Ford Focus RS Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey do you have the new jbl stadium bass pro now? How is it?
No. I have the JBL Stadium BassHub now. It is similar to the JBL BassPro Hub. The BassHub is passive while the BassPro is powered. I have had both. They're both impressive for what they are, and outperform both my expectations and their particular specifications. Naturally the powered BassPro is a bit easier to install as is amplification is built in. The BassHub, for the additional effort, outperforms the BassPro when paired with a properly installed quaility amplifier.

Depending on which (if any) is on sale, your installation, and amplifier selection the cost could be very similar for both, or much more for the BassHub. For the extra effort (and cost) the BassHub will can provide more volume for the power, hit lower, and be slightly more accurate. With, in my case, ~4.8x the power (assuming 200 watts RMS is what the BassPro really does, Rockford Fosgate's Certificate of Performance Verification are to be believed, my gain settingsis ideal,) and greater sensitivity the BassHub in my RS messures an additional +6.2dB while playing a 40Hz test tone. I find the sound to be more accurate as well. It cuts much more cleanly, phase is more controlled (in my installation), and the "sweet spot" is more broad as it relates to volume and frequency within the time alignment I've done. In other words, the bass sounds (and feels) like it is part of the front stage at a large range of frequencies and volumes.

Had the BassHub been offered initially I likely would have gone with it, but I don't regret using the BassPro. The BassPro is very impressive for what it is. Frankly, I doubt many folks would be able to appreciate the difference the BassHub has made. I do, but I doubt many would if they did A/B listening to music in my RS with both installations. Much of my own appreciation comes from my testing, not simply music listening. Some songs at the upper end of the volume would be more obvious than others, but some songs the difference would be more difficult to discern particularly at moderate volumes.

I think the BassPro is a great solution for those that haven't invested much in the rest of their system. If the rest is stock, or speaker upgrade only, then the BassPro is probably more than sufficient to fill in the sound. The BassPro is easily worth the price premium over the Nano, IMO. The BassPro may even be enough for those who've upgraded the speakers, added some mild power, and done a bit of sound treatment. The BassHub, on the other hand, may be better for those that care to add a bit more power and take the time to properly tune a DSP. I honestly believe they are two of the best performing, minimally impactful, space saving, solutions available. That said, neither is going to blow your doors off or perform like a big boxed system. Both are still sacrifices in performes for some combination of saving space, installation effort, costs, weight, etc.

My setup is personalized to my budget, sound preferences, weight restrictions, impact to space, installation effort, etc. For those reasons I'm very, very, happy with it. I've not heard one that sounds better, IMO, done for less money, let alone with less impact (easily reversed), or less space. Sound is important to me, but not enough to sacrifice more space, add much more weight, or spend significantly more money for better sound. That said, I may, at some point, be willing to spend a bit more time and money to change things up. At this point, if I did, it would likely involve doing a custom (mostly fiberglass for minimal weight with decent cost ratio) enclosure to house a single shallow sub and other equipment including the OEM tire equipment) at the OEM floor height.

All of that said, both the BassPro and BassHub are excellent IMO. I believe they represent the best available in their space. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either.

Oh, one thing that bothered me about the BassPro is that the wired remote must be plugged in to operate properly, even if you don't want to use it. I didn't want to use it, as I had a DSP and all nessasry controls elsewhere. Still, I had to have that remote plugged in. That detail wasn't mentioned anywhere I looked (including the manual), before I purchased it. It may sound silly, but ditching that remote was a part of my motivation for switching to the BassHub.

·
Registered
28 Posts
These are some clean installs guys!! Do all of these installs require gutting the OEM sub for its wire harness?...or are you wiring it up independently of the OEM Sub so you can swap back anytime? Thx for the info!

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
These are some clean installs guys!! Do all of these installs require gutting the OEM sub for its wire harness?...or are you wiring it up independently of the OEM Sub so you can swap back anytime? Thx for the info!
If you do an amp replacement using the Maestro AR you needn't use the factory subwoofer connection at all. Even if you don't want to replace the factory amplifier you can use the factory subwoofer connection without sacrificing the OEM subwoofer, retaining the ability to more easily swap back to the factory subwoofer.

The first post in this thread has a variety of links to help you source the items to make something like this: Molex MX-150 4-Pin Male Connector which would plug directly into to OEM connection, with the same sort of connection the factory subwoofer uses.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts