Discussion Starter #1
https://jalopnik.com/kia-is-practically-giving-away-stingers-1834577355

CAR BUYING
Kia Is Practically Giving Away Stingers

Tom McParland
Yesterday 9:10amFiled to: KIA STINGER
Illustration for article titled Kia Is Practically Giving Away Stingers
Image: Kristen Lee (Jalopnik)
We don’t need to remind you that the new Kia Stinger is a very good car. Though I will say that while the V6 model gets all the press, the cheaper turbo-four car is still a pretty awesome vehicle. And if you are in the market for a stylish and fun fastback, there are some incredible deals right now.

Article preview thumbnail
The 2018 Kia Stinger GT Is The Real Deal
In car reviews, recounting how much “better” the Korean automakers are than they were in decades…

Read more
Currently, Kia is offering a slew of incentives and programs for Stingers, though there are different tiers of discounts depending on whether or not you choose the four or six-cylinder model. Good news: the better money is on the faster cars.

Among the programs is a $2,000 competitive cash rebate that would apply if you own practically any car that is at least a 2011 model year. In addition to that on there is a zero percent APR offer for up to 66 months, plus a $2,000 cash back program. Normally you can’t combine the customer cash with zero percent, but the fine print says that select inventory has been “specially tagged” to receive both programs. Though keep in mind that the program is VIN specific, so not every car will qualify.

Good things come to those who wait and while about this time last year, Kia dealers were putting markups on the Stinger, the situation is very different now. If you do a quick search on the major listing sites you can find Stingers advertised with discounts at $10,000 off the MSRP and beyond.

However, as we know, Kia dealers have a bit of a reputation for playing games with online pricing to get people in the door. Given the variety of rebate programs at play here, often dealers will stack these discounts on their ads knowing that most customers won’t qualify.

That being said I’ve brokered a few Kia deals recently and based on actual dealer quotes it is possible to get substantial discounts depending on the region and the rebates.

One of the main criticisms of the Stinger when it first launched was that it seemed kinda pricey for a Kia, despite the value proposition it offered. For those folks who were interested in the Stinger but found it to be a bit out of reach, these hefty discount programs should bring the car into a more competitive range.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Might go test drive one this weekend. Zero intent on trading in the RS, but used examples are going to take a hit and may be even more affordable as a more comfortable second car in the future. I have a 40mi round trip commute that's mostly traffic, so an AT may be a good choice. I feel like i'm just wasting 30mi a day sitting in the traffic in RS, not enjoying it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call $35k "giving away", but I know it's relative to the msrp. Sounds like the resale value of Stingers will absolutely suck, so maybe the smartest move is to pick one up used in a year or so.

·
Registered
402 Posts
said by a RS owner...lol...I'm not a big "resale" guy get what you like and enjoy it
im sure the rs will have a much, much better depreciation curve than the stinger. compare it to the only 2 other cars in it class, 1 of which no longer exists (evo). considering the RS doesnt exist anymore either, it is fair to say the RS will depreciate similarly as an evo and STI which is to say very well. consider how few units there are and the unique features the RS has over these other 2 cars and the excellent styling.

the stinger on the other hand will depreciate even worse than the bmw's it competes with.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I was recently looking at used gen 2 Panamera 4Ss

They still have that FUGLY back end, but 415hp sounds nice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
said by a RS owner...lol...I'm not a big "resale" guy get what you like and enjoy it
if a 55K car is going for thousands off and add to that Kia's reputation, then yeah I'd be extremely concerned taking out any loan on this car. Resale value impacts other things, specially considering how no one actually owns cars anymore and simply trade or lease stuff after they get bored. "get what you like and enjoy it" sounds like a perfect recipe for "i'm in debt up to my eyeballs" if people don't manage their finances carefully.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Stinger is a tough sell, honestly. Between a used Chevy SS or a new/used Charger 392 it just doesn't have enough going for it. It reminds me a lot of the Genesis Coupe in that way. It's different, and an option; However, there are honestly better options out there.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
My point was that the RS has depreciated like a sinking ship...if that's your thing...well if you cant manage money then you will be in debt...We own all five of our cars/truck (paid off)...Too many... I want to down size but the wifey doesn't understand my concept of combining my RS and 13Z06 and getting a GTR for year round fun...oops better be careful I may end up in debt...j/k...its all good @matadorCE

·
Registered
81 Posts
My point was that the RS has depreciated like a sinking ship...if that's your thing...well if you cant manage money then you will be in debt...We own all five of our cars/truck (paid off)...Too many... I want to down size but the wifey doesn't understand my concept of combining my RS and 13Z06 and getting a GTR for year round fun...oops better be careful I may end up in debt...j/k...its all good @matadorCE
if you can swing that those of cars in your garage, more power to you and yeah drive what you like. But you're the exception, not the rule. It's not for nothing that car loans have ballooned and people are more and more in debt with car payments, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
The RS has taken the initial hit, sure. But it's not made anymore so watch it appreciate. No idea if it'll get back up to MSRP pricing but it will go up. Supply and demand.

I recommend buying or leasing this way. Don't buy anything you do not intend on keeping long term. If you are going to swap cars every few years, just lease them and be done with it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The head gasket issue knocked about 10 grand off the cars but they've held solid since. And I think they're inching back up now that it's been proven to be fixed. I wouldn't call it a sinking ship. But a C300 or any lincoln sedan or any Kia luxury sedan...ouch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I remember when the Stinger was new on the lots. I went to look at one and they would not even get the keys to it without me filling out a credit app. Fast forward to now and they are having to give them away...hahaha.... I hate sales people and dealerships that think they have the greatest thing ever and can't take a chance on letting people experience it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I remember when the Stinger was new on the lots. I went to look at one and they would not even get the keys to it without me filling out a credit app. Fast forward to now and they are having to give them away...hahaha.... I hate sales people and dealerships that think they have the greatest thing ever and can't take a chance on letting people experience it.
In ‘14 when I bought my focus ST I was also cross shopping with other cars. The subaru dealer had a bunch of STi’s and wouldn’t let me test drive a single one of them (I’m 30 by the way, not 18) and it pissed me right off. Mazda was even hesitant with letting me test drive a new-old-stock ‘13 speed3.

It’s absolutely mental!! It’s not a damned Ferrari. Ford let me test anything I want (fiST, foST, foRS) and even tossed me the keys to a gt350 when I dropped off my RS for the headgasket

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
The RS was the same way for most dealers.

I know the sales manager so didn't have any issues, but I know lots of other dealers coveted them. And even a few people who were proud of how my ADM the paid to get their RS.

If I had to pay ADM, I wouldn't have an RS. I will never pay ADM.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The subaru dealer had a bunch of STi’s and wouldn’t let me test drive a single one of them (I’m 30 by the way, not 18) and it pissed me right off.
When I went to look at the STi, they had one at the dealership that had almost been sold sitting inside the showroom floor. The guy put a deposit down and was picking it up later that week because he was out of town. The sales guy said I could be the owner for 5 grand more. He also said I could drive it around for a couple days and take it home to see how fun it was.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts