Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Knocking noice front end suspension

18K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  OverkillYJ 
#1 ·
My 2017 RS front end is making knocking noice, like a Tupperware box with something rattling in it. Been to the dealer, however say they can’t find anything. Has anyone experienced the same and if yes, what was the solution?

#2 ·
I had this happen on my car. With really low miles, I thought there was no way it could be the struts. Low and behold, passenger side was leaking bad (basically donezo), and the driver side was leaking as well. Had both replaced to the most recent revision struts (E and F).

If you can take a flash light, take at look at the struts to see if you see any excess or leakage. You should be able to see it without taking the wheel off, but you get a better view from either under the car or wheel off.

#3 ·
Any more details? When does the knocking occur, or what typically causes the noise? Just suspension movement? Can you narrow it down to a single side by loading the suspension on a turn?

#6 ·
Then it sounds like it's either the endlinks/swaybar are loose, or possibly an issue with your steering rack itself. First item would be easy to check to make sure it's all connected correctly, fully tightened, and not making contact with anything (like the arm between your rack and A-Arm).

I don't really have any pointers for testing the rack. Maybe sit there parked with the car on, then quickly turn the wheel back and forth. Does that reproduce the sound?

Is your suspension fully stock? You didn't mention that in your post.

#9 ·
I had this issue, endlink was loose and Swaybar was a little out of position causing body contact

#12 ·
Hopefully no steering rack probs, those are discontinued already. cough cough I mean warranty ate up all the available ones. Serious tho, no longer available.

#14 ·
ford is required by law to fix it under warranty, if not the same part, one that is better

#13 ·
Mine has developed knocking front suspension in the last couple of weeks, only noticeable at slow speeds over poor road surfaces.

3 months ago drivers side drive shaft boot leak replaced under warranty, engines was changed too in 2017.
They left a plug loose on the steering rack so the power steering was off & needed an RAC callout to plug in the diagnostics & identify that..... anyway there is a good chance something has been left loose..

I'm going to jack the car up on Saturday, a stiff length of wood or steel bar under a front wheel & a pivot point on the floor lets you work the suspension with your foot. Its quite good at replicating the slow-speed, low travel knock, used this method before when a dealer couldn't find the problem

#15 ·
Visited the dealership and again they couldn’t find anything. Pointed to suggestions made and preliminary conclusion now is that looks like to be a control arm issue. Agreed to the car on holiday and after see if we can replace the needed.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

#16 ·
Mine was in the dealer this week, I reported it as 'knocking sound from front suspension at slow speed bumpy roads, does it the same both sides - suspect steering rack or ant-roll bar tie rod ends"
They checked it & say they have ordered me a new steering rack to be fitted January.

#18 ·
I've started noticing the same thing on low speed bumpy roads. It just feels like something is loose in the front end that you can feel in the steering wheel. Problem is I've already replaced the control arm bushings with Powerflex solid poly bushings, so that pretty much just leaves the steering rack...

Another possible symptom I have noticed, with the car of and steering wheel centered. If I quickly shake it back and forth I can feel/hear the loose sound. Anyone with and without the issue want to test this to confirm?

#22 ·
Gear assembly is **** the part number has changed 5-7x already since 2016.

#23 ·
I had a knocking / rattling noise from the front of my 2017 from pretty early on and got a new rack put in at about 62k k's after finally getting fed up with the noise

Noticed it at first when turning into my rolled curb driveway and it progressively worsened until it became common when driving on unpaved / dirt surfaces - couldn't really hear it in normal driving, although if you drove over lane markers with the right front wheel it made the knock.

First off the dealer disconnected the sway bar links - knock was still there
Then they replaced right front shock - no change
Then they replaced right lower control arm - no change
Finally replaced the rack and the knock was gone - yay!
Rack was sent back to Ford Australia so no diagnosis of the source of the problem given to me.

Car is currently back at Dealers with 80k k's because the knock is back [emoji17] Exactly the same symptoms as before

Been thru the same 'check and tighten' process but no change - tomorrow they are going to undo the rack and check the mounting bushes to see if these are worn - if they are I said I would look into some aftermarket ones.

But if it isn't the bushes and it needs another rack after less than 20k k's I will be a bit concerned for when the car runs out of warranty [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#28 ·
I would think the noise we are hearing has to do with the tie rod ends, but could be wrong.

For people who are lowered, has anyone tried these? I know the evos need these to correct steering if lowered, but this is the only option I've found for the RS:

And

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.