Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Its the rack broski and those are dam expensive.............
Glad one of my first purchases for the car was the 7y/100k extended warranty from whitebuffalo. Any idea what in the steering rack would fail to cause this? Could it be just the bushing wearing out and allowing the rack to shift under load? I've also noticed my car seems to be pretty floaty recently, and small bumps seem to turn the steering wheel while driving, but assumed it was alignment which is on my list to get corrected.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Gear assembly is **** the part number has changed 5-7x already since 2016.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a knocking / rattling noise from the front of my 2017 from pretty early on and got a new rack put in at about 62k k's after finally getting fed up with the noise

Noticed it at first when turning into my rolled curb driveway and it progressively worsened until it became common when driving on unpaved / dirt surfaces - couldn't really hear it in normal driving, although if you drove over lane markers with the right front wheel it made the knock.

First off the dealer disconnected the sway bar links - knock was still there
Then they replaced right front shock - no change
Then they replaced right lower control arm - no change
Finally replaced the rack and the knock was gone - yay!
Rack was sent back to Ford Australia so no diagnosis of the source of the problem given to me.

Car is currently back at Dealers with 80k k's because the knock is back Exactly the same symptoms as before

Been thru the same 'check and tighten' process but no change - tomorrow they are going to undo the rack and check the mounting bushes to see if these are worn - if they are I said I would look into some aftermarket ones.

But if it isn't the bushes and it needs another rack after less than 20k k's I will be a bit concerned for when the car runs out of warranty

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've started noticing the same thing on low speed bumpy roads. It just feels like something is loose in the front end that you can feel in the steering wheel. Problem is I've already replaced the control arm bushings with Powerflex solid poly bushings, so that pretty much just leaves the steering rack...

Another possible symptom I have noticed, with the car of and steering wheel centered. If I quickly shake it back and forth I can feel/hear the loose sound. Anyone with and without the issue want to test this to confirm?

Yes that describes it exactly, including shaking wheel back & forth

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yes that describes it exactly, including shaking wheel back & forth
Well ****..... I guess at least it's good I know the issue, but it means a battle with ford and what sounds like a very long wait for a replacement. I'll probably have to go soon though as the car is starting to feel unstable at times, especially on non flat roads it feels like it's 'strafing' side to side and I'm constantly fighting to keep straight.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well ****..... I guess at least it's good I know the issue, but it means a battle with ford and what sounds like a very long wait for a replacement. I'll probably have to go soon though as the car is starting to feel unstable at times, especially on non flat roads it feels like it's 'strafing' side to side and I'm constantly fighting to keep straight.
Same issue here too. Cant find a part number for the rack though

·
Registered
501 Posts
I would think the noise we are hearing has to do with the tie rod ends, but could be wrong.

For people who are lowered, has anyone tried these? I know the evos need these to correct steering if lowered, but this is the only option I've found for the RS:

And

·
Registered
52 Posts
I shook the steering wheel back & forth while standing next to the car. It's definitely the rack or tie rods.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Has anybody figured out if the new racks are improved at all? This is a pretty bad failure for a 20k mile car. Out of warranty is going to suck.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Has anybody figured out if the new racks are improved at all? This is a pretty bad failure for a 20k mile car. Out of warranty is going to suck.
I'm in the same boat, my warantee just expired. Can only imagine what this is going to cost.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I'm in the same boat, my warantee just expired. Can only imagine what this is going to cost.
Every country's consumer laws are different but I can grantee you here in Australia out of warranty I'd be more than confident of getting satisfaction from Ford for an expensive steering rack that had failed at 20k miles. What overrides warranty here is the "fit for purpose" provision and a steering rack that wont do 20k miles isn't seen as fit for purpose.
First thing to do is ask Ford respectfully to cover at least the parts cost if not the whole thing due to the expectation that a steering rack should reasonably be expected to last more than 20k and dont accept the initial dealer moronic push back.

Ciao

21 - 34 of 34 Posts