Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Stinger is almost here in South-Africa. Cant wait to have a look at it and go for a test drive. 280wkw for a simple tune and high flow air filters is great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Seconded on the G70....same platform as the Stinger, but shortened and lighter AND with a manual option. Better styling too!

https://www.caranddriver.com/genesis/g70
I actually just watched a review video of the Stinger and the two guys doing it said the Stinger doesn't share a platform and then said it was "built from the ground up."

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I was in the same boat 2 months ago in that I was trying to decide; Kia Stinger AWD or the Focus RS. Well, being on this board, I "obviously" opted for the RS. I like the Kia. It's definitely a GT type car. It's roomy, rides smoothly, lots of power, lots of nice amenities. Definitely cornering is not as good as the RS. But it sure would be comfortable on long drives.

I'm kinda questioning my decision now. Part of choosing the RS was the ability to AX it and "track it", but right now, I've no desire to do either anymore. Being a way older driver, I find it a bit hard getting in and out of the RS and it being too firm a ride. Thinking I should have opted for the KIA given where I am in my life...
If your RS is working well, and has not mechanical issues/malfunctions/failures, etc, then you're in good order with a bad-ass car! Honestly, if I didn't have a problem with the computer/wiring that apparently can't be diagnosed/fixed, a leaky sunroof that the dealership says is fine, and a bad motor mount that causes excessive vibrations at idle and still isn't fixed after 2 months, I would absolutely be keeping this car!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dual owner here. I gotta say, the Stinger is incredibly comfortable and a joy for road trips. I'd highly recommend a test drive. No regrets, other than a paint recall on our Limited (being taken care of right now). It's not a replacement fr the RS, as the two aren't even in the same category, but it's a damn good looking four door that canmore than hold it's own.
sting.jpg

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
So apparently the new 2019 Stinger will get a "drift mode" now...

You can also have the Stinger GTS with rear-wheel drive, but then you’ll miss out on the D-AWD’s (Dynamic AWD) system’s adjustability. Kia explains that it has three main modes:

Comfort mode: 60 percent of power to the rear for feeling of stability
Sport mode: 80 percent of power to the rear for more spirited driving
Drift mode: up to 100 percent of power to the rear wheels and holds gears without upshifting
https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-kia-stinger-gts-gets-drift-mode-1834115960

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Dual owner here. I gotta say, the Stinger is incredibly comfortable and a joy for road trips. I'd highly recommend a test drive. No regrets, other than a paint recall on our Limited (being taken care of right now). It's not a replacement fr the RS, as the two aren't even in the same category, but it's a damn good looking four door that canmore than hold it's own.
View attachment 310830
Whats with the paint recall?

Ciao

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
I'm not a big fan on Hyundai or Kia because of how I was treated in dealerships when my wife was looking at crossovers a few years ago.

But with all this positive light on the GT from you all, I wouldn't mind giving it a test drive. Would personally buy an M3 with a 6spd over the GT, but that's because I'm a sucker for a MT and those bimmers are quite affordable used. If my RS was totaled today, or bought-back, I would probably start searching for a used M3, but definitely would give used and new/used Stinger GTs a look.

My 18 RS has been flawless, about to tick over 10k miles in the next 2 weeks or so as well. Only things it's needed were a new fog light and windshield

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I'm not a big fan on Hyundai or Kia because of how I was treated in dealerships when my wife was looking at crossovers a few years ago.
Dealer experiences, although somewhat influenced by the manufacturer, are entirely dependent on the owner and can vary wildly. My wife and I had a look at the Santa Fe and was pleasantly surprised of how good the car and the dealer was. Down the street was an Audi dealer, so we figured we'd check out the Q7 while we're there. The car was excellent, as you would expect, but booooy did we hate the sales guy and manager we were dealing with. I would have assumed that a "luxury" brand would mean a similar dealer experience, but maybe you have to actually be an owner to get that.

·
Super Moderator
16,039 Posts
Hhhhmmmm. With drift mode added does this mean we should expect a Stinger at AutoX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Dealer experiences, although somewhat influenced by the manufacturer, are entirely dependent on the owner and can vary wildly. My wife and I had a look at the Santa Fe and was pleasantly surprised of how good the car and the dealer was. Down the street was an Audi dealer, so we figured we'd check out the Q7 while we're there. The car was excellent, as you would expect, but booooy did we hate the sales guy and manager we were dealing with. I would have assumed that a "luxury" brand would mean a similar dealer experience, but maybe you have to actually be an owner to get that.
Agreed, it's so funny how different dealers and dealer brands treat customers. I was scoffed at whenever I walked into a BMW or Merk dealer back in Jersey. Went to a BMW dealer here in Denver (Downtown Denver BMW) a few weeks ago and they were beyond nice. Went to an Audi dealer a while back to look at the Q5 for my wife. Was in a suit after work on a Wednesday, played around with the Audi's for a good 30 minutes and no one came to help me. So I left.

·
Premium Member
2,669 Posts
I would have picked up a stinger if i have not picked up the last MY18 NB.

Pretty good car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Stinger GT is a good car, but is hampered by its execution and brand. I have a hard time believing dealers are cross shopping this car with BMW and Audi. Just my .02.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I like small Hatchbacks & IMO the Focus is the best looking Hatch on the street. As far as the KIA goes, that’s just way too big of a car for my taste. If I was looking for a performance sedan I’d consider a Fusion Sport. The AWD 2.7 Ecoboost is a very nice package for the money.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
After looking around at the Stinger GT and actually playing around with the interior and seats. It has less interior cargo room than the RS does. More rear passenger leg room of course, but its actually cargo capacity is less.

I'm keeping my eye on the Jaguar XF-S Sportbrake, and Porsche Panamera Turbo prices. The used ones are coming down in price and a 550hp Super Wagon sounds awesome to me. Like the RS, I'm saving the $$ because when I get into one I want a good one. And its certain I will in a few years.

I also keep my eye on Volvo V60 Polestars. Its like a RS but a little larger and heavier, not quite as nimble, but about as fast in a straight line.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Even if the KIA fully outperformed the RS in every way and was cheaper, I still wouldn’t buy one. That’s just me.

·
Premium Member
2,669 Posts
Apples and oranges if you will try to compare the RS to the Stinger.

Stinger is a Touring car..... the RS is more precision turning car.

If you can look past the Car Badge..... pretty good bang for the buck.

But to each their own..... that's how the car culture works.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Apples and oranges if you will try to compare the RS to the Stinger.

Stinger is a Touring car..... the RS is more precision turning car.

If you can look past the Car Badge..... pretty good bang for the buck.

But to each their own..... that's how the car culture works.
My wife was looking at the Audi RS5 Sportback before she decided on the GT Limited. I daily my RS, but drive her car relatively often.

In terms of build quality, features/tech, overall comfort, value and straight line performance, the Stinger destroys the RS.

I will always choose the Stinger for long highway drives but prefer the RS for back road and fun drives.

Like nicklulu said, it's an apples to oranges comparison. Both are great cars in their own right, and my advice would be: get both.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I can't get past the way it looks. It looks like each side of the car was designed by a different group of people and then slapped together at the end.

·
Premium Member
2,669 Posts
I think the designer and the engineer both came from BMW.... so I guess this is KIA's first crack on Euro.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Designers: Peter Schreyer (BMW M), and Gregory Guillaume (Volkswagen/Audi).

Engineer: Albert Biermann (BMW M)

There was definitely a heavy Euro influence.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts