Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 RS front end is making knocking noice, like a Tupperware box with something rattling in it. Been to the dealer, however say they can’t find anything. Has anyone experienced the same and if yes, what was the solution?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had this happen on my car. With really low miles, I thought there was no way it could be the struts. Low and behold, passenger side was leaking bad (basically donezo), and the driver side was leaking as well. Had both replaced to the most recent revision struts (E and F).

If you can take a flash light, take at look at the struts to see if you see any excess or leakage. You should be able to see it without taking the wheel off, but you get a better view from either under the car or wheel off.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Any more details? When does the knocking occur, or what typically causes the noise? Just suspension movement? Can you narrow it down to a single side by loading the suspension on a turn?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Knocking noice is at low speeds and more noticeable when steering left or right.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Then it sounds like it's either the endlinks/swaybar are loose, or possibly an issue with your steering rack itself. First item would be easy to check to make sure it's all connected correctly, fully tightened, and not making contact with anything (like the arm between your rack and A-Arm).

I don't really have any pointers for testing the rack. Maybe sit there parked with the car on, then quickly turn the wheel back and forth. Does that reproduce the sound?

Is your suspension fully stock? You didn't mention that in your post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pointers! and yes suspension is fully stock.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Someone on here had their steering rack replaced for a similar issue. IIRC they had to go to the dealer numerous times until the sound was really bad.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had it this happen when a lazy tech didn't properly secure the undertray after an oil change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all! Have another dealer appointment coming Wednesday and will use your input when again test driving to determine root/cause. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hopefully no steering rack probs, those are discontinued already. cough cough I mean warranty ate up all the available ones. Serious tho, no longer available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine has developed knocking front suspension in the last couple of weeks, only noticeable at slow speeds over poor road surfaces.

3 months ago drivers side drive shaft boot leak replaced under warranty, engines was changed too in 2017.
They left a plug loose on the steering rack so the power steering was off & needed an RAC callout to plug in the diagnostics & identify that..... anyway there is a good chance something has been left loose..

I'm going to jack the car up on Saturday, a stiff length of wood or steel bar under a front wheel & a pivot point on the floor lets you work the suspension with your foot. Its quite good at replicating the slow-speed, low travel knock, used this method before when a dealer couldn't find the problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Visited the dealership and again they couldn’t find anything. Pointed to suggestions made and preliminary conclusion now is that looks like to be a control arm issue. Agreed to the car on holiday and after see if we can replace the needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine was in the dealer this week, I reported it as 'knocking sound from front suspension at slow speed bumpy roads, does it the same both sides - suspect steering rack or ant-roll bar tie rod ends"
They checked it & say they have ordered me a new steering rack to be fitted January.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dealer replaced the rack & also the bottom arms because the bushes were worn. All under extended warranty & all back to normal now

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Dealer replaced the rack & also the bottom arms because the bushes were worn. All under extended warranty & all back to normal now
I've started noticing the same thing on low speed bumpy roads. It just feels like something is loose in the front end that you can feel in the steering wheel. Problem is I've already replaced the control arm bushings with Powerflex solid poly bushings, so that pretty much just leaves the steering rack...

Another possible symptom I have noticed, with the car of and steering wheel centered. If I quickly shake it back and forth I can feel/hear the loose sound. Anyone with and without the issue want to test this to confirm?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've started noticing the same thing on low speed bumpy roads. It just feels like something is loose in the front end that you can feel in the steering wheel. Problem is I've already replaced the control arm bushings with Powerflex solid poly bushings, so that pretty much just leaves the steering rack...

Another possible symptom I have noticed, with the car of and steering wheel centered. If I quickly shake it back and forth I can feel/hear the loose sound. Anyone with and without the issue want to test this to confirm?
I have this side-to-side clunk as well. I've also started noticing a front end clunk over larger bumps. 20kmi on the car, ~8k on Litchfield DDC coilovers. Just double-checked torque on everything, it's all tight.

·
Registered
743 Posts

Its the rack broski and those are dam expensive.............

1 - 20 of 34 Posts