Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know it's a little bit apples to oranges as the Stinger GT is more true to a GT car and the RS is more track-oriented and truer to an RS class. However, I'm getting my RS bought back from Ford so I'm suddenly in need of a car. I test drove the Stinger GT and liked it more than I thought I would. I had a bad motor mount on my 17 RS so the car vibrated badly at idle and super bad when the AC is engaged. Sitting in the GT, I was like, is this thing even running? I don't feel the car shaking/vibrating haha... So, my only problem with the GT is that, well, apart from the fact that it's a Kia, was it was soft vs tight suspension, which didn't make for the greatest corning. Apart from that, I was impressed with the smooth engine, and take-off speed. I'm also a sucker for fast-back cars. I actually just want the RS but I'm done with all the problems. My RS has been to the dealership a gazillion times in only 6k miles. ugh....

·
Registered
672 Posts
Crappy you have had so many problems with the RS. Personally mine has been flawless and I have tuned it pretty hard and beat on it regularly.

I really, really like the Stinger and if it had been out a year earlier I would have had a hell of a time choosing between the two of them. Superb GT car with a brilliant interior and the engine had a stack of potential for more. I would take significant steps to get one now if I was in the market. Check out the gains a) just from a set of fabric filters and b) an exhaust, catless DP, intake and a tune. Amazing that the tuner reckons the stock turbos have more to give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just made this trade a month ago. No regrets so far. I got the AWD GT1. Kia underrated these cars from the factory from MPG to crank TQ. I'm averagine 29mpg when I stay out of sport mode.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Also check out the new Hyundai Genesis sport G70...similar car...maybe slightly better depending on ur preferances. Kia/Hyundai have similar designs and components maybe a little better finish.

If your looking for a great awd sports sedan in the $30-40k range and willing to buy a used car, I'd highly recommend a late model B8.5 (2015 - 2016) Audi S4 or S5. These are probably some of the best all around sport sedans in that price range....and low mileage cars are available (10k -20k mi). Either the 6spd or 7spd dual clutch are great cars, I own a 2015 S4 DSG, and the supercharged engine is one of the most powerful yet flexible power plants...averages 22 mpg city, 30 hwy. Audi''s DSG is one of the best dual clutch designs for mixed use. It is not as fast as a Ferrari DSG but it is very good and excellent in urban driving. I like stick but this is the best DSG I've driven.

If you're interested, look for a premium plus version with the sport diff. The adjustable suspension is ok, but the std suspension is fine for 90% of users, IMO.

S5 is a little sportier, lower and maybe slightly better handling...sells for within a few thousand of an S4 but much less common.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Also check out the new Hyundai Genesis sport G70...similar car...maybe slightly better depending on ur preferances. Kia/Hyundai have similar designs and components maybe a little better finish.
Yepp, G70 is supposed to bit a bit faster but it is lighter. Has a smaller back seat, no sport back, and I think they overdid the diamond stitching WAY too much.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Having a Hatch-back, or Sport-Back like the Stinger GT is a completely under-rated thing.

It opens up cargo choices completely.

·
Super Moderator
16,039 Posts

Also remember that there was this video:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Genesis sport G70 has a trunk though.. i really like hot hatches or fastback/sportback, which the Stinger GT has. ...although, I HATE the fact that one has to get the top tier GT2 entire package just to get the auto lift for the hatch.. LAME!!!!! I want the auto lift in the GT1 trim level.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crappy you have had so many problems with the RS. Personally mine has been flawless and I have tuned it pretty hard and beat on it regularly.

I really, really like the Stinger and if it had been out a year earlier I would have had a hell of a time choosing between the two of them. Superb GT car with a brilliant interior and the engine had a stack of potential for more. I would take significant steps to get one now if I was in the market. Check out the gains a) just from a set of fabric filters and b) an exhaust, catless DP, intake and a tune. Amazing that the tuner reckons the stock turbos have more to give.

Whoa...?! that much difference from air filter mod????!!

