed what I have needs further investigation so I have an appointment next Friday. I will let you guys know the outcome.

Reactions: BrianH87

· Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Maybe it was overfilled to start and that is why the vent is putting out so much crud.
so I was looking for any one that has had this problem and found your post, I think mine is worse! I actually have puddles. Dealer said it's from the vent. I am waiting for a call back from the service manager. I do not think this is acceptable. Has anyone else had this amount of gear box vent oil? View attachment 216578

· Registered
107 Posts
Hi,

I have been noticing some leaking around the shift tower. Not sure how ling it has been going on, but it wasn't there when I installed the mountune short shifter. I noticed it after finding some leaking oil on the underside after a dealer oil change when i was installing the mountune rear motor mount. . I was able it narrow it down possibly to the vent on the back side of the shift tower. It looks like it may be coming from where the white plastic tube meets the black housing. Recesses to the right were all full of oil that i cleaned out.

I have about 7k miles on the clock, and have only done the short shifter and rear motor mount.

has anyone else had or heard of any similar issues?

View attachment 214938
View attachment 214946
Hey there , at 15k service my dealer found an oil leak running down the centre of the gearbox tunnel ( not enough to drip oil , but definitely with looking at ) they initially told me they thought it was the sealant used between the gearbox cases .. so application to FORD was put in and gearbox was removed under warranty to inspect the issue - 6 F'ing weeks later the gearbox was back and in my car and it turned out to be the shifter mechanism on the output shaft of the gearbox ... sounds like you may have the same problem perhaps .. just ANOTHER issue with these cars ..

· Registered
210 Posts
Yes, this definitely seems to be more common now. I cleaned all of mine up and noticed it's coming back a little bit at a time. I'm going to wait until a fix is proven. Please continue to keep us in the loop on the status of yours.

· Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took it in to the dealer. They ended up replacing the shift tower because they said the vent plate was not available. Seems to be fine now. I drove a few days on it, then put the mountune short shift back on yesterday and it still seems to be fine. I'll keep an eye on it to see if anything re-occurs.

Text Font Document Paper

Attachments

· Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Part is about $130 I think. It's not that hard to do. I took the existing one of and put new sealant on it and that didn't help. before I took it in to the dealer I also took the mountune shifter off because it prevents you getting at one of the bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
288 Posts
Maybe it was overfilled to start and that is why the vent is putting out so much crud.
i just finished replacing my transmission fluid with the Motul DCTF recommended by others. I did this at 10k mi. and honestly it was probably a waste of time. I wasn't having any problems with gear engagement prior, and shifting felt the same after the fluid swap.
Anyway, I should have measured it but more than 2 qts. came out when draining. A decent amount of fluid started draining when i opened the fill port. Because of this i would say mine was overfilled from the factory. I am not having OP's problem but these breathers might be more inclined to leak if the transmission is overfilled.

Reactions: Soundwave

· Registered
149 Posts
So after waiting 7 weeks for a "shift selector mechanism housing" which was on back order, I was so happy to be done with this! but wait am I? nope,,,,,,see pictures, you can see the red sealant in between. Take a look at that fine still leaking son of a gun! I drove 10 miles home next morning popped off air box all happy to start putting on my parts, no, no and no. waiting now for service guy to call me back. Auto part Metal Nut
Auto part Fuel line Engine Automotive engine part Hose

1 - 20 of 88 Posts