Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Looks good!

Did that mirror surround come with your install kit? Or is that what the factory surround for the mirror is now?
Factory as @ProfessorFate said :)

Excellent. That makes my Auto-dimming install even easier.

Stand by for an easy DIY in the next week :)
I'm interested! Especially if it comes with Homelink.

Hay man she's looking good! You have a nice mod list to work with :pride:
Thank you very much! I have so much stuff I want to install, but not enough time!

Josh... more deets on the F770 install when you have a chance to write it up. Mine is on the way, and is the first thing I will be doing to the car once the tint is on. Any pointers, things to watch out for, etc, would be great.

Congrats, btw!
I might have to defer to @RSno0b 's post found here http://www.focusrs.org/forum/30-focus-rs-electronics/1420-dash-cameras-7.html#post107548

Its very thorough and that's what I used to install mine! The only difference is that I ran the power cable under the rearview mirror shroud, then over to the passenger side A pillar. When I find an angled micro usb extender that works with the rear cam, I'll also run that behind the shroud and off to the driver side and then head back to the hatch. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'd be happy to answer them!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I might have to defer to @RSno0b 's post found here http://www.focusrs.org/forum/30-focus-rs-electronics/1420-dash-cameras-7.html#post107548

Its very thorough and that's what I used to install mine! The only difference is that I ran the power cable under the rearview mirror shroud, then over to the passenger side A pillar. When I find an angled micro usb extender that works with the rear cam, I'll also run that behind the shroud and off to the driver side and then head back to the hatch. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'd be happy to answer them!

Aha! Most excellent. Thanki sai.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Factory as @ProfessorFate said :)

I'm interested! Especially if it comes with Homelink.

Thank you very much! I have so much stuff I want to install, but not enough time!

Most certainly is Homelink!

Only been sitting on my desk for oh, I don't know, a month waiting for the car...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Most certainly is Homelink!

Only been sitting on my desk for oh, I don't know, a month waiting for the car...
I'm impatient :) Hey Cam, why would the factory surround make it an easier install? I'm hoping to do same. What do you have sitting on your desk? Brand? From where? Sorry Josh - don't mean to hijack your thread

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Josh, I can't remember, were you going to do a ceramic treatment to your RS?
I thought about it, but I think for now I'm just going to give her a good polish, glaze, sealant and then top it with a wax. I have all this Chemical Guys product I need to use anyway. :)

I'm impatient :) Hey Cam, why would the factory surround make it an easier install? I'm hoping to do same. What do you have sitting on your desk? Brand? From where? Sorry Josh - don't mean to hijack your thread
No worries, I'm interested too!

·
Registered
329 Posts
That surround makes for a cleaner install. It allows you to use factory equipment to hide the wiring for the power.

Here's the kit I have.

New Gentex Homelink Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror with Install Kit Over 100 Sold | eBay

The wiring seems decent, and the mirror comes VERY well packed. Not too bad for around 50 bucks.

If the RS had the ST style mirror (with no valence up top) you'd have to cover the wiring going up to the headliner.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ahh okay, now I see what you mean. Great looking score on the mirror you got too. My intention is to put my Subaru Homelink mirror from my STI on the the RS but that's IF it ever comes to town

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Got my RedlineTuning hood struts installed yesterday! One complaint so far, it seems as though I can't get the bolt tight enough to hold the front mounts in place, they rotate slightly as I close the hood.. I tightened them up a little more and I'll check them later today and see if its still doing it. I also removed the RedlineTuning sticker so now they look more OEM. I do need to pick up some "Frozen White" spray paint apparently to touch up the bolt heads - that paint cracked off super easy!

Before

After

EDIT: yup it's definitely still turning the bracket when I close the hood... So bad that its digging into the fender... I'll have to get touch up paint for sure. Anyone have any suggestions to hold this in place?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I found out why my hood struts don't want to stay in place... I even swapped with the second one up on the fender and tried it and the same thing happened. What the fudge bros!? I need to find a higher grade bolt replacement - AutoZone and Home Depot were no good...

Well THERES your problem...

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
did you hand tighten them in or use power tools? Pretty crazy.
It was just hand tightened - Either I need to lay off the steroids or I got a bad batch of bolts lol?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Well at least you found your problem.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Silly bolts cannot defeat me!

Out with the old, and in with the grade 10 bolts.

Be smarter than the bracket!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
41 - 60 of 261 Posts