·
Super Moderator
16,039 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Ok, I know it's a little bit apples to oranges as the Stinger GT is more true to a GT car and the RS is more track-oriented and truer to an RS class. However, I'm getting my RS bought back from Ford so I'm suddenly in need of a car. I test drove the Stinger GT and liked it more than I thought I would. I had a bad motor mount on my 17 RS so the car vibrated badly at idle and super bad when the AC is engaged. Sitting in the GT, I was like, is this thing even running? I don't feel the car shaking/vibrating haha... So, my only problem with the GT is that, well, apart from the fact that it's a Kia, was it was soft vs tight suspension, which didn't make for the greatest corning. Apart from that, I was impressed with the smooth engine, and take-off speed. I'm also a sucker for fast-back cars. I actually just want the RS but I'm done with all the problems. My RS has been to the dealership a gazillion times in only 6k miles. ugh....
So sounds to me like if it weren't for the relatively softer suspension, you'd be all over the Stinger, so it sounds like you are really in a market for a sport sedan. Budget-wise, there isn't really a lot there on the new car market apart from those already suggested, but as @Iflouie suggested, if you are open to buying used, this opens you up to so many more options: Audi A4/A5, BMW 3 or 5 series, etc.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I just made this trade a month ago. No regrets so far. I got the AWD GT1. Kia underrated these cars from the factory from MPG to crank TQ. I'm averagine 29mpg when I stay out of sport mode.
Can’t believe we don’t get the AWD version here in Australia. A lightly modded, tuned car with 300+ kw to all four wheels and that superb interior? Yes please!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Can’t believe we don’t get the AWD version here in Australia. A lightly modded, tuned car with 300+ kw to all four wheels and that superb interior? Yes please!

Didn't know you guys didn't get the AWD. I'm tempted to get the JB4 tuner but it has plenty of power for now and not sure I want to void the 10yr/100k warranty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was in the same boat 2 months ago in that I was trying to decide; Kia Stinger AWD or the Focus RS. Well, being on this board, I "obviously" opted for the RS. I like the Kia. It's definitely a GT type car. It's roomy, rides smoothly, lots of power, lots of nice amenities. Definitely cornering is not as good as the RS. But it sure would be comfortable on long drives.

I'm kinda questioning my decision now. Part of choosing the RS was the ability to AX it and "track it", but right now, I've no desire to do either anymore. Being a way older driver, I find it a bit hard getting in and out of the RS and it being too firm a ride. Thinking I should have opted for the KIA given where I am in my life...

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I have both an Audi S4 (2015) and a 2016 RS...two different cars...but share the common characteristics of AWD, powerful engine, good handling, vectoring rear diff, distinctive looks, ...one is a dual clutch 7spd the other manual 6spd. They are distinctly different cars and while there is a little overlap in usage the Audi is the clear winner for almost everything except for "point and shoot" cornering on tight back roads and " the grin on my face" when driving the RS. As a DD....there is no comparison = Audi. For hwy driving and passing = Audi. Zero to 60mph = a tie...but after 60mph = Audi. The interior is by far the Audi.

I love my RS...for the way I use it. For me it is mostly a weekend car, driven in the mountains and back roads of TN, where the roads are narrow, elevation changes, tight corners and good road conditions make it an absolute joy!!! As a DD it is too compromised for my sensibilities (age).

I fully understand the attractiveness of the Stinger, or Hyundai G70 sport type cars vs the RS and if I didn't live in an area where I had such gorgeous and challenging roads within 15 min of my home, I'd be looking at getting one as well. If you like everything about either of those cars, except the "soft" handling and are willing to trade off a smidgeon of comfort for handling, a set of stiffer swaybars ($500) or possibly upgraded struts (coilovers - $2k) would make a noticeable improvement. Even my Audi S4 which comes with factory Sport suspension has been upgraded to a set of Ohlins coilovers to match my expectations. These upgrades don't affect warranties and will change the feel and character of the car.

·
5,622 Posts
Just raced one today.
Still love the RS...
:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts