Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering today what others thought about possibly changing the tires (type) vs replacing them with the OEM's;once needed? If so, what type/brand would you get as replacements?

Anyone thinking of changing already?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'll be switching to Toyota Proxes R888, on some aftermarket forged wheels, as soon as the stocks are dead.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ill be switching to Dunlop Sportsmaxx RTs. Currently have those and I love them - the right mixture of Grip, road noise and durability.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've used the RE11 and first gen Rivals and both were excellent grippy tires with minimal sidewall flex, but the RE11 was better for wet and Rival better for dry. I'd like to see what their replacements are like with the Bridgestone RE71r and BFGoodrich g-Frorce Rival S.... Not sure if they're available in RS's size yet though. I figure for sure they would be after I wear out the Cup 2s

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I'm looking at either the RE71Rs or maybe the Nitto NT01 once the originals wear out.

When the originals are down to their last 10%, that's when I'll be looking to try out the Drift mode. :D

Jim

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm looking at either the RE71Rs or maybe the Nitto NT01 once the originals wear out.

When the originals are down to their last 10%, that's when I'll be looking to try out the Drift mode. :D

Jim
I'm almost tempted to just roast off my winters first so I can use drift mode, then save my cup 2's for track days and what not. Cheaper to buy 18's...

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
They're awesome tires, but also cost a fortune to replace. They're designed for the track and therefore have a terrible treadwear rating, something like 80, IIRC.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
They're awesome tires, but also cost a fortune to replace. They're designed for the track and therefore have a terrible treadwear rating, something like 80, IIRC.
No, that's the optional Pilot Sport Cup 2's. The Pilot Super Sports are great street tires, with a wear rating of 300, IIRC. Both cost around $270 each online to replace, PSC2's a bit more. I would eventually like something in between - something that didn't need a lot of heat (like the PSC2's do) but stuck like glue. The Nitto's are a great tire, but I need to do more research and get used to the car before I make the decision.

Jim

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
No, that's the optional Pilot Sport Cup 2's.
That's all we're getting up here in Canada and I keep forgetting that you guys get a choice, my bad. Regardless, I'd replace either tire with something else (once worn out).

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
first set of new tires will most likely be winter rubber, but if I had to buy summers today i would go with bridgestone 71R's in a 245/35 or a 255/35
by the time I do need a new set however, i wouldnt be surprised if there were a newer king of the mountain.
the only other 2 tires I might consider are the bfg Rival (if I downsize to 18's) and the dunlop star specs in a 245/40

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wait, nobody likes the original tires the RS comes with? I thought these were very highly rated tires?
The Pilot Super Sports are phenomenal tires. It's a really great all around performance tire with WAY better than expected wet grip, combined with tread wear that will surprise anyone coming from most other tires with similar performance (in a good way). To each, his/her own, but I am very happy with Ford Performance's choice as stock rubber on the RS.

When I take my RS to the track, which I will, it will be on R compound slicks and dedicated wheels. Even the Cups are a compromise for track duty, and much too much of a risk to street drive. Maybe in Arizona or California (where it doesn't rain) the Cups would be a good choice.

So yes, I am really happy with the stock RS tires based on my experiences with a set of them compared to my experience with a set of PSC2s.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Second set of wheels and some RE71R's will likely be on the car within a week or so of buying it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts