Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
It was reported before that FoRS will produce 324lb of torque with extra 15 seconds of burst bringing torque to 346lb. I wonder is that what they are talking about and are simply not being specific (marketing at it's finest) or are these new numbers? If so, does it mean it will have 372lb of torque with extra 15 seconds burst. Honestly, I can't see European and NA model being that different in engine performance.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
15,323 Posts
The replies for the article on Jalopnik are a good read.

Curious mention about the anti-stall technology and it’ll automatically kick the clutch in for you?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
and whats with 15 seconds of burst? How often is someone going to floor the pedal for more than 15 seconds?
Every single person doing a track day on any reasonable large track.

·
Super Moderator
15,323 Posts
Found this mention of the anti-stall from Autoblog:

Yes, 350 horsepower and 350 pound-feet of torque. And the envy of every Subaru WRX STI, Volkswagen Golf R, and Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X driver on the road. That's what you'll get if you buy the all-new Ford Focus RS.

Ford finally released the final output figures for its all-wheel-drive rocket hatch, and they far exceed the original estimate of 315 horsepower. In fact, the 2.3-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder develops a staggering 152 hp per liter. Anyone remember when 100 hp per liter was a huge deal?

Engineers have used any number of tricks to reach the vaunted horsepower figure. The EcoBoost four gets an "all-new" low-inertia, twin-scroll turbo delivering a peak boost of 23.2 psi. The system also makes use of a sizable intercooler, a low-restriction intake manifold, and, of course, a performance exhaust.

On top of the engine tech and lofty output, Ford detailed the new Stall Recovery feature. A function of the start-stop system, the new technology will automatically restart the engine by simply pressing in the clutch after a stall. It strikes us a pretty innovative feature.

"We knew we wanted to have stop-start technology on the RS. We said, 'What if [we] went one step further and controlled for engine stall at launch using the same technology?' So that's what we did and it's just as fast as our stop-start technology," Focus RS engineering and vehicle manager Tyrone Johnson said.

Well, that does it. We're officially excited to drive the Focus RS. Production is slated to kick off later this year. Here's hoping our First Drive comes shortly after that happy day.

Ford Focus RS gets 350 hp, 350 lb-ft, stall recovery tech

·
Super Moderator
15,323 Posts
and whats with 15 seconds of burst? How often is someone going to floor the pedal for more than 15 seconds?
That's the EB technology.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Curious mention about the anti-stall technology and it’ll automatically kick the clutch in for you?
EDIT: Nevermind, the autoblog article gives more details, so it looks like the clutch engagement system is because of the auto start stop... Interesting use of the tech.

If it's like the FiST, there's actually ECU programming that blips the throttle when you let out the clutch which helps you not to stall (since it's drive by wire). I remember seeing the tables in the Cobb Accesstuner Race software. I don't think they're going to add any hardware that automatically engages the clutch unless they were going for a SMG type transmission.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

Bad writing by jalopnic? Restarts when clutch is pushed in after a stall.

·
Super Moderator
15,323 Posts
If it's like the FiST, there's actually ECU programming that blips the throttle when you let out the clutch which helps you not to stall (since it's drive by wire). I remember seeing the tables in the Cobb Accesstuner Race software. I don't think they're going to add any hardware that automatically engages the clutch unless they were going for a SMG type transmission.
It almost is starting to sound like it's tied to the Start/Stop feature that was mentioned when specs and order sheet was released.

·
Super Moderator
15,323 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
It almost is starting to sound like it's tied to the Start/Stop feature that was mentioned when specs and order sheet was released.
Yeah I edited my post after I read the autoblog article. The jalop article was pretty scant on details and didn't link to the Ford Press release.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,323 Posts
It's official:

Stall recovery:, things just got weird!

And yet even with all that torque, the manual-only hot hatch will be especially forgiving in the event a driver stalls the engine, as Focus RS will debut with a trick feature called stall recovery. In other words, there will be no need for drivers to manually restart the engine or move the gear selector to neutral as the innovative technology simply pushes the clutch back in.

“We knew we wanted to put start-stop technology on the RS,” explained Tyrone Johnson, engineering and vehicle manager, Ford Performance Europe. “So we said, ‘What if we went one step further, and controlled for engine stall at launch using the same technology?’ Well, that’s exactly what we did and it’s just as fast as our start-stop technology.”

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Simple, clever.

With this and hill assist they certainly seem keen on making Manual Gearboxes more accessible to the masses.

·
Super Moderator
15,323 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
26 Participants
Crooked Letta
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